Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 07-08-2020, 12:44 PM

Default Sonarworks Reference 4 - Digi 002r Issues

Hi, does anyone managed to use Sonarworks Reference 4 with a Digi 002r?

For some reason no matter what input/output settings I use I can't get by the initial mic level test.

No matter what input level, low, in the ballpark or high I get the same "decrease the input gain on your device" message.
Even with the speakers turned off or mic unplugged I get the same message.

My guess it's an internal looping issue within the ASIO drivers of Sonarworks.
I tired the WASAPI mode, but then the software claims my device is set at 48K while it isn't.

I'm on WIN 10 Pro 64Bit 1909, Sonarworks latest version.

Any suggestions or how did you get it to work if you had the same issue?

Thx
Old 07-08-2020, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Sonarworks Reference 4 - Digi 002r Issues

Unless something's changed, Sonarworks will not work with Digi/Avid interfaces for room calibration setup. Had same problem a few months back trying to do room calibration with an Omni. Sonarworks tech support said to use a different interface as the calibration setup would not work with the Omni. Luckily I had a Focusrite Saffire pro and was able to use that to perform the room calibration with Sonarworks. Once your calibration is completed and saved the Sonarworks plugin works fine in a Protools session using Digi/Avid interface.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasman View Post
Unless something's changed, Sonarworks will not work with Digi/Avid interfaces for room calibration setup. Had same problem a few months back trying to do room calibration with an Omni. Sonarworks tech support said to use a different interface as the calibration setup would not work with the Omni. Luckily I had a Focusrite Saffire pro and was able to use that to perform the room calibration with Sonarworks. Once your calibration is completed and saved the Sonarworks plugin works fine in a Protools session using Digi/Avid interface.
WOW, this is quite lame! They could at-least mention this on their f.a.q. or website before having people waste their money on it.

I figured to give it a chance as I liked what the calibration did to my headphones, so I bought the full version with mic. A mic that appears to be apart from the logo and calibration file the exact same mic as my behringer mic.

As for other interfaces, I have an old MBox in the closet but assume it wont work either, or a set of converters with external preamps connected to the digi 002 through adat.

Buying another interface, just for a one time use sounds a bit crazy to me...

Anyway, thx for your help!
Old 07-10-2020, 02:53 AM

I did the same testing with my old M-Box and got the same issues, so no testing and speaker calibration for me at this point!

In wasapi mode I get the same issue on the input side as well with the M-Box, that is the software claiming the device is set at 48K.

Contacted Sonarworks on monday, but it could take up to 2 weeks for a reply they said after submitting...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM

FWIW, Sonarworks and I went back and forth for several days as I could not get it to work with my 003 rack. After several emails, they insisted that it was a clock issue with the 003(BTW, the test process MUST be done at 44.1K). I borrowed another interface from a friend and the process went straight thru without a hitch. I can only imagine that if the clock on my 003 is a tad off, then an older 002 could be even further off spec. Now you may still think its Sonarworks and your 002 is fine, because it works, but consider; its a good 15 years old, and built to a price point. At some point, it gets to be time to replace it anyway. My 003 continued to function in a seemingly normal way, but then one day it simply stopped passing audio. It has now been replaced with a Presonus Studio 1810c

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, Sonarworks and I went back and forth for several days as I could not get it to work with my 003 rack. After several emails, they insisted that it was a clock issue with the 003(BTW, the test process MUST be done at 44.1K). I borrowed another interface from a friend and the process went straight thru without a hitch. I can only imagine that if the clock on my 003 is a tad off, then an older 002 could be even further off spec. Now you may still think its Sonarworks and your 002 is fine, because it works, but consider; its a good 15 years old, and built to a price point. At some point, it gets to be time to replace it anyway. My 003 continued to function in a seemingly normal way, but then one day it simply stopped passing audio. It has now been replaced with a Presonus Studio 1810c
I'm aware of the age of my device, but meanwhile I tried 4 different interfaces and event tested with other mic's and other computer like my unused Win7 laptop. So far I always got the same issue.

As far as upgrading my set-up, I'm upgrading to ORION 32 after I finished and get payed for the current project I'm working on. But then the question is will the calibration work on that as I will be using my console as pre'amp and output controller.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:02 PM

The calibration must be done at 44.1K, but once it finishes and generates a correction curve, that plugin and curve will work at any supported sample rate. It is crucial to remember to remove/bypass the correction when you bounce to disk. Having said that, my own experience has been somewhat of a head scratcher. The first mix I called up and ran thru the correction sounded dreadful, while the second mix sounded really good. What's odd is that both mixes were from the same artist/CD project that the artist and producer signed off on. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm". I also have IK's ARC and will try to run some comparisons.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The calibration must be done at 44.1K, but once it finishes and generates a correction curve, that plugin and curve will work at any supported sample rate. It is crucial to remember to remove/bypass the correction when you bounce to disk. Having said that, my own experience has been somewhat of a head scratcher. The first mix I called up and ran thru the correction sounded dreadful, while the second mix sounded really good. What's odd is that both mixes were from the same artist/CD project that the artist and producer signed off on. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm". I also have IK's ARC and will try to run some comparisons.
Everything is set at 44.1K but still in WASAPI mode it claims it's not. In ASIO mode I cant get passed the first level test on all interfaces I tried.
I guess it's some sort of internal looping issue with the old ASIO drivers.

Have been going back and forth with the support and I'm currently looking for a simple used interface, will see how that goes. Cheers
Old 07-22-2020, 11:03 AM

FWIW, I spent yesterday with ARC 3(IK Multimedia)and its room calibration went thru mostly painlessly(the only pain was caused my own screw-up) The ARC 3 plugin seems to like to come up with the output level way down(10 db or so). I need to play with it more, but so far, I'm leaning toward selling Sonarworks

Old 07-22-2020, 11:43 AM

Do the interfaces you are using have their own internal mixers? The Focusrite Saffire Pro interface I used has an internal mixer called Saffire Mix Control. I inserted the reference mike into input 1 of the interface. Opened a Protools session with Sonar Works inserted as a plugin on a stereo track and opened calibration page. Opened Saffire Mix Control and adjusted level of test tone from input fader one in Mix Control until Sonar Works detected optimal level. Once that was done, I was able to complete the other calibration points and save the profile.