Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 AM

Default anyway to avoid the creation of folders by digi on all my drives?

Its very generic and rude, why not invisible folders¿
all these "Digidesign Databases" folders on all my drives is annoying, anyway to prevent this from happening?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:24 AM

Default Re: anyway to avoid the creation of folders by digi on all my drives?

anyway to delete all of them at once? Good question. What is the purpose of these database files everywhere? They are like digital roaches.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 AM

Thumbs down Re: anyway to avoid the creation of folders by digi on all my drives?

Ya, they're like spam for hard drives. Very annoying.
And they also have a way of creating themselves on all removable media too.
I don't plan on running sessions off my mp3 player anytime soon.

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 12-20-2008, 08:23 AM

They need to be there to tell Digi what's on the drive. We rebuild the databases on a regular basis to keep things happy on our HD systems. If they show up on a drive you're not going to use anymore with PT then delete it AFTER you've shut down PT... you can't delete them while PT is running.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
They need to be there to tell Digi what's on the drive. We rebuild the databases on a regular basis to keep things happy on our HD systems. If they show up on a drive you're not going to use anymore with PT then delete it AFTER you've shut down PT... you can't delete them while PT is running.
The point here is that digi doesn't give you the option to not create them in the first place on drives that you know you're never going to use for PT. Instead of constantly scouring your system for new drives to sink it's teeth into, digi should instead assume that NO drive on the system is going to be used for PT until you tell it otherwise.

This would also help with a lot of people who unwittingly record audio to alternate drives and then have missing audio files when they arrive at a different studio. I feel their pain when I have to tell a client "Dude, there's no audio in this folder. It says these were originally recorded on your system drive, not your fw drive." Why should PT EVER assume by default that it would be recording audio on a system drive????

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM

He said HD system, is this not the M-powered pro tools section?

these "SPAM" folders should be invisible to us if digi thinks they are necessary, why do we need to see them if they are there to allow Pro Tools to seek on a drive, absurd!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Pro View Post
He said HD system, is this not the M-powered pro tools section?
These database folders are endemic to all current protools platforms.

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang1970 View Post
These database folders are endemic to all current protools platforms.
"endemic" ??? no offense to you, ...

But it all sounds like BS, it is just the typical astronomically named technical excuse by digi or users who had contact with digi people and learned new words from digi's highly paid superior advertising team who uses names for God to advertise digi products

Facts: This is very unprofessional to see them since USERS do not need to access them so why not make them invisible?

Lets stop beating the bush, we know how greedy people get and how eager they want to make the most money before another crises puts them in the un employment lines (whether it be another developer or war), but a clean profession environment with fair performance on all platforms including M-Powered systems can be done if these other agendas i mentioned where put aside, a Pro tools session 8 rig could of performed with 16 i/o and 48 internal tracks but then that would not sell a TDM system woudl it, there is still another way to do all this with lower end set ups, no need to make things buggy or annying to tease us about a HD system.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM

Deleting the database folders is SOP when troubleshooting. If they were invisible that would make it kinda difficult for the average user wouldn't it?

132K is not a lot of space even on the smallest MP3 player or removable media, and unless those kinds of things are left mounted while running PT those files won't appear.

I fail to see why it's a problem.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM

its not a PROBLEM, theyre just everywhere. can they just be deleted every time they show up?