Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Does my PSU need replacing?

Hi, I am in the process of setting up my new HD rig, last night I unpacked my brand new Control 24, I turned it on to check the mains (having read the manual which indicated that the C24 should be turned on before midi or audio interfaces), and was alarmed to discover a nasty popping noise at regular intervals, coupled with the 16 preamp LED's flashing in concert with the noise.

I had thought that the analog monitoring section would work by default, apparently not.

I have not yet connected the C24 to my Mac, so is this odd behaviour some default state prior to software/firmware initialisation, or a dogdy PSU?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Does my PSU need replacing?

Sounds like it to me.

My C|24 exhibited this exact behavour last week. It was indeed my PSU. My original PSU with a big toroidal transformer was replaced (along with new fader cards) after it failed about 3 years ago with a revision "F" switching PSU. That worked perfectly until last week when I came into my studio and heard my 5.1 speakers and my big KRKs popping VERY LOUDLY once per second. I had no idea how long it had been going on, perhaps as long as since the previous evening when I went home. The LEDs were also barely flashing in rhythm with the pops and a faint clicking could be heard from the PSU. I first removed the PSU and cleaned and reseated all connections as this has sometimes worked for others with PSU problems, but to no avail. So I called Digi tech support at 8:30am PST and spoke with Eric who agreed that it sounded like the PSU had croaked. As I was a registered owner with a previously signed indemnity agreement (so I could do the work myself) he asked for a credit card number to insure the return of the defective PSU (which was not charged) and sent a new rev "H" PSU that afternoon via FedEx standard. It arrived the next day around noon along with two small bottles of DeOxit and ProGold. I removed the old PSU and popped in the new PSU which now works perfectly. I put the old PSU in the same box, used the Digi-supplied return label and dropped it off at FedEx that afternoon. Even though the PSU on the C|24 has been a huge headache for Digi, they continue to provide no cost replacements. Kudos, Digi!!
Control 24 - 96io - 1622
OSX 10.6.8 - PTHD 10.3.10