Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2016, 06:10 PM

Default Good night, Pro Tools!

Here I am, with hours left before I am officially unable/unwilling to keep up with Pro Tools. It's been fun. As a struggling family man, I am currently not in a position to plunk down $400 to keep up within the time limit. And though I might one day manage to scrape up the $400, it will then be $1,000, and that ain't never happening, barring some sort of miracle. I guess I just ain't using PT in a manner successful enough to keep up with the industry standard. It's gonna smart when I look and see they finally start adding the features i'd been waiting ages for (namely, marker improvements). But so it goes. If I've gotten on with it this far, I can just keep doing things they way I have been, and hope for the best!

Yay subscription plans!

Last edited by EricWillhelm; 06-01-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Good night, Pro Tools!

As much as everyone (it seemed) hated the Wave WUP program, ironically it seems a better renewing system in place.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 PM

At least the WUP doesn't penalize you with a huge price increase if your coverage lapses.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:24 PM

We will all be there shortly. As an HD owner, I can't believe I spent 4 times what vanilla costs and have seen zero features added. Yes plugins that I didn't need were added. But thats not innovation. Definitely doesn't justify the cost.

Unless avid changes something...big time...and soon, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would spend another cent with this company. It's getting very hard to recommend this product to my students and anyone I know. Such a shame. 1 feature added in 6 months is shameful. Especially considering it's a feature we didn't ask for and introduced the buggiest version of pro tools I have used. I have been on pro tools since version 6. I'm so angry I can't even begin to express my frustration.

- Andy
Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
Here I am, with hours left before I am officially unable/unwilling to keep up with Pro Tools. It's been fun. As a struggling family man, I am currently not in a position to plunk down $400 to keep up within the time limit. And I will NEVER be in a position to plunk down $1,000 from tomorrow on. I guess I just ain't using PT in a manner successful enough to keep up with the industry standard. It's gonna smart when I look and see they finally start adding the features i'd been waiting ages for (namely, marker improvements). But so it goes. If I've gotten on with it this far, I can just keep doing things they way I have been, and hope for the best!

Yay subscription plans!
Sorry to hear this Eric, it's been a long run. Perhaps Avid will open a door for you when you see those new features you've been patiently waiting for.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
At least the WUP doesn't penalize you with a huge price increase if your coverage lapses.
I got an email from them awhile back wanting $300 for my wup....It's nice I can update at any time but right now I'd rather spend that money at Slate Digital....He's never charged for an update yet....I think I like that plan better ATM.....moon
Old 05-31-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
I got an email from them awhile back wanting $300 for my wup....It's nice I can update at any time but right now I'd rather spend that money at Slate Digital....He's never charged for an update yet....I think I like that plan better ATM.....moon
Wait, Waves will send you a 25% coupon via email as an incentive to renew.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Wait, Waves will send you a 25% coupon via email as an incentive to renew.
Which you can use at other online retailers like Audio Deluxe and Waves Universe to save even more on your renewal.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM

Hi Eric. Like you I am unable financially to run with the pack! I am a long since retired musician who always had a yearning to learn what I could about the recording side of the music industry. I'm a senior citizen,(fixed income) and like you just don't have the money to support my habit! If I am correct, I believe Avid/Pro tools started back when digital recording was an infant. They took technology from Alesis and ran with it. They built their reputation with pro studio operators. Soon it was evident to them that there was a vast market out here in beginner land of musicians and song writers, aside from the pro studio world, waiting to be harvested. I am stuck at the PT's 9 level and that is where I am forced to stay. I read the scary posts here daily about the numerous quirks and issues with higher level PT's versions and for that reason alone I would not move up, even if I could afford to. I can't believe that Avid can't fix these problems! I don't think they want to. Here is my own conspiracy theory. I believe that they want to move back to the pro studio owner/operator class therefore eliminating us commoners with our complaints and hate mail!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:07 AM

I have more often than not felt they are trying their darndest to keep the 90's price points alive. Yes, it's sad in it's way that the big studios are dropping like flies, and that more people are getting more done without $20,000 consoles/boards/gear etc. It must suck to have to face the music when you were once able to charge $500 for an insanely primitive CD burning app (Masterlist). My favorite PT move continues to be the removal of already-in-place features, and then re-selling them to us for $1,500 (DV Toolkit).

So it goes. My Achilles Heel continues to be that I'm just so comfortable with my PT shortcuts and workflow. I know if I just set the time and really dedicate myself to learning another DAW (like Reaper) I will eventually be happy!