Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

Yes i also think the 50.000 have at least PT12 and an active subscription. Doesn't matter if they use CC or not.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 12-02-2016, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I'd like to have a standalone Avid Chat app if it needs to be proprietary, just for the reasons mentioned. I travel a lot and would like to collaborate when my iLok isn't with me, but alas, I would need to carry iLok everywhere just for CC. Or if they would allow hard drive iLok auth for PT, that'd be fine too

Just thinking about this the other day. Since PT10 we have had Disc Cache which kind of makes storage performance a moot point, this CC could use that as a cache (probably already does) for streaming to the cloud. So once the project count and storage capacity is good enough, all of the sessions could go into the clould just in case you needed to have some extra help with the project. How great was that? Wouldn't have to worry about session backups locally, assuming you trust the cloud service provider
Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM

I am probably one of the most excited people I know for these collaboration features, but as expressed in the OP, I also find the storage much too limiting. Paid plans are even very limited. I have a couple clients that I think this would work amazing with, but both of them are on older versions of Pro Tools.

I still think Avid should consider giving HD users more free storage since we pay so much more for our subscriptions. Maybe this would help them get the ball rolling. But they definitely need to revisit the limitations and pricing on the storage.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 12-02-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
Interesting!
May i have a link of this article please?
http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/1...hed-today.aspx

jscomposer is correct though. the article says, "The company now has over 50,000 cloud-enabled paying subscribers."

I wonder how many people are actually paying for CC because it seems to be very unpopular.

I'm still waiting for Avid to hike up the price of their update plans and include CC as part of the plan...whether people want it or not. I hope not though.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:57 AM

Just have a look at the Avid Cloud Collaboration thread here on the DUC, a whopping 67 threads. Folks are all over that.
So far out of touch, no wonder stocks are tanking and lawsuits are flying. If it wasn't so damn sad I would laugh.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:45 AM

But how many are PT users? That number is all of Avid's cloud services, not just PT. And obviously Avid will inflate that number any way they can in order to make it more appealing to subscribers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
I came across an article the other day that said that Avid have over 50k paid subscribers for their cloud. That's way more than I would have guessed.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
And obviously Avid will inflate that number any way they can in order to make it more appealing to investors.
Minor tweak.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
So, I've been working on a project for a few months testing the 'Collaboration' feature that was to be the 'holy grail' of PT's 12. To say the least, this is one of the biggest waste of resources I have ever been exposed to as a customer.
Man, I uninstalled that crap months ago!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 12-02-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Imho Avid should focus on what benefits MOST of their users, not wasting resources catering to a select few, whilst abandoning work on vital things. Like - you know - fixing stuff.
I wonder how much better PT12 would be by now if they hadn't been working on CC.
I'd imagine they agree with this, which would explain why it always takes them so long to fix problems with midi.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey