Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-14-2017, 10:39 PM

Default Recording Multiple MIDI Outputs Simultaneously

I've been playing around with MDrummer, a VI Drum plugin. There's a feature where you can send each drum to it's own MIDI output. Once the plugin's mixer is setup to send all these individual drums to separate MIDI channels, how do I record them simultaneously?
PT only lets me enable record one MIDI track at a time, i.e. when I enable record on the second MIDI channel, the first MIDI channel's record button disengages.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Recording Multiple MIDI Outputs Simultaneously

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I've been playing around with MDrummer, a VI Drum plugin. There's a feature where you can send each drum to it's own MIDI output. Once the plugin's mixer is setup to send all these individual drums to separate MIDI channels, how do I record them simultaneously?
PT only lets me enable record one MIDI track at a time, i.e. when I enable record on the second MIDI channel, the first MIDI channel's record button disengages.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
I'm confused about what you're asking. You don't use a vi's mixer to send MIDI anywheres as it only works with audio. Drum vi's normally only need one MIDI channel which historically is channel 10. You could in PT run multiple MIDI tracks all feeding MIDI channel 10 on the vi if you wanted to for some reason have all kick drum hits on one track, snares on another, hihats on a third, etc. That's a waste of space and only clutters up a session.

Some drum vi's allow in their mixer routing the ability to send each drum audio output to separate tracks in the host in this case PT. I do that with BFD3; I send each drum's output to a separate aux track which then feeds an audio track from a send. I do that so I can hear the drum sounds without having to record enable an audio track. I feed the output of the aux tracks to a bus and the outputs of the audio tracks to a bus.

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Some drum vi's allow in their mixer routing the ability to send each drum audio output to separate tracks in the host in this case PT. I do that with BFD3; I send each drum's output to a separate aux track which then feeds an audio track from a send. I do that so I can hear the drum sounds without having to record enable an audio track. I feed the output of the aux tracks to a bus and the outputs of the audio tracks to a bus.
Let me first preface that I've never used MIDI until right now. It's been a confusing past couple days just getting VMPK (virtual midi controller) setup properly.

Your quote is what I'm referring to, although it's with the MDrummer Demo. The plugin's Mixer section shows all the drums in the kit being used, and allows you to output each to its own channel. I assume these are MIDI channels.. they go from 1 to 16.
I want to play, and record, the drum line in real-time, and output each drum to it's own PT track.. so I can have control over whatever processing is needed while mixing.
Are you saying that I need an Aux track for each drum, set it's input to the corresponding midi output and then create a send to it's own Audio track? In my case enabling record on each Audio track, to capture the live drum performance. Can I skip the Aux track part and just set each Audio track's input to each midi output? Then I could make Aux drum busses for what I feel is necessary.

Hopefully that didn't come across as total nonsense. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Let me first preface that I've never used MIDI until right now. It's been a confusing past couple days just getting VMPK (virtual midi controller) setup properly.

Your quote is what I'm referring to, although it's with the MDrummer Demo. The plugin's Mixer section shows all the drums in the kit being used, and allows you to output each to its own channel. I assume these are MIDI channels.. they go from 1 to 16.
I want to play, and record, the drum line in real-time, and output each drum to it's own PT track.. so I can have control over whatever processing is needed while mixing.
Are you saying that I need an Aux track for each drum, set it's input to the corresponding midi output and then create a send to it's own Audio track? In my case enabling record on each Audio track, to capture the live drum performance. Can I skip the Aux track part and just set each Audio track's input to each midi output? Then I could make Aux drum busses for what I feel is necessary.

Hopefully that didn't come across as total nonsense. Thanks for the help.
Have you actually read the manual for MDrummer? I downloaded it to see what it's about and as I suspected you are completely misunderstanding things. The mixer does NOT output MIDI but audio and there are only 8 audio channels. The only MIDI routing is to the input of MDrummer - that's it. Set Mdrummer to output whatever drum you want to whatever of the 8 audio channels exist. Then do as I wrote about the aux and audio channels. I do that so if I want to or need to make changes in the MIDI driving the vi I can without having to deleted any recorded audio. What I also do and forgot to mention is to record the MIDI I have driving the vi which is mandatory if you want to change the drum used for a particular kit piece. Say I have in BFD3 a DW 5.5x14 snare and want a different sound like the same size snare but one from Sonor or whatever I have available to BFD3 I can do that and not have to replay the MIDI.

Something I've done for kicks is to completely change the kit piece from say that snare to a cymbal - gives a radically different sound and feel that may take things in a whole 'nother direction.

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have you actually read the manual for MDrummer? I downloaded it to see what it's about and as I suspected you are completely misunderstanding things. The mixer does NOT output MIDI but audio and there are only 8 audio channels. The only MIDI routing is to the input of MDrummer - that's it. Set Mdrummer to output whatever drum you want to whatever of the 8 audio channels exist. Then do as I wrote about the aux and audio channels. I do that so if I want to or need to make changes in the MIDI driving the vi I can without having to deleted any recorded audio. What I also do and forgot to mention is to record the MIDI I have driving the vi which is mandatory if you want to change the drum used for a particular kit piece. Say I have in BFD3 a DW 5.5x14 snare and want a different sound like the same size snare but one from Sonor or whatever I have available to BFD3 I can do that and not have to replay the MIDI.

Something I've done for kicks is to completely change the kit piece from say that snare to a cymbal - gives a radically different sound and feel that may take things in a whole 'nother direction.
Thanks for actually looking at the manual. I took a look at it quickly and it was a bit confusing to me. When u say you record the MIDI, so u can change a drum after the recording, do you create a midi track and route the entire kit to it, or does the instrument track that has the actual MDrummer plugin inserted save as MIDI? Either way, you enable record on that Instrument track, right?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
. . . . There's a feature where you can send each drum to it's own MIDI output. . . .
The input to the VI is MIDI, but the output is typically AUDIO, the sounds you hear. It is possible to record a distinct MIDI track and then route that to a VI, or you can record MIDI onto an "INTRUMENT TRACK" which accepts MIDI input, but then outputs audio from the VI in use.

Quote:
. . . . The plugin's Mixer section shows all the drums in the kit being used, and allows you to output each to its own channel. I assume these are MIDI channels.. they go from 1 to 16. . . .
If musicman read the manual correctly, your drum VI can output discreet audio for different drum sounds.

Are you inputting the drum MIDI parts by keyboard, or by using an electronic drum pad(s)?

Either way, the VI can use one of the 16 MIDI channels (drums use "10" -- bass gtr "6" -- keyboard "1" -- etc.). You have to tell your recording software which channel you want to record. Also, for complicated setups, hardware (or virtual software) can allow for multiple MIDI connections. That is, a separate interface that allows for multiple MIDI connections. (Each MIDI wire can carry 16 channels.)
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for actually looking at the manual. I took a look at it quickly and it was a bit confusing to me. When u say you record the MIDI, so u can change a drum after the recording, do you create a midi track and route the entire kit to it, or does the instrument track that has the actual MDrummer plugin inserted save as MIDI? Either way, you enable record on that Instrument track, right?
You really need to sit down and actually read the manual for the s/w you are using. This is good practice for everyone especially for those that don't quite know what they're dealing with. Even after years working with this stuff one can get thrown a curve ball so having the manual at hand really helps.

I always use Instrument tracks in PT. That's what holds the MIDI driving the vi and you don't have to sweat the MIDI routing - it's all taken care of. If you go old school and use separate track for the MIDI and an aux track to host the vi then you have to create your own routing for the MIDI to go to the vi.

Where things can get hairy with vi's and MIDI is if the vi is multi-timbral and say it has 16 slots for instruments. You could drive all 16 slots from one MIDI channel but that would be total chaos sounding. The better way is to have the vi on an Instrument track which has one MIDI channel routed automatically to the vi. Then you'd create 15 more MIDI tracks and route each one separately to the vi hosted in the aforementioned Instrument track. But this is something you need not worry about with any drum vi. One Instrument track and done until you render to audio.

QAPLA!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 AM

I was initially having trouble setting up vmpk to work as a midi controller in PT; it took me a few days to get it running properly. Then I made the mistake of creating this post before sitting at the computer and playing around with MDrummer. I'll have a chance to do that today and come back here if I get stuck.. although it seems like everything's been explained well enough for me to figure it out. I'm still not 100% on how the MIDI routing works, but you've given me a great starting point, and I have the manual. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
I was initially having trouble setting up vmpk to work as a midi controller in PT; it took me a few days to get it running properly. Then I made the mistake of creating this post before sitting at the computer and playing around with MDrummer. I'll have a chance to do that today and come back here if I get stuck.. although it seems like everything's been explained well enough for me to figure it out. I'm still not 100% on how the MIDI routing works, but you've given me a great starting point, and I have the manual. Thanks again.
Once you have VMPK running correctly the only MIDI routing you have to worry about has been taken care of if you use an Instrument track to host the vi. Everything else is audio routing. You really need to take the time to read and understand the manuals that come with your software and that includes PT.

QAPLA!