Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Avid

Default Re: Subscription for Carbon driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Ah good to know, I was wondering because I had never noticed a problem with my HW inserts with my Omni ...

Honestly connecting the Bricasti via analog is not a big issue for me and I will do so on the Analog DB 25 , Which will still leave the 8 mic/line inputs free.
I actually only have 3 HW units ....
#1 A-Designs MP2A two channel mic pre (which I will run it's Out's into the (Input ) DB 25)
#2 IGS TubeCore 3U two channel Compressor ...... In's and Out's to the DB25 's
#3 Bricasti Two channel ....In's and Out's to the DB25's

I am not commercial, and only record myself, and so the Max number of mic's I might use at one time are 3 ,,,,,,so I see the Carbon as being perfect for my minimal self recording artist type needs.

I suppose that Hosa adaptor box would work ( but I am not an electrical engineer), Also thought the Carbon does not have a S/PDIF optical ports anyway, So I don't understand ? Or are you just asking for future reference ?

One more quick question, I think I remember on one of the numerous video reviews something about the input jacks being "smart connections " and was given to understand anything plugged into either the 2 front panel jacks or the 8 combi XLR's on the back, will automatically override any DB 25 connection's, correct ?" So once set up in the I/O matrix I don't have to change anything other than plugging or unplugging the jacks as needed ?
Ok, cool. So, will your setup look something like this?

DB25 In 1-2: MP2A
DB 25 I/O 3-4: TubeCore
DB 25 I/O 5-6: Bricasti
XLR In 7: Mic input
DB25 In 8 / XLR In 8: Unused

Keep in mind there are only 8 analog inputs total. 1-2 can be mic/line/inst. 3-8 can be mic/line. If you connect a DB25 cable for line inputs, and mics to the XLR combo jacks, you can toggle the input type between mic and line on the front panel without having to re-patch anything. For example, you could have a setup where you have 8 mics connected to XLR 1-8 and 8 HW inserts connected to DB25 line I/O. Switch input type for channels 1-8 to MIC while tracking. Then, switch the input type to LINE when mixing. No need to re-patch anything. Additionally, when a DB25 cable is connected to Line In and a TRS cable connected to the XLR combo jacks, that TRS connection overrides the DB25 connection. This is handy for times when you want to connect line outs from a device without disconnecting the DB25 cable. That's what we mean by "smart" connections.

Regarding optical S/PDIF, I was talking about adding it as a future feature. If we could do that, and that Hosa box worked, that'd free up the (Bricasti) analog I/O.
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-07-2020, 06:47 PM

My 2c: I really wish more boxes from lots of vendors would have S/PDIF IN/OUT or AES-EBU IN/OUT. Yes I know you folks are almost out of panel space. But failing that yes adding S/PDIF to the TOSLINK connections would be great (even better if they can be split ADAT and S/PDIF in flexible configurations) . That lets a cheap optical to copper adapter be used for adding many outboard boxes, like Eleven Racks and Fractal FXs or similar.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Ok, cool. So, will your setup look something like this?

DB25 In 1-2: MP2A
DB 25 I/O 3-4: TubeCore
DB 25 I/O 5-6: Bricasti
XLR In 7: Mic input
DB25 In 8 / XLR In 8: Unused
Yes that is basically what I was thinking and even though I developed the habit of recording dry no verb and no comp (from originally starting in PT having only a Digi 002 and PT LE in 2003 ).And I am thinking that set up would allow me to record through the M7 and 3U on the way in if I wanted to, with little latency ....

And that channel order is more or less how I had things connected to my Omni Here is a snap of my old input tab matrix. Note I did not have anything connected 7-8 ADAT that just came up by default for the Omni.

Quote:
Keep in mind there are only 8 analog inputs total. 1-2 can be mic/line/inst. 3-8 can be mic/line. If you connect a DB25 cable for line inputs, and mics to the XLR combo jacks, you can toggle the input type between mic and line on the front panel without having to re-patch anything. For example, you could have a setup where you have 8 mics connected to XLR 1-8 and 8 HW inserts connected to DB25 line I/O. Switch input type for channels 1-8 to MIC while tracking. Then, switch the input type to LINE when mixing. No need to re-patch anything. Additionally, when a DB25 cable is connected to Line In and a TRS cable connected to the XLR combo jacks, that TRS connection overrides the DB25 connection. This is handy for times when you want to connect line outs from a device without disconnecting the DB25 cable. That's what we mean by "smart" connections.
OK "toggle the input type on front panel " answers my question, thanks

Quote:
Regarding optical S/PDIF, I was talking about adding it as a future feature. If we could do that, and that Hosa box worked, that'd free up the (Bricasti) analog I/O.
That is what I thought you were getting at

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-08-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:29 AM

Hi Kyle,
Will Protools Carbon support delay compensation on sidechains?
Looks like this has been asked quite a few times and still no answer.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
Hi Kyle,
Will Protools Carbon support delay compensation on sidechains?
Looks like this has been asked quite a few times and still no answer.
Carbon is hardware. Sidechains and Delay Compensation happen in the box(hardware has no affect) I don't presume to speak for Kyle, but I think most avid employees are off for the holidays

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2020, 08:16 AM

So as I await the Carbon unit I ordered to be delivered to my independent Pro Audio store.
I am wondering if the fire at the AKM converter chip factory in Japan has/or will have any affect on Avid ? ( I do not know if Avid uses AKM chips in the Carbon unit or not ) Just wondering .

Also as I wait, I have just downloaded PT Ultimate 2020. 12 which I always do even, if I wait a while to install and was looking at the HD driver download.
If I remember correctly,,,, even though Carbon can run Ultimate, it does not require the HD driver, or any driver ,,,is this correct ? I probably already asked this or heard it BUT I have read so many reviews and looked at so many Videos My head is ready to explode and I may know less than when I started

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Carbon is hardware. Sidechains and Delay Compensation happen in the box(hardware has no affect)
not really, a mix done on my HDX system loses all sidechain delay compensation when I change the playback engine to an MBox for example... same software, same computer, different I/O / dsp