Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 AM

Default Plan On Building A New PC For PT - Recommend Motherboards & Components Please!

I want to build a completely new PC soon which will run PT10 and 11 without a hitch. I am looking for recommendations for components and for what I should avoid. (last PC I built was in 2007 yikes!).

I currently use my Lenovo laptop w/2 SSDs and it runs PT awesomely.

For the build, please recommend

1. Motherboard
2. CPU (Cheap - Expensive)
3. RAM (I want to max it out)
4. Graphics Card
5. SSDs (I want 2 or 3)
6. DVD/BluRay drive
7. Card Reader

How many of you are using Cloud Storage for your sessions now? The world has changed in the last 5 or so years, so I want to be up to date now.

Any of you using Windows 8 in the studio?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Plan On Building A New PC For PT - Recommend Motherboards & Components Please!

My choices(if I were building today)
intel i7 6 core socket 2011
Asus or Gigabyte x79 motherboard
32GB of fast quad-channel RAM
modest fanless nVidia graphics
Samsung 840 Pro(maybe the only SSD I would consider)
standard DVD burner(but BR might make a good archival system)
no comment on cloud storage(but I use Dropbox a lot)
Card reader? for what?
Until they make Windows 8 LOOK like 7, I'll stay with 7(64 bit of course)

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Plan On Building A New PC For PT - Recommend Motherboards & Components Please!

Albee, thanks for chiming in! You've always been very knowledgable.

Any particular fanless nVidia card you'd recommend?
Any particular motherboard you'd recommend?

Card Reader because I archive a lot of things on SD cards. I can even run sessons off of SD cards on my Lenovo laptop (I have a few 256GB SD Cards)
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Video cards are tough. The market changes on them at a breakneck pace. I am nvidia 520 based card.

Windows 8 is working good w PT 11

I won't put my daw online so cloud storage for it is not an option. Gobbler would be one of your best bets if your interested.

I use the cloud to transfer and move files to bands and such.

Albees computer specs are my recommendation as well. The I7 3930k is the beast at the moment. Gigabyte and Asus x79 boards are the most used around here.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM

epu and guitardom, I'll ask you folks the same thing I just asked albee1952 in another thread. Is there a master list of components I'll need to create my own machine?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
epu and guitardom, I'll ask you folks the same thing I just asked albee1952 in another thread. Is there a master list of components I'll need to create my own machine?
To a degree, yes.

New from the ground up, or wanting to recycle parts??

the obvious non system dependent parts include:
1. Case. personal preference. Make sure you like the layout, enough hard drive-5.25 spaces.

2. Power Supply: DONT SKIMP, go name brand. I would recommend between 650-850 somewhere is plenty for most people. i prefer Corsair and OCZ. if its over 3 years old, i will never recycle them to another machine. will always buy a new one.

3. video card. this gets ugly. so many opinions and needs for different people. i dont work video, so i go as cheap and simple as possible as well as fanless. Nvidia is recommended at the moment. mine is similar to this, but dual dvi. I completely understand someone wanting something better. But this works fine for me. If your considering a Hackintosh, this part must be researched to be compatible for your build.

4. any specific peripheral pci cards. usb, firewire, whatever you might need.

5. possible case fans. dont need screaming fast. look for the lower db levels

6. optical drive if needed

7. hard drives. do we really need to go here?? make sure your case has enough space to house the amount of them you need.

more detailed parts:
Motherboard
Cpu
Cpu cooler
Ram

Think of these like one large part. they are all purchased on the basis of what you want and want to spend, but they must all be compatible.

1. I prefer Gigabyte motherboards, but Asus work great as well. go through the board specs and see if it has enough usb ports, firewire specs if you need it, enough sata ports, etc. also make sure you are ok with the amount of ram slots. cheaper boards will have limited ram slots. I stay name brand here. need to verify if your going hackintosh.

2.Ram should be checked on the vendor website or other users as working before purchase. some brands and types of ram will not always play well with every MB. be sure to know the channels your cpu has in order to match the amount of the ram sticks. the original I7's were triple channel, so you wanted ram in stick sets of 3 for best performance. so make sure you know.

3. only idiots use the included cpu cooler with the cpu. the 3930k does not come with one. If you got offended by this, then I mean you! check size of this to make sure it will fit in your case. look up ratings and check other users. this part is SERIOUSLY vital. also before you mount your motherboard, make sure you dont have to have a mounting plate on the back of your motherboard for this cooler or you will have to pull it all back out.

4. the cpu is the center of your entire machine. choose wisely! the 3930k is the big boy on the block for a few more minutes and I have not seen ANY failed builds as compared to the 1150 socket (ivy bridge) processors that has had a handful here. another part that should be verified if going hackintosh.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 AM

Exactly^^^^^ I recommend the Antec P280 case as its very quiet, has decent cable management and lots of drive slots(on a smaller budget, grab a used P180 tower off eBay. Its good, but the 280 is better). I also recommend at least a single slot trayless SATA drive cage(you can get a caddy to use with an SSD drive). That makes swapping the system drive fast and painless. I also keep my recording drives in the cage as well, but I run triple and quad cages, depending on how many 5.25" bays are in the case(and whether you want an internal DVD burner).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the intel.

Before I get into some of the specifics of this, I've got one question. I'll try to make it brief. Feel free to skip ahead to last aragraph for question, but on the way there is why I ask what I ask.

I chatted with a guy at Tiger Direct online and in person with a fellow at my local Best Buy. I have a PC tower that I bought from Best Buy 3 years ago, June 27th, 2010. I've upgraded RAM and Added two heard drives.

I asked each person if I could upgrade motherboard and processor. In each instance, no. The Best Buy dude explained that Asus made that tower in such a manner that the screw holes will not align or something to that effect. Tiger Direct simply said nothing is available except stock replacement parts.

Here's my question. If I build my machine, will I suffer the same fate a few years from now when upgrades are needed, or is this some form of cruelty done to me by Asus (or any company) that makes me come back for new PC each time need bigger-meaner-stronger?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 AM

Answering a couple questions from earlier....let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
New from the ground up, or wanting to recycle parts??
#1: I want to recycle my two WD Black HDs that I put in my current machine. One holds my VI stuff and the other holds my PT Sessions.
#2: I may or may not want to recycle the RAM. I suspect that it's not up there in the RAM echelon anymore, though. I'll find specifics and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
...... If your considering a Hackintosh ....
I am not. A windows 7 machine is what I want.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the intel.

Before I get into some of the specifics of this, I've got one question. I'll try to make it brief. Feel free to skip ahead to last aragraph for question, but on the way there is why I ask what I ask.

I chatted with a guy at Tiger Direct online and in person with a fellow at my local Best Buy. I have a PC tower that I bought from Best Buy 3 years ago, June 27th, 2010. I've upgraded RAM and Added two heard drives.

I asked each person if I could upgrade motherboard and processor. In each instance, no. The Best Buy dude explained that Asus made that tower in such a manner that the screw holes will not align or something to that effect. Tiger Direct simply said nothing is available except stock replacement parts.

Here's my question. If I build my machine, will I suffer the same fate a few years from now when upgrades are needed, or is this some form of cruelty done to me by Asus (or any company) that makes me come back for new PC each time need bigger-meaner-stronger?
The true joy of a PC is the fact that parts are standardized size wise. The ATX spec was first written in 1997 or so. With in each category the motherboards should be interchangeable. Most full size towers will mount any motherboard. This is what ensures that you can normally interchange PSUs, Cases, MBs etc.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88