Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Yosemite released today 10/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by perh View Post
I don't know if the installers is also broken on Mavericks.
It works. Two days ago I installed 10.3.8 on a brand new nMP which has OS 10.9.5 and there were no snags.

In fact I rushed to buy the nMP now because I knew they'd start shipping with Yosemite very soon and I wanted to be able to use PT10. Fwiw, I had the same problem when trying to install PT10 on my Yosemite test machine -- the installer said 'incompatible OS - must be 10.7 or newer' or something to that effect. Obviously, Yosemite is newer than 10.7.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:01 AM

Good to know Eric.
Let me hear if you have any issues with the popup menus.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
10 is not getting OS work past it's currently officially supported OS versions
With that type of arrogant attitude, Avid may not be getting much more revenue past it's currently officially supported OS versions.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Migration Assistant is always a good solution.
So you have no problems with the menus? (It's the popup menus used for picking plugins on tracks, not the top screen menus.)
Ah yes....now i see the problem...yes, GUI is ***ked...ah well, useable at a pinch, but annoying for much proper work.

I have no desire at all to move beyond ML, but I have to use FCPX quite a bit now too, & I got fed up of dual booting..

It's a shame, as from only an hour messing about, OS X 10.10 seems way faster that OX 10.9...it seems to be sticking with the 'Every even numbered release being the good one' thing..

I think I might just make OS X 10.10 my *main* partition, then keep a separate smaller ML one just for Pro Tools

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Ah yes....now i see the problem...yes, GUI is ***ked...ah well, useable at a pinch, but annoying for much proper work.

I have no desire at all to move beyond ML, but I have to use FCPX quite a bit now too, & I got fed up of dual booting..

It's a shame, as from only an hour messing about, OS X 10.10 seems way faster that OX 10.9...it seems to be sticking with the 'Every even numbered release being the good one' thing..

I think I might just make OS X 10.10 my *main* partition, then keep a separate smaller ML one just for Pro Tools
Hello Ru_C
Yes, the GUI problem. I think zoff mentioned having working? Maybe it was false alarm, but that's why I wondered if there's a way to get it to work or if it works in another version. But nevertheless I guess we have to live with it as I do not expect Avid will as much as even give a tiny thought about to fixing it!

Like you I have made a ML partition for just in case purposes and be using 10.10 as main system. I'm not using Pro Tools much more these days, I've moved to LPX and haven't regret a single minute. But I have heaps of old material that I might need to reopen once in a while.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Migration Assistant is always a good solution.
Yes, if you want tons of random errors...
Old 10-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, if you want tons of random errors...
Never ever happened to me. I know how to keep my system clean. Unless software contain self modifying code, it can never really be a problem. I'm not worried.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Never ever happened to me. I know how to keep my system clean. Unless software contain self modifying code, it can never really be a problem. I'm not worried.
You are very lucky. Migration assistant is asking for trouble moving anything but user documents.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are very lucky. Migration assistant is asking for trouble moving anything but user documents.
I vote for Carbon Copy Cloner.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well maybe it's my luck. But as I've known heaps of people with unstable systems all over the place, especially with Pro Tools as the black sheep, and in many cases I ended up being supporter that Avid could only dream of (if they cared), it becomes pretty obvious along the way, what to do and what not to do to keep the wolf from the door. Therefore I believe that luck is only a limited part of it, though it is obvious you cannot guarantee anything with such complex systems of today. But most of this reinstall mania is to my experience very overrated.

Carbon Copy Cloner. Yeah - but if you happen to carry the disease - it will still follow you. Same thing really. But it is great if you need to be able to boot from your 'backup'.