Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2005, 03:21 PM

Default syncing to video?

i'm currently working on an animation project. we've been tracking dialog and will need to assemble the dialog tracks from serveral different performers. the animator has a mac system and he's using adobe after effects and will eventually use final cut pro. i expect i will need to adjust the audio several times while my friend is animating.

i was really hoping that it might be possible to sync my windows LE system with the mac system while it's playing the video but i have no experience in doing this. i've synched my PC to a midi clock using Reason 2.0 before but have no experience syncing protools. is it even possible to sync to final cut? does it have any kind of time code/clock?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: syncing to video?

so *nobody* has any experience using protools as an audio mastering suite for video??
Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Hi
Can't answer your question (unfortunately) but you'll probably have better luck posting this in the "Post & Surround" forum.

Good luck!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 04-27-2005, 06:17 AM

i don't really have an "answer" for you...but as joe suggests, post this in the "post" forum. a lot of experienced and smart people there who do audio post for video all the time... YET, i will say that you are going to have a tough time of it. first off, LE, does not have SPMTE TC. for that, you need DV Toolkit ($1000). secondly, FCP does not, i am pretty sure, output TC (someone correct me if i am wrong). plus, you would need a bunch of hardware on both ends (more $$$). your best bet is to record in your rig, output the files to the animator, then have him give you a Quicktime with a GUIDE track of voices. then, you will need to import that audio into youre timeline and match your original takes to that. the reason for matching your origianl audio is, AFTER EFFECTS F's up audio all the time...especially when people who aren't paying attention to audio use it. it is a visual tool. on many occasions, i have received visuals with audio attached that went through after effects and it was distorted. i have worked the way i just described and it isn't as bad as it sounds. post is always alot of work anyway. but see if some one smarter than me can suggest another solution that doesn't cost a lot of money.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 AM

you rock. i will post there. this sounds a lot like my thinking on it. i was *hoping* there would be some way to play the video and make adjustments directly in protools. it will be hard to place certain percussive sound effects without a tight sync.

and thanks for the warning about after effects.