Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnicle Lines!!!

From Reuters: "$17 million from the sales. The two product lines contributed about $91 million to Avid's 2011 revenue of $677 million."

Selling a $91M annual revenue product for $17M is bit of an embarrassment. I wonder what the (negative?) margin was on that $91M revenue...

I hope the Eleven/Eleven Rack guys (Chris Townsend especially) do not get lost in this mess. I can't believe Avid would be so stupid to let that happen.

Darryl
Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
From Reuters: "$17 million from the sales. The two product lines contributed about $91 million to Avid's 2011 revenue of $677 million."

Selling a $91M annual revenue product for $17M is bit of an embarrassment. I wonder what the (negative?) margin was on that $91M revenue...

I hope the Eleven/Eleven Rack guys (Chris Townsend especially) do not get lost in this mess. I can't believe Avid would be so stupid to let that happen.

Darryl
Being that the eleven rack is a digidesign product, I don't think that he's going anywhere since it's not part of the sales. Unless he got a pink sleeve.....

Wave-T.com
Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Being that the eleven rack is a digidesign product
I wouldn't be surprised if Eleven Rack was shipped off to M-Audio when Avid started it's Digidesign product re-branding.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Being that the eleven rack is a digidesign product, I don't think that he's going anywhere since it's not part of the sales. Unless he got a pink sleeve.....
Being that Chris has dissapeared off to other projects unknown who knows. He is a DSP guy and I've just assumed he's working on Avid's own AAX/DSP plug-in porting or working on the DSP SDK or maybe helping third parties on that as well. I'd assume he is a key employee to keep, and hopefully not mixed up in any sale of AIR etc....

This all has to be unpleasant and worrying to many Avid employees, hopefully its the right move for everyone long term.

The Eleven Rack is more interface/recording/pro recording focused than many of the other products let go and to me makes total sense to keep with Avid/Pro Tools. The question to me is more whether Avid is able and willing to put resources back onto it to keep it alive/evolving. If they don't plan on doing that then maybe its a candidate to sell off as well, I hope not. But oh well Fractal Audio is doing impressive stuff...

Darryl
Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Being that Chris has dissapeared off to other projects unknown who knows. He is a DSP guy and I've just assumed he's working on Avid's own AAX/DSP plug-in porting or working on the DSP SDK or maybe helping third parties on that as well. I'd assume he is a key employee to keep, and hopefully not mixed up in any sale of AIR etc....

This all has to be unpleasant and worrying to many Avid employees, hopefully its the right move for everyone long term.

The Eleven Rack is more interface/recording/pro recording focused than many of the other products let go and to me makes total sense to keep with Avid/Pro Tools. The question to me is more whether Avid is able and willing to put resources back onto it to keep it alive/evolving. If they don't plan on doing that then maybe its a candidate to sell off as well, I hope not. But oh well Fractal Audio is doing impressive stuff...

Darryl
Oh I agree with you, just that my thoughts about this is that the eleven rack was in a different department that was untouched by the recent move from avid, so for me that was, well he should and they should be safe.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
On the positive side, I think it will be great seeing these ported to other formats now such as VST, AU, Re etc. That should've been done years ago in my opinion. We'll finally be able to render the AIR VI's offline and not in real-time!
I was excited when Avid acquired Wizoo Sound Design as I still use and love the discontinued Virtual Guitarist 2. And they did not disappoint with the AIR instruments.

Maybe this move will allow the AIR Group more flexibility to do more innovative things in the near future (for all platforms). With AIR AAX VI's out the way, perhaps Avid can focus more on what PT needs to be in the next release.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Default M-Audio has been SOLD!

Avid is no longer the owner of M-Audio.

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Av...nes-Operations

I personally believe the M-Audio stuff was kinda been put on the back burner by AVID, so I'm excited to see what InMusic will do with the product line.

I also hope this will mean a more streamlined PT experience with a focus on the software.

Thoughts
Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Default Re: M-Audio has been SOLD!

More than just M-Audio has been sold.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Default Re: M-Audio has been SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyderian View Post
Avid is no longer the owner of M-Audio.

I personally believe the M-Audio stuff was kinda been put on the back burner by AVID, so I'm excited to see what InMusic will do with the product line.

I also hope this will mean a more streamlined PT experience with a focus on the software.

Thoughts
That would be very hard to do when you consider that avid has always been a hardware company first and foremost. But one doesn't necessarily exclude the other.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

I'm hoping this means good things for the AIR VI - as I really enjoy their sounds, but am sad so little new content/features have been added since their original release.