Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2016, 11:45 AM

Default PROTOOLS 12.7 is Working awesomely !! :)

I am very happy I had some problems when i first installed and then i just re installed I did A clean uninstall and re installed again ( I didn't Trash Preferences) nothing major at some Protools 10 want working either that led to the Clean uninstall

I think that one of the problems i had was related to the New Plugins i deleted them somewhere prior to one of the Re Installs and I am over all very very happy

Im working on an Hour long TV Program with many many tracks and Lots of editing had a couple of warning messages about video (MP4) and then it just works not one crash working !00% better than 11.3 Im on and iMac 2013 2.9 I have 16 gigs of Ram still on El Capitan , I have a clean Machine all the software is legal No cracks!

i am Super impressed just saying!! I read all these problems and it surprises me
Old 12-31-2016, 02:45 PM

Default Re: PROTOOLS 12.7 is Working awesomely !! :)

I'm so glad you don't have to work with midi or virtual instruments.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2016, 02:51 PM

I'm not actually intending to troll, but could you sum up the problems with VI and MIDI in ProTools? I admit I don't do much in that area, but whenever I've done a little, it's worked for what I needed.

I know tons of people have major complaints, just looking to enlighten myself.

Tim
Old 12-31-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloke View Post
I am very happy I had some problems when i first installed and then i just re installed I did A clean uninstall and re installed again ( I didn't Trash Preferences) nothing major at some Protools 10 want working either that led to the Clean uninstall

I think that one of the problems i had was related to the New Plugins i deleted them somewhere prior to one of the Re Installs and I am over all very very happy

Im working on an Hour long TV Program with many many tracks and Lots of editing had a couple of warning messages about video (MP4) and then it just works not one crash working !00% better than 11.3 Im on and iMac 2013 2.9 I have 16 gigs of Ram still on El Capitan , I have a clean Machine all the software is legal No cracks!

i am Super impressed just saying!! I read all these problems and it surprises me

Working well on my PC as well.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
I'm not actually intending to troll, but could you sum up the problems with VI and MIDI in ProTools? I admit I don't do much in that area, but whenever I've done a little, it's worked for what I needed.

I know tons of people have major complaints, just looking to enlighten myself.

Tim

Oh god, how do we start?

1- on Protools 12.6 midi was recorded late depending on your buffer size settings.

2- on PT 12.7 they fixed the midi bug but now sustain and pitch bend don't play back well.

3- On any Protools version, if you want to use an external hardware synth, you have to set manually the "midi offset" preference according to your general latency to be able to playback your midi recording in sync with your song. This is an automatic feature on every DAW but Protools.

4- If you want to use a Virtual Instrument like Geist2 or Akai Mpc plug in, all your programming will play out of sync depending (again) on the latency of the delay compensation.

5- Sometimes Protools forgets the midi assignment of a virtual instrument or a hardware instrument. Lets say you finish your song, save it and when you open it again, your virtual instruments are unassigned. Really beautiful!

6- When you commit an instrument with multiple outs routed to aux channels, some of them will not play if you hide and make inactive the main virtual instrument, this is a very weird bug, because the waveform is there! But if you hide and make inactive the original midi track, your rendered tracks will not play...classy!

These are on the top of my memory but there are many more.

As you said you can read the last 3 pages of this forum to find many users complaining about midi implementation on Protools.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del cosmos View Post
Oh god, how do we start?

1- on Protools 12.6 midi was recorded late depending on your buffer size settings.

2- on PT 12.7 they fixed the midi bug but now sustain and pitch bend don't play back well.

3- On any Protools version, if you want to use an external hardware synth, you have to set manually the "midi offset" preference according to your general latency to be able to playback your midi recording in sync with your song. This is an automatic feature on every DAW but Protools.

4- If you want to use a Virtual Instrument like Geist2 or Akai Mpc plug in, all your programming will play out of sync depending (again) on the latency of the delay compensation.

5- Sometimes Protools forgets the midi assignment of a virtual instrument or a hardware instrument. Lets say you finish your song, save it and when you open it again, your virtual instruments are unassigned. Really beautiful!

6- When you commit an instrument with multiple outs routed to aux channels, some of them will not play if you hide and make inactive the main virtual instrument, this is a very weird bug, because the waveform is there! But if you hide and make inactive the original midi track, your rendered tracks will not play...classy!

These are on the top of my memory but there are many more.

As you said you can read the last 3 pages of this forum to find many users complaining about midi implementation on Protools.

Thanks for this summary, it should be a sticky, or we need a conclusive list of bugs written this concisely somewhere. This isn't a question of finding work arounds, this is basic functionality. I could really do with an "underwhelming" release that addressed these. Hopefully this year Avid will close some of the distance between their development cycle and Apple/Windows mad rush without breaking more delicate parts of the system.

To the OP, most of my work is editing and mixing, so I'm relieved to know it is pretty solid on that front. Thanks for taking the time to share that it mostly works fine!
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC
Old 12-31-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del cosmos View Post
Oh god, how do we start?

This one drive me crazy. I also see it when activating a instrument track after committing it. But it's totally random, sometimes PT will loose the assignment, and other times it won't. This bug has been around for a while.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
This one drive me crazy. I also see it when activating a instrument track after committing it. But it's totally random, sometimes PT will loose the assignment, and other times it won't. This bug has been around for a while.
Since 8.11 and maybe even earlier

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-01-2017, 01:34 AM

And there are the copy paste issues. For one, we need a "paste in place" command. This would preserve copied notes that begin slightly before the grid line, much like audio.

I love editing audio in Pro Tools, I would love to see MIDI come up to the same greatness.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-01-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
Thanks for this summary, it should be a sticky, or we need a conclusive list of bugs written this concisely somewhere. This isn't a question of finding work arounds, this is basic functionality. I could really do with an "underwhelming" release that addressed these. Hopefully this year Avid will close some of the distance between their development cycle and Apple/Windows mad rush without breaking more delicate parts of the system.

To the OP, most of my work is editing and mixing, so I'm relieved to know it is pretty solid on that front. Thanks for taking the time to share that it mostly works fine!