Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Default How do I get Dolby Digital (or DTS) 5.1 optical into the 003 Rack ADAT?

Googling around, it seems that the multi-channel optical output from my Yamaha DVD S1700 is (according the the manual) in Dolby Digital, DTS or MPEG format (IE 61937) and not compatible with the ADAT optical input on the 003 Rack.

Is this correct, and if so, does anyone know of a converter or any other possible solution? I don't want to use the analogue inputs, as they're already being used for other things. Also the DVD also doesn't seem to have wordclock in or out, so does that mean it won't work anyway?

The reason I'm trying to do this is that I'm going from the DVD to my screen via HDMI, but the picture is delayed slightly. My plan is to route the audio through PT and put a delay across it. It's possible that there's a much simpler way of doing it, so if anyone has any experience of this I'd be very grateful to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,

Dru
Old 09-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Default Re: How do I get Dolby Digital (or DTS) 5.1 optical into the 003 Rack ADAT?

Have you checked with Yamaha? There should not be delay of the video. Not sure what your sound setup is. Have you actually tried connecting the dvd player to your 003? Did you do a sound options setup in the player?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Re: How do I get Dolby Digital (or DTS) 5.1 optical into the 003 Rack ADAT?

The delay is happening at the screen end - this is a common problem with HDMI. It's not an issue for most people because they're either listening to the audio through the screen or sending the HDMI through a 'home cinema' amp which has delay compensation built in.

Yes, I have tried connecting the DVD to the 003! And yes, I've looked at all the options on the DVD player and RTFM carefully - there's nothing there to help me.

Dru
Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 PM

what you are tying to do will not work
you can not make any changes to a surround encoded signal in Pro Tools w/o very special software (not cheap)

to pass an AC3 stream you need:
the non-dithering mixer installed
24 bit if recording
the input set for PCM signal type (not ADAT)
the fader set to 0dB

I do not know if DTS will do the same

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru0013 View Post
Googling around, it seems that the multi-channel optical output from my Yamaha DVD S1700 is (according the the manual) in Dolby Digital, DTS or MPEG format (IE 61937) and not compatible with the ADAT optical input on the 003 Rack.

Is this correct, and if so, does anyone know of a converter or any other possible solution? I don't want to use the analogue inputs, as they're already being used for other things. Also the DVD also doesn't seem to have wordclock in or out, so does that mean it won't work anyway?

The reason I'm trying to do this is that I'm going from the DVD to my screen via HDMI, but the picture is delayed slightly. My plan is to route the audio through PT and put a delay across it. It's possible that there's a much simpler way of doing it, so if anyone has any experience of this I'd be very grateful to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,

Dru

So are you just trying to have surround playback for your home theatre system and you want the 003 to do that?

It won't because it's not a surround sound decoder. You will need a Dolby Digital/ DTS 5, 7, 8.1 surround sound A/V receiver for playback. The 003 is more geared for audio recording and music pre/ post production.
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 AM

@Craig - Thanks for your reply. You say "you can not make any changes to a surround encoded signal in Pro Tools w/o very special software (not cheap)" - so can you tell me what software does that? I'm not bothered about price at this stage, I just want to be able to listen to DVDs on the same system I compose on. As a TV and film composer it's really important to me.

@dougied - yes, I suppose one solution is to buy an AV receiver with delay compensation and a pre-amp output (my monitors are powered).

Surely there must be some way of converting the optical signal though? I found this while searching around, but can't tell if it does what I'm looking for (I've emailed them): http://www.mutec-net.de/e_pro_mc1x.htm

Ignoring the delay problem I'm experiencing, I can't be the first person who wants to monitor their DVD in 5.1 through Pro Tools???

Dru
Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 AM

Of course another option is to go analogue out from the DVD into an analogue to ADAT converter like this: http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/a...t-wandler.html
Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I just want to be able to listen to DVDs on the same system I compose on.

I can't be the first person who wants to monitor their DVD in 5.1 through Pro Tools???

Dru
Your computer has a DVD drive, yes? Why not use that?

Digidesign makes software for surround options. http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...15&itemid=6282
Old 09-25-2009, 03:11 AM

@musicalavtech - for so many reasons - have you tried to get multi channel audio from the Mac into a 003? I certainly couldn't get it to work - the Digi Core driver is pretty hopeless. Even Quicktime won't play audio through the 003 - I have to use Toast, Soundgrinder or VLC to listen to anything (This was never a problem when I used an Apogee Ensemble - you could use all the Apple desktop preview methods) - but this is a different thread.

Also, the picture from the Yamaha DVD is rather good...
Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
@Craig - Thanks for your reply. You say "you can not make any changes to a surround encoded signal in Pro Tools w/o very special software (not cheap)" - so can you tell me what software does that? I'm not bothered about price at this stage, I just want to be able to listen to DVDs on the same system I compose on. As a TV and film composer it's really important to me.

@dougied - yes, I suppose one solution is to buy an AV receiver with delay compensation and a pre-amp output (my monitors are powered).

Surely there must be some way of converting the optical signal though? I found this while searching around, but can't tell if it does what I'm looking for (I've emailed them): http://www.mutec-net.de/e_pro_mc1x.htm

Ignoring the delay problem I'm experiencing, I can't be the first person who wants to monitor their DVD in 5.1 through Pro Tools???

Dru
Neyrink makes the plugs you need http://www.neyrinck.com/Pages/scdd.html

This discussion would be better suited in the Post & Surround forum

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig