Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Trackspacer Plugin -- Soon to be AAX

Hey folks,

Have you seen or played with this plugin?

http://plugins.wavesfactory.com/

I'm not affiliated in any way. I simply stumbled across it last night on a KVRAudio thread and downloaded the trial. I recently did a short film where I had commandos entering a facility from a hovering helicopter and trying to get vocals to pop thru loud helicopter wash was trying, to say the least.

This plugin has been a huge help in dynamically opening up a frequency range for my dialog. I've been very impressed, so far. I think it was primarily envisioned for music work, but I think it has great potential in post as well.

And the developer is already hard at work on an AAX version, straight from the horse's mouth. Far less certain, but he seems willing to consider it, is whether he'll do an AAX DSP version.

Chris Conlee
Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Trackspacer Plugin -- Soon to be AAX

loves it!
used it on a metal trak last night, made space between kik and bass;
sunday on a country tune on ac gtr, piano, and bck vox.

nothing else quite like it...

e
Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 PM

You can do this in a more controlled way with Waves C6.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
You can do this in a more controlled way with Waves C6.
Not really. The C4 and C6 may allow for EQing the sidechain, but still only allow 4 or 6 bands of compression, whereas the TrackSpacer plugin surgically lowers only the frequencies being sent to the sidechain, it's like an infinite band dynamic EQ. Granted, C4 and C6 allow more control over the attack and release, etc., but this is a different beast altogether, and sounds different. Plus, it's extremely quick to set up. Seconds, really.

Chris
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
Not really. The C4 and C6 may allow for EQing the sidechain, but still only allow 4 or 6 bands of compression, whereas the TrackSpacer plugin surgically lowers only the frequencies being sent to the sidechain, it's like an infinite band dynamic EQ. Granted, C4 and C6 allow more control over the attack and release, etc., but this is a different beast altogether, and sounds different. Plus, it's extremely quick to set up. Seconds, really.

Chris
I'll grant you that it looks very quick to setup.

But the C6 can get very precise in only ducking the frequencies you want to duck. You don't have to duck all bands. And you have much more control over the attack, release, frequency range and amount of compression. Plus, if you want to duck more than one band, one high and one low, for instance, you can. Doesn't look like you can do this with TrackSpacer.

I don't use ducking very often, and frequency dependent ducking far less, but when I have, the C6 did just what I wanted.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Well as I said, I have no affiliation, so I'm not trying to sell it. All I can say is it works very well, and extremely quickly. I'm quite happy to have purchased it. Did you try the demo, by any chance? I found it to sound different than other plugins, and not in an unpleasant way.

Chris
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 PM

How much is the delay? Do you happen to know if this is FFT-based? If yes, can you somehow change the windowsize?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM

I'm not at my computer yet, so I don't know the delay. I don't believe you can change the window size, although it's fairly compact, and I have no idea whether it's FFT based. But you can download the trial and see if it works for you.

Chris

PS: The developer is pretty active in this thread, answering questions and whatnot...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365168
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
I'm not at my computer yet, so I don't know the delay. I don't believe you can change the window size, although it's fairly compact
I was talking about the FFT-window size (the bigger the window, the better the frequency resolution but the the higher the delay). Thanks for the link!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM

i, too, am a big fan of the C4 & C6,
as well as DSM (which this is closer to).

but, really, this is none of the above.

It's not a compressor at all. It's an eq only.
and it sounds quite different than simply filtering the side-chain on a compressor.

in the metal trak i mentioned it also worked well as reducing the snare in drum overheads.

oughta try it!

e