How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2019, 01:13 AM

Default Help Setting up Artist Mix with a Router

Hi guys

need some help.. despite being a computer user for 15 years i still feel like a noob everytime it comes to network stuff

I need help configuring my artist mix so that it actually works everytime
I go through phases of it working for months, then as soon as something changes in my network setup it sits unused as i just cant get the device and mac to work

Im using mac high sieera 10.13.6
MAcbook Pro 2017 Touchbar.

it was working until i added a network PC slave for Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 - i have since left that PC slave switched off

I am using a basic TPLINK router with my artist mix plugged in, my PC slave and my WIFI LTE Router plugged in for internet. this then goes to my Gizoo USB-C hub with a ethernet port. I have tried using an old trusty apple USB-ethernet converter as well.
the connection in network prefs always shows Green... happy and active

I have my Artist Mix configured to static address.
dhcp: set to No
IP address: 010.000.000.020
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

on my mac my settings are.
USB ethernet controller (from my Gizoo Usb C hub with ethernet port)
[I]Configure IP4: Manually
IP address: 10.0.0.2
Router 10.0.0.254
DNS server: 10.0.0.254[I]

Eucontrol v18.3

nothing but the good old AVID sign on the Artist Mix

Why?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Help Setting up Artist Mix with a Router

Well it’s a little hard to determine with the info you provided but I’ll take stab at it.

Based on this info...

I have my Artist Mix configured to static address.
dhcp: set to No
IP address: 010.000.000.020

on my mac my settings are.
USB ethernet controller (from my Gizoo Usb C hub with ethernet port)
[I]Configure IP4: Manually
IP address: 10.0.0.2
Router 10.0.0.254
DNS server: 10.0.0.254[I]

It looks like your Mac and your artist mix are assigned the same IP address, thus conflicting. You’ll need to assign them different static IP’s if that’s the route you want to take. Make sure those IP addresses are within range of your routers settings.

It would be helpful to post a screen shot of your Eucontrol setup window to see if Eucon is seeing the Artist Mix.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:17 AM

Use DHCP and not static on your Artist Mix.
It's a safer bet in your circumstances.

(I'd also ask why your router/DNS server is set to 254? traditionally it is 1 for networks. So it should be set to 10.0.0.1. In addition, if your router is passing DNS, it is better to not assign a DNS server so that your WAN can pass the actual DNS servers to your local LAN devices.)

To its2loud, he has his mac set to 2 and his Mix set to 20. No conflict.
However, this is a case of clearly not being comfortable with networking so it's best to let DHCP do what it does best. It'll save a lot more frustration in the long run.
Unless the OP has a lot of network devices which it appears he doesn't.

Last edited by BScout; 01-31-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: grammar fix for readability
Old 01-30-2019, 11:10 PM

hey guys!

thanks for your responses

What i did was plug the Artist out of the Router and straight into an apple USB ethernet converter. I then changed the subnet mask on the artist mix to 255.255.0.0 and the same on theethernet usb setting on the mac and it works fine.

I was weary about changing netwrok settings on the other connection as I only just got Vienna Ensemble Pro to be working with static IPs and didnt want to compromise this

Why would changing the subnet mask help?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Use DHCP and not static on your Artist Mix.
It's a safer bet in your circumstances.

(I'd also ask why your router/DNS server is set to 254? traditionally it is 1 for networks. So it should be set to 10.0.0.1. In addition, if your router is passing DNS, it is better to not assign a DNS server so that your WAN can pass the actual DNS servers to your local LAN devices.)

To its2loud, he has his mac set to 2 and his Mix set to 20. No conflict.
However, this is a case that is clear of not being comfortable with networking so it's best to let DHCP do what it does best. It'll save a lot more frustration in the long run.
Unless the OP has a lot of network devices which it appears he doesn't.
Cool my brother helped me set that up. I looked up the routers address by alt clicking the wifi symbol onn the top bar. its set to 254

Also - Is 010.000.000.020 not the same as 10.0.0.2? just losing the first decimal place?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi View Post
Is 010.000.000.020 not the same as 10.0.0.2? just losing the first decimal place?
You don't need the preceding 0's - 10.0.0.20
Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi View Post
I was weary about changing netwrok settings on the other connection as I only just got Vienna Ensemble Pro to be working with static IPs and didnt want to compromise this

Why would changing the subnet mask help?
You can have static and non-static (DHCP) devices on the same network. So you can leave your Vienna Ensemble system as static and have your Artist Mix as DHCP.

Unclear of what you've done. Sounds like you unplugged the Artist Mix from the router/switch and plugged it directly to the computer now? That would be the major fix. Also unclear of how many network interfaces on your laptop are hooked to the same network. For instance if you have your wireless on the laptop hooked to the same network as your wired USB where they are both using 10.0.0.xxx ip addresses, you can have problems.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Avid

Quote:
You can have static and non-static (DHCP) devices on the same network. So you can leave your Vienna Ensemble system as static and have your Artist Mix as DHCP.
True...but most routers require you to reserve these static addresses otherwise you might get 2 the same.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Unclear of what you've done. Sounds like you unplugged the Artist Mix from the router/switch and plugged it directly to the computer now? That would be the major fix. Also unclear of how many network interfaces on your laptop are hooked to the same network. For instance if you have your wireless on the laptop hooked to the same network as your wired USB where they are both using 10.0.0.xxx ip addresses, you can have problems.
Yup thats what i did. its working fine now. but i would like to understand why for the future, so i appreciate your response!
I will try setting the dchp to non static on the artist mix and see if that works
Old 02-01-2019, 09:48 AM

As Eddie pointed out, using a mixed DHCP and static IP network, you may need to reserve the IP addresses used for your static devices. If you don't know how to do that on your router, there are some easy workarounds:

1) If the static IP device is never shut off, the router won't allocate that IP accidentally to a DHCP device. So if you never turn off your Vienna Ensemble Pro, it will hold that 10.0.0.20 number you have given it so that the router/DHCP won't hand that out to some other device via DHCP.

2) If you start allocating IP addresses with high numbers to static IP addresses, the chances of your DHCP given number getting into that range will be highly unlikely unless you have a lot of devices. For instance, if you give your Vienna Ensemble Pro computer the IP address of 10.0.0.250, you would have to have 249 devices attached to the network before the DHCP server (router) would get to hand out 10.0.0.250. And most consumers don't have that many devices on their network. This is the safer workaround if you don't know how to do an address reservation on your network.

From what you describe, the easiest solution for you is:
On your laptop, turn off your wireless!
Connect your laptop to your router/switch via the USB ethernet cable. If you want to set this to a static IP, set it to 10.0.0.250
Connect your Artist Mix to your router/switch via an ethernet cable. Set this to DHCP.
Connect your Vienna Ensemble Pro computer to your router/switch via an ethernet cable. If you want to set this to a static IP, set it to 10.0.0.251

Do not turn on your wireless while working. If you do, you've created two paths to the network and that will screw things up because your computer will not know how to send data/communicate (over wireless or via the ethernet cable.) There's more to it than this but this is the simple explanation.