Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 AM

Question 003 only as controller - AVID please comment

So PT 9 gets 32 i/o, NAMM2011 is over --> no 004 (and i think as many other users there will be no 004)

What to do with the 003?
I worked about 3 years with that one and like it very much. But today i want more than 16 i/o and don't want to change every time the hardware (if i use maybe the profire 2626) when i need more than 16 i/o. Also if i change, the 003 controller is useless and i can sell it to get another controller.

So Avid, is the "003 controller function only" possible and will it happen in the near future???
Please give us 003 users a short statement, that we know where we stand.

Maybe someone with specific technical knowledge can give a comment if it is possible with the 003 - but please no "i think it can be done"...
Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Re: 003 only as controller - AVID please comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstu View Post
So Avid, is the "003 controller function only" possible and will it happen in the near future??? ...
Yep, its called EuCon

http://www.euphonix.com/artist/solutions/protools.php

I replaced my 003 console with a 003+ rack & a MC Mix & MC Control!! - some horsetrading & I spent only $370 on getting set up!! (did start the process straight after AES when the 003 still had a pretty good residual value!)
Old 02-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Hi Draulym,

okay, i know about the Euphonix MCs, but that is not really the way i want to go if in a few weeks the 003 gets "only controller function".

btw 003 vs 003+, i still wil have 16 or max 18 i/o and i am there were i was before.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstu View Post
Hi Draulym,

okay, i know about the Euphonix MCs, but that is not really the way i want to go if in a few weeks the 003 gets "only controller function".

btw 003 vs 003+, i still wil have 16 or max 18 i/o and i am there were i was before.
Fair enough.... I'm where I was before, but I'm preparing for a shift to PTHD native - not happening for another year or so, but I'm good to go control surface wise when I do....

As for 003 "controller only" - that'd be like buying a car with all the aircon hardware installed but disconnected - dont think avid will do that, & now the euphonix stuff is working with PT9 IMO there wont be a 004 console (004 rack - probably.... 24 I/O would be nice "hint hint avid!!!")
Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 PM

I will pay Avid $500.00 for a driver to allow the 003 to be used as a controller only!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Buying Native + OMNI + Controller at once is too much $$$ for me, I'd be happy to get Native + OMNI and use my 003 as a controller for now, I'd buy a nice AVID controller later.
BUT as I can't use my 003 (nor 002) as a controller I DON'T buy neither Native nor OMNI.
This is a BAD policy on AVID side, isn't it?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
Buying Native + OMNI + Controller at once is too much $$$ for me, I'd be happy to get Native + OMNI and use my 003 as a controller for now, I'd buy a nice AVID controller later.
BUT as I can't use my 003 (nor 002) as a controller I DON'T buy neither Native nor OMNI.
This is a BAD policy on AVID side, isn't it?
This is my situation too. I would really like to keep using my003 but am ready to get at least HDN+omni or HdIO.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 PM

So... fine to see, that I'm not the only one who likes the 003 and don't want to change.

I would pay for an driver update / upgrade too ...

It would be very nice if avid would come in here and give us a statement.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 AM

I have a 003 Rack and I like it a lot.

I want to buy an HD 7 system, but still use my 003 Rack for my input and output and as a monitor controller.

Do you think Avid would do a firmware upgrade that would allow me to connect my 003 Rack to an HD Core Card?

I know that the 003 Rack is designed for LE, but I really like it, and I want to use it for my HD 7 rig.

I could get the new I/O, but the color of the units would really clash with the colors in my studio.

So Avid, would you please come up with a firmware upgrade so I can use a piece of equipment designed for one thing for something totally different...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I have a 003 Rack and I like it a lot.

I want to buy an HD 7 system, but still use my 003 Rack for my input and output and as a monitor controller.

Do you think Avid would do a firmware upgrade that would allow me to connect my 003 Rack to an HD Core Card?

I know that the 003 Rack is designed for LE, but I really like it, and I want to use it for my HD 7 rig.

I could get the new I/O, but the color of the units would really clash with the colors in my studio.

So Avid, would you please come up with a firmware upgrade so I can use a piece of equipment designed for one thing for something totally different...
LOL... Bill, you crack me up.

Sent from my Viewsonic G Tablet running TnT Lite 4.2.2 w/ Clemsyn's Kernel using Tapatalk Pro