Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Thinking about buying Protool 12

And I would tend to take whatever Darryl Ramm has to say as clear truth too.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM

To the OP, do rent Pro Tools and see how it goes for you. Just don't expect it to replace Cubase as a sequencer. Many, many users have a sequencing program and then port over to Pro Tools to mix.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-23-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the weed View Post
and i would tend to take whatever darryl ramm has to say as clear truth too.
+1000000000000

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-24-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
Digidesign recommended this years ago for stability reasons....It used to be documented when they tested systems and told you what systems to use for best performance/stability....I followed this recommendation based on those documents when I put together my HD system....A lot of those documents are really hard to find or just don't exist anymore.....moon
Exactly, which might just mean that it's outdated, obsolete advice, if Digi/Avid no longer says it. I've just checked on the "Computer Optimization Guides" page, updated May 2016, and it makes no reference to matched RAM.

check for yourself if you like ~ http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 09-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
...wh.. what? why does this matter. I understand ram works better when it's dual channel and equal for each channel but I'm fairly sure it won't make any perceivable difference to the performance of a well coded program. Can you explain how you have come to this conclusion of outright removing sticks of RAM? Surely when it comes to samples or Ram Cache, even if the bays are not equal, the extra RAM still has a massive benefit outweighed by any dual-channel bus speed/buffering mismatch. I've ran 12GB of ram for years.

I've seen some crazy explanations for Pro Tools' behaviour but this is the most interesting yet....I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just wondering where the pool of evidence is for such a suggestion that it hampers pro tools' performance
The recommendation for matched Ram has been around for a long time now and has become edged in stone for most. It is considered common knowledge these days. Most computer builds for Audio and Video and just about every kind of hardware and software Vender has recommended it in the past. It is still a good recommendation today. Many hard to find problems have been found due to unmatched Ram and Ram timing issues. Even Intel had recommended it from time to time.

Last edited by zion; 09-24-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Exactly, which might just mean that it's outdated, obsolete advice, if Digi/Avid no longer says it. I've just checked on the "Computer Optimization Guides" page, updated May 2016, and it makes no reference to matched RAM.

check for yourself if you like ~ http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983
I checked the link and that's not exactly what I'm talking about....They used to test machines that were on the market and would tell you exactly which systems worked....Like my Nehalem or Westmere, etc.....They also listed general info such as the always use matched RAM in those specs....I'm certainly not going to go back and forth about it...I don't care what you guys do....Just trying to help clarify to the OP that was asking for help....I'm out.....moon
Old 09-25-2016, 01:49 PM

The issue isn't that matched ram is a bad idea. Far from it. But to single it out as a reason to not install pro tools is another thing, that's all.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 09-25-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
The recommendation for matched Ram has been around for a long time now and has become edged in stone for most. It is considered common knowledge these days. Most computer builds for Audio and Video and just about every kind of hardware and software Vender has recommended it in the past. It is still a good recommendation today. Many hard to find problems have been found due to unmatched Ram and Ram timing issues. Even Intel had recommended it from time to time.
^^^ Truth. ^^^

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com