Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-11-2020, 05:38 PM

Default PT 2020.5 erratic behaviour

Installed 2020.5, used it for two days, bugs galore and unfathomable behaviour including timeline graphics not displaying correctly and a serious CPU spike that occurred on tracks with multiple playlists, deleting the playlists did not resolve the issue, system usage ok until record button hit then WHOOSH right up to 100% followed by Klingon voices in playback...

Created a new track, hit record, no problem...

But worse, by far, STILL NO RESOLUTION ON RETURNING THE DYNAMIC TRANSPORT BACK to being "dynamic" instead of, "catastrophic", as it was up until PT 2019 whence someone (on weed or worse) decided to sabotage it and tell a great joke that it was an improvement...causing chaos and havoc to the surgical editing process I had used since 2006 and NEVER had a problem

So now I come to the end of my tether and decide to scrap the plan, revert back to Pro_Tools_2018.12_Win_105229_- the last version that I can remember the Dynamic Transport working properly...guess what? Won't run on Win 10 latest build.: error "Import DLL DFW.dll cannot be loaded".

I have tried resolving it after reading through reams of online uselessness, forked out £24.95 for a useless scan thingy that promised to solve it, and didn't, all in all, my musical productivity today has been severely hampered, by "Pro Tools perpetual", which is now looking more and more like "Amateur Tools" every "update" that I am paying for.

It simply, is not good enough. Would anyone here PLEASE be able to provide some genuine assistance? It would be most graciously welcomed.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:15 AM

Default Re: PT 2020.5 erratic behaviour

as per usual, crickets...I sense some kind of cover up going on over all this; meanwhile I (and all the others struggling to replicate the former surgical editing precision) continue here adding hours of unnecessary editing time, and ending up with sub-standard results.I shake my head in utter disbelief at the magnitude of this almighty cock-up.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:35 PM

Zero system info = crickets.....
Old 07-16-2020, 05:51 PM

.. you are talking about stuff that I suspect you've explained before in other threads on DUC, but now you are starting another thread... and I expect other users here are not going to spend their time reverse engineering your history of posts on DUC.

Has Avid acknowledged this is a bug? That they introduced? Have you reported it to Avid support? Got an incident number? A bug number?

If I was you I would not be creating more threads if you want help or even emotional support here, I would keep evethign in one thread, updated with support incident numbers etc. And keep reminding folks that even after you have done everything expected the issue remain unaddressed.

2020.5 is not "bugs galore" to most users. But maybe it's raised some need for CPU affinity optimization on Windows--discussed a lot on DUC recently.

What other troubleshooting have you done for these problems? CPU spikes... did you troubleshoot plugins?
Old 07-17-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
.. you are talking about stuff that I suspect you've explained before in other threads on DUC, but now you are starting another thread... and I expect other users here are not going to spend their time reverse engineering your history of posts on DUC.

Has Avid acknowledged this is a bug? That they introduced? Have you reported it to Avid support? Got an incident number? A bug number?

If I was you I would not be creating more threads if you want help or even emotional support here, I would keep evethign in one thread, updated with support incident numbers etc. And keep reminding folks that even after you have done everything expected the issue remain unaddressed.

2020.5 is not "bugs galore" to most users. But maybe it's raised some need for CPU affinity optimization on Windows--discussed a lot on DUC recently.

What other troubleshooting have you done for these problems? CPU spikes... did you troubleshoot plugins?
To add another question to the above:
Does the OP have a working clone of his system? Such a thing has saved me more than I care to admit. That way when things go south it's possible to easily recover but you need to have that clone first.

QAPLA!
Old 07-20-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Old 07-20-2020, 02:40 PM

Dear "Darryl" the Ramm:

1. It is not a "bug" it was purposely changed by AVID post 2019 when there was a new drive to get people subscribing to their new perpetual payment plan, with an incentive that "many new features!" and "new transport behaviour allowing many new ways of working!" was the ad spiel...unfortunately the reality was that professionals (like me that is) needed the behaviour of the transport (utilising the dynamic transport) to remain exactly as it was, not being tinkered and tampered with so that the functionality that we (meaning "the professionals") had been churning out product with ease for years and years with great aplomb; what AVID did was, plant a bomb. Not a bug, rendering the rest of your less than respectful post moot.

2. I need no emotional support, thanks very much for the kind offer, take it elsewhere.

I will inform those of us that are enlightened on this subject (yes there are others) who have been forcibly constrained in their hard developed workflow, that not only was there a response by a certain member here named "Davey", a programmer, who admitted long ago, more than three "updates" ago, that it was a matter for concern; not a bug. A purposeful move, which means that "dynamic transport" is no longer "dynamic" as it does not update the playhead to any selected part, as it used to do, without the need to stop the transport, then select a part, THEN press another button to lock it in place thus meaning a vast exponential addition in workload for the user; it used to work seamlessly in connection with Rewire, thus allowing fast and accurate editing using for example, Waves Tune; many other advantages that I suggest you go try rather than start trying to goad me into a p***** match with you as I have had my fill of this trolling behaviour when I am making a pertinent issue out of a very serious problem.

Over this last weekend, I have spent three whole days, re-installing Windows 10, all it's blasted updates, and a TON of my third party plug-ins/apps etc. etc. just so I could experiment to see if Pro Tools 2018 would install...to my delight, after hours and hours of tedious grief, I am sat here, right now, in sunny old Blighty (it's across the Atlantic) editing using Pro Tools 2018 with the SUPERB dynamic transport, and I have spent a session not only recording vocals to a full song, but have EDITED it and now have, perfect vocal takes. In less than three hours. IF I had been using PT 2020, it would have taken, days.

Now, I have also had the acumen (despite my apparent need for mental health support as insinuated by our Daz the Ramm here), to use Rollback RX to create a clone of my system drive, then de-installed PT 2018 and installed PT 2020 and hey presto folks, we have now two options, PT 2018 for advanced, professional editing, using the dynamic transport as it was originally designed and intended, and then, should we wish then to use our new fangled PT 2020, for say the "Heat" function (can't think of much else that is better than 2018), then we can easily just zap our Rollback RX to use whichever we so please...

Trust me. If you, Daz the Ram, have never used dynamic transport as it was, I suggest ya go do what I have for an experiment in what WAS possible, because, I have serious work to do here, and I ain't spending my time (currently running at £30+ an hour) making videos to splash onto You Tube doing experimental comparisons, either about dynamic transport pre 2019 to post 2020, NOR my mental state as opposed to others trying to make me look like some kind of twerp...

Go try it Daz, who knows, ya may even like it and learn summat for a change.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
To add another question to the above:
Does the OP have a working clone of his system? Such a thing has saved me more than I care to admit. That way when things go south it's possible to easily recover but you need to have that clone first.
Rollback RX
Old 07-20-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinaston View Post
Dear "Darryl" the Ramm:

1. It is not a "bug" it was purposely changed by AVID post 2019 when there was a new drive to get people subscribing to their new perpetual payment plan, with an incentive that "many new features!" and "new transport behaviour allowing many new ways of working!" was the ad spiel...unfortunately the reality was that professionals (like me that is) needed the behaviour of the transport (utilising the dynamic transport) to remain exactly as it was, not being tinkered and tampered with so that the functionality that we (meaning "the professionals") had been churning out product with ease for years and years with great aplomb; what AVID did was, plant a bomb. Not a bug, rendering the rest of your less than respectful post moot.

2. I need no emotional support, thanks very much for the kind offer, take it elsewhere.

I will inform those of us that are enlightened on this subject (yes there are others) who have been forcibly constrained in their hard developed workflow, that not only was there a response by a certain member here named "Davey", a programmer, who admitted long ago, more than three "updates" ago, that it was a matter for concern; not a bug. A purposeful move, which means that "dynamic transport" is no longer "dynamic" as it does not update the playhead to any selected part, as it used to do, without the need to stop the transport, then select a part, THEN press another button to lock it in place thus meaning a vast exponential addition in workload for the user; it used to work seamlessly in connection with Rewire, thus allowing fast and accurate editing using for example, Waves Tune; many other advantages that I suggest you go try rather than start trying to goad me into a p***** match with you as I have had my fill of this trolling behaviour when I am making a pertinent issue out of a very serious problem.

Over this last weekend, I have spent three whole days, re-installing Windows 10, all it's blasted updates, and a TON of my third party plug-ins/apps etc. etc. just so I could experiment to see if Pro Tools 2018 would install...to my delight, after hours and hours of tedious grief, I am sat here, right now, in sunny old Blighty (it's across the Atlantic) editing using Pro Tools 2018 with the SUPERB dynamic transport, and I have spent a session not only recording vocals to a full song, but have EDITED it and now have, perfect vocal takes. In less than three hours. IF I had been using PT 2020, it would have taken, days.

Now, I have also had the acumen (despite my apparent need for mental health support as insinuated by our Daz the Ramm here), to use Rollback RX to create a clone of my system drive, then de-installed PT 2018 and installed PT 2020 and hey presto folks, we have now two options, PT 2018 for advanced, professional editing, using the dynamic transport as it was originally designed and intended, and then, should we wish then to use our new fangled PT 2020, for say the "Heat" function (can't think of much else that is better than 2018), then we can easily just zap our Rollback RX to use whichever we so please...

Trust me. If you, Daz the Ram, have never used dynamic transport as it was, I suggest ya go do what I have for an experiment in what WAS possible, because, I have serious work to do here, and I ain't spending my time (currently running at £30+ an hour) making videos to splash onto You Tube doing experimental comparisons, either about dynamic transport pre 2019 to post 2020, NOR my mental state as opposed to others trying to make me look like some kind of twerp...

Go try it Daz, who knows, ya may even like it and learn summat for a change.
Your replies here are increasingly just weird. You are not helping yourself get attention or advocating for help from other users or Avid.

I don't care if Avid changed something deliberately, if it's broken now get an incident number and better a bug number and keep advocating coherently for a fix. Engineering is unlikely to ever fix this without an actual bug number.

Whining on here often does not help, you need to advocate coherently in parallel; do the support stuff expected to make sure the issue is even seen by Avid support and engineering, and built support from other users to agree with you to get this prioritized. Being a jackass is not the way to win support from other users.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:21 PM

I'm running 2020.5 on Win 10 Pro with none of those issues. My system was running well, with the occasional CPU error, but once I started tweaking the processor affinity, it's been rock solid.

No issues with Post work (I really wasn't having many issues to begin with for work stuff), and since purchasing VEPro for virtual instruments, music composition is actually enjoyable in Pro Tools.

I hope you figure things out, but not everyone is having problems.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X