How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Solo Tracks while Recording a mix

Hello,

I have been using Nuendo for the last few weeks at work, and I like the Control Room monitor function for Listen. Basically this allows me to "Solo" a track in a headphone mix (or in the monitors) without disturbing the recording. This allows me to record a mixdown during live recordings and still be able to listen to specific instruments if I need to. It saves a lot of post production for classical recording, because unless something needs to be remixed I am golden.

Is there a way to set this up in Pro Tools with one of the solo options, or an Audition path in I/O? I don't own Nuendo, and still prefer Pro Tools. Nuendo is just what we are using here at work for the summer.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Solo Tracks while Recording a mix

Solo is already post input. If you solo a track that is recording from a hardware input, it won't disturb the recording.

If you solo a track and the input is from a bus, then that recording could be disturbed (because that bus would get muted if it comes from a aux/audio channel.) But if that bus isn't on a fader, then it won't get disturbed.

If you want to hear something upstream (for instance, the input of a hardware record audio channel), make sure everything downstream going towards your output monitoring is solo safe ("solo defeated" in Steinberg terms.) Then the bussing leading to your speakers won't get muted when you flip through soloing inputs.

Solo safe is just holding "command" and clicking on the S for solo and it'll grey out meaning it won't mute on that track when something else is put into solo. (I think for Windows that would make it ctrl+click on the S)

And if you want to have separate playback and record faders, go into preferences and on the Operation tab, unlink the record and playback faders. Then faders in record can be operated independently than when they are not.

Finally, if you want a completely independent process, send your inputs to two separate groups of tracks: group (A) record (B) listen. Solo safe the group (except the output) for the record set vs the listen set (listen set could also be aux channels). Then your record set can be completely undisturbed while you fiddle with the "listen set" of channels.
This is the equivalent, in some ways, of multing channels working with an inline mix/record desk that we do for film scoring. We can then do a live mix on the desk and also record the raw stems straight from the mics.
(you could also do this with sends and solo safe the sends.)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3

Last edited by BScout; 07-21-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM

I am aware of how to solo safe. The Record and playback faders either can not be unlinked, or are not linked because I am recording automation while recording. I will look into using two sets of channels, but I don't know if I have the processing power for that. 64 channels of input is a lot...

For context, my situation is this.

I have 32 mics on stage for a live orchestra performance. I am mixing it live in the box with PT HD, and recording the stereo mix, along with automation from the tracks.

Would it work to set my solo mode to PFL or AFL and then change the output path to be different from my stereo mix?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:14 PM

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...pfl-and-afl-do

No AFL and PFL and SIP don't influence what you want.

64 channels isn't much with HDX (input and tracking). I assume you are using HDX and 2018.4 since you posted in this forum.

As I mentioned, you could use sends. Just solo safe the sends. Sends become your live mix (just send them to a bus and record that bus and solo safe that whole path except the final output.) Then you can send your live mics out to a listen output (headphones) on the main outs of each track and monitor that when soloing. The send will be influenced by the faders but not the solo so the 2mix from the sends will be continuous even when soloing (just don't make the sends PRE). You could also setup separate/different panning this way (in case you want your listenback to have a different/mono pan.)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 PM

The computer that the concert hall has installed for the system does not have HDX.

They have 2012-2013ish iMac with 8GB ram and I think an i5 processor. Running 2018.3 HD software, with a Motu 16A connected to 3 Stage 16 boxes throughout the hall (2 on stage, 1 in the ceiling). They also have a redundant iMac for a backup that runs off the same setup. Outputs from ProTools run into a DM2000 for monitoring.

Now I understand what you mean about using solo safe! It makes a lot of sense to buss them. For some reason I was thinking bus them pre-fader (dumb me), which obviously wouldn't work. Would my effects like delay and reverb apply to my busses?
Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 PM

On a send, yes. They are post-insert so insert effects will carry to the send. If you did the "two groups" setup (aux set and audio/record set) you could avoid this.

However, if your goal is have it sound as if you hit solo but don't interrupt the recording 2mix, then post-insert is what you want anyway. The main outs would sound the same as the send outputs while the send output gets recorded and the main outputs can be monitored and soloing on the main outs would not affect the flow to the send (though fader changes on the main faders would affect send levels unless you put the send to "PRE")
Old 07-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Perfect!

Thank you for the help!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM

i know you have a solution already ... but thinking out loud keeps the brain fresh and soft and a nice shade of Pinkish Gray !!

now the sends could be Pre-Fader and you can use your Main Fader Mix "there" as well .. !!!!

of course check me on this .. i have not had HD software around for a little bit ...

set up your mix on the main out with the solo capability .. switch sends to Pre-Fader then just select all channels and select "Send Fader Level to Send" or whatever it is called in PTHD ... since you are on HD you have that feature - right !!! !!! then open up your Send so you can see the small faders ... anytime you need to make just select your channels and send fader level to send ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-22-2018, 11:49 AM

Well, as usual, what is called a function in other DAWs is called a workaround in Pro Tools...
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazik View Post
Well, as usual, what is called a function in other DAWs is called a workaround in Pro Tools...
It's called routing.

And it's not a big deal or a "workaround."
It's how mixing desks work.

Different DAWs have different names or ways (as do mix consoles.) And some have "functions" which are just auto-routing of the same thing. But in the end, they are the same thing.