Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 PM

Default PlugIns

What are the best effects/plug-ins to run on a vocal track to have professional quaility ?? I cannot seem to get this [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] right.

I have a Mbox 3 mini box, on Pro Tools 10....
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Re: PlugIns

to be blunt, this is an unanswerable question without:
a) knowing what the track sound like
b) knowing what the track needs to sound like to work in the mix
c) if the original take is outright bad it will always be bad and no plugins will fix it. (yes there are tools for tweaking but you have to have something to work with)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM

can i send u over a session ?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lskboy1 View Post
What are the best effects/plug-ins to run on a vocal track to have professional quaility ?? I cannot seem to get this [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] right.

I have a Mbox 3 mini box, on Pro Tools 10....
If you are looking for a simple answer, you are destined for disappointment...but I'll offer one anyways.

If a vocal is performed at a "professional quality" and captured by an engineer of "professional quality" with a mic/pre/A/D chain of "professional quality", then the most basic of stock plugins will deliver results of that same caliber. For example, even though I have thousands of dollars invested in plugins, I usually default to the built in EQ3 plugin for simple duties. There is nothing lacking there that will get in the way of a professional result (other than my own shortcomings...).

If you are looking for plugins that will make up for a deficiency in any of the above areas, then that is an entirely different story...

My advice is to learn to use the the simple tools that come with PT first, rather than hoping for a magic bullet that will suddenly provide you with a professional result. It doesn't exist...

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM

It takes a professional to obtain true professional results.

Professionals of any industry spend years honing their craft and as stated, there is no magic bullet.

Having said that, with the available technology today and a solid understanding of audio engineering one can achieve very good results.

Again as stated already, much depends on the quality of the recording without any processing, especially with vocals. Choice of Mic's, Mic Pre's, a quality recording environment and of course the source of the sound i.e the talent, all play a part in the end result.

A compressor/Limiter, some Reverb and EQ is often all that is needed unless other FX such as delay, chorus etc is desired. Start with less rather than more. If the vocals don't sound that good without any processing due to poor recording technique, chances are nothing is going to fix it.

It takes time and a lot of patience to master the use of any signal processor so just keep at it and when you get to the point where you feel you've done your best, walk away and start another project taking what you learnt from your last exercise into it. Don't fall into the trap of making a habit of polishing turds.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O