Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 11-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Default So is PT9 Compatible with SC48 or not?

I've got myself confused now. Is PT9 not compatible with SC48? My understanding is that is was but only could record/play 18 tracks and not the 32 that PT9 could do? I thought PT9 and the new console software and Venue link were all compatible? Clarification needed please, thanks!!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Re: So is PT9 Compatible with SC48 or not?

I guess the short answer is no. Venue link is for HD systems.

Q. Which versions of Pro Tools software are compatible with VENUE 2.9 software?
A. Pro Tools HD 8.1 (compatible with HD Core) or Pro Tools HD 8.5 (compatible with HD Native)
are required in order to use the new VENUE Link features included in VENUE 2.9 software. Pro
Tools 9 and previous versions of Pro Tools LE do not currently support the VENUE Link features.
Previously qualified versions of Pro Tools are still compatible with VENUE 2.9 for recording and
playing back audio, but do not support the VENUE Link features.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Really?

Why in the world would Avid come out with a new sotware upgrade that wasn't compatible with all consoles? So aside from supporting the new "optional" I/O card, not a single feature was added for the SC48? AND, the new PT doesn't work on the desk either? Seriously, I love the console, but do I have this right?

My delima is this: I want to be able to mix down live recordings at home which would require me to have an Avid compatible I/O (Mini or Transit), becuase upgrading to PT9 for $225, which is cheaper than buying the Mini and adds the ability to not need an I/O to run, is not compatible with the console, YET???? What would you guys do? Buy the Mini, or wait and HOPE that the figure a way to make PT9 compatible with SC48 soon? Thanks, and sorry for my rant, just a little frustrated.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:01 PM

I don't know for sure, but maybe we can use PT9 with our desks for recording and playback but the new features like Venue Link are for HD systems only and as you probably know the new 32 IO is also not available to Venue users yet. I don't have PT9 so I cannot test this right now.
It's all too messy right now. It should be more clearly stated what runs with what on Venue pages of Avid site!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:01 PM

Getting the 32 track count for FWx systems is something that AVID has their sights on. The concept of VENUE Link is for HD systems...because the DAW is mirroring the I/O of the console, which is not what a non-HD system is designed to do. FWx users could benefit from the Snapshot stamps, but that is about it. I guess we are just sitting stagnant until a 32 I/O is introduced for VENUE systems.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 PM

So while we all wait for 32 track I/O, can I use PT9 as a simlar 18 track I/O with my SC48 or not? The webiste compatibility chart does not mention Venue, so am I to believe that PT9 cannot be used as I use PT8LE with my console? Again, I am weighing out buying an interface for my PT8LE so I can mix at home or crossgrade to PT9 in which I would not need an I/O. PT9 - 18 Track I/O - SC48, yes or no? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Avid

Hi Chris,

With each new release (especially one as significant as PT9) the VENUE test team has a certain procedure they follow to make sure everything works as advertised. This is currently in process for all VENUE products and we expect to announce compatibility in just a few short weeks. Until then the fully qualified versions are PT 8.x as mentioned in the Pro Tools 9 FAQ.

Sheldon
Old 11-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Chris, I went ahead and istalled PT9 on my laptop over my PT8LE and PT8M-Powered installations. Just a quick test showed that PT9 seems to work with SC48. I was able to send 18 channels to PT from the desk and I could use the Smaart as I used it before (to send pink noise to console and get mic and reference signal back to Smaart). So I believe if I were you I would go ahead and get PT9.

I guess we need to understand that PT9 cannot be officially supported until all the features work like advertised (32 io for example).
Old 11-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Avid

Just so there's no confusion, when compatibility with PT9 is announced it will still offer 18 channels with FWx, not 32. Increasing the channel count is separate work from making sure all of the basic functionality (with 18 ch) works.

Sheldon
Old 11-29-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Just so there's no confusion, when compatibility with PT9 is announced it will still offer 18 channels with FWx, not 32. Increasing the channel count is separate work from making sure all of the basic functionality (with 18 ch) works.

Sheldon
Sheldon,

Can you give us any idea how much you think we need to wait to have 32 channels with FWx?

Kristo