Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Default Eleven Rack Only Recording Dry Guitar Signal no FX

Hello I mentioned this on another thread but I thought I start it's own one. I'm using a PC and Reaper with the Eleven Rack going in via USB and using the True Z to go into the unit. The input selected in Reaper is Guitar as well as in the Eleven Rack. The main outs are going into the amp

If I hit record in Reaper it only records the dry guitar signal? How do I get the proper processed signal into my DAW?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 AM

As mentioned before you need to record the rig output signals not the guitar in (dry) signal.

Although it does not mention Reaper specifically, try reading this general asio oriented getting started article... http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1772

If that does not help tell us more info including the versions of Windows and Reaper and see the "Help us Help you" link.

Darryl
Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Only Recording Dry Guitar Signal no FX

Once again Daryl major thanks for your continued help here it's much appreciated!!! - now I've got the rig recording in Reaper 3.651 and there's (hopefully!) one last thing here :

Volume wise the guitars are coming through and overpowering everything in the DAW. When recorded it's fine but the ER volume seems to be coming through completely independently, so I cannot control this inside the DAW with it's faders as normal. If I turn the track faders or master fader to zero the guitars are still sounding.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 Asio drivers
Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran5000 View Post
Once again Daryl major thanks for your continued help here it's much appreciated!!! - now I've got the rig recording in Reaper 3.651 and there's (hopefully!) one last thing here :

Volume wise the guitars are coming through and overpowering everything in the DAW. When recorded it's fine but the ER volume seems to be coming through completely independently, so I cannot control this inside the DAW with it's faders as normal. If I turn the track faders or master fader to zero the guitars are still sounding.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 Asio drivers
Oh that now. Since I really use Pro Tools on OS X I'd forgotten about that, but I think it show up with CoreAudio and apps on OS X as well (Garage band, etc.). I think it was mentioned at some stage Avid wanted to add a with to the asio driver to mute the in-box output but I dont' think this was ever done. Windows folks here may have more info.

You may be able to play with your DAW master volume and individual track play levels and the Eleven Rack rig out volume settings and find a point where the Eleven Rack internal main out sounds are less annoying. But whatever you do this is really no way to track, mix or monitor.

Since you have the Babyface and want to use it anyhow the thing I would do is connect the Eleven Rack as an ouboard digital processor to the Babyface, which will require an SPDIF-RCA to TOSLINK adaper (get either two adapters or a dual adapter so you can go both to/from the Eleven Rack for reamping).

You then monitor through speakers on the Babyface and record from its S/PDIF inputs. And you can reamp etc. via its S/PDIF digital out to the Eleven Rack. You will need to set up one device as the clock master and the other a a slave to it, the manuals should help you there.

I am not following if you have tried exactly this before and got stuck, since I cannot follow your description of problems in other threads. If you have problems with doing this you need to write a very clear description of what is connected to what etc. and exactly what is happening.

Darryl
Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 AM

I was using the SPDIF method but the internal clock of the Eleven Rack is set at 48khz and this overrides my DAW - this is not changeable within the ER which is really rubbish because it now means I have to buy leads going the other way and another convertor.

I have admit there's some real annoyances with this unit - I might have to just go analogue and forget the USB / digital route - it's about time I stopped messing about with the damn thing and started recording!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran5000 View Post
I was using the SPDIF method but the internal clock of the Eleven Rack is set at 48khz and this overrides my DAW - this is not changeable within the ER which is really rubbish because it now means I have to buy leads going the other way and another convertor.

I have admit there's some real annoyances with this unit - I might have to just go analogue and forget the USB / digital route - it's about time I stopped messing about with the damn thing and started recording!!!
I would go digital on these links, makes a lot more sense than unneeded rounds of A/D and D/A conversion, especially if you ever want to reamp.

You should be able to do this with a unidirectional digital audio link, but you won't have any reamp ability. I am willing to bet you just had something very simple setup wrong. The Eleven rack should have been set to clock internal. The Babyface set to clock from its optical input and the DAW set to clock from the Babyface. The Babyface and Daw session may still need their clock rates manually set to the same rate as the Eleven Rack.... this can especially be true if your DAW is using WDM or asio4all drivers (which use WDM drivers) (which is one reason providing detail about OS and software versions when reporting problems might have gotten you better help from folks).

Carefully read all three product manuals where they talk about clocking. If the Eleven Rack is set to clock internally and only connected to another box via its digital audio output you should be able to change its clock rate. I am guessing you simply had the Eleven Rack connected to the computer via a USB cable while doing this even if you were not using that USB link, In which case the Eleven Rack is *not* in stand alone mode and you cannot set the clock rate from the front panel knob. If so just unplug that USB cable and you should be off and running (that always works for me) if not try rebooting the Eleven Rack without the USB cable attached.

Very clear descriptions of exactly what is connected to what and when might have helped somebody spot this for you several problem reporting threads ago.

Internal and external clocking stuff should really just work, it's so widely used in all these products. This is one of those times you probably just need the confidence to assume all the problems are things you are doing wrong and however frustrating it is to just keep spending time plowing through testing things....

Darryl
Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Jumping in here, not sure if I missed something. But I'm currently using an RME Fireface 800 + 11Rack. 11R is is set to external, which banks off the Fireface's clock. USB is plugged in all the time, no problems. And I believe most of the routing/clocking in the Babyface will be handled by the built in drivers that appear when you plug the unit in, as it is with the Fireface.

The Babyface's clock should be set to master. As long as both SPDIF connections are made, and the Babyface is turned on first, the 11R should be able to latch onto the Babyface's clock.

Regarding recording the dry and wet signal coming from the 11R, for this I usually have the 11R Digital Output set to Split In/Out. That way on the stereo SPDIF output the left output gets the wet and the right gets the dry, I think. Could be vice versa. The Fireface sees this as two mono outs anyway, and I always record guitars in mono. Just set up two mono tracks, given that the Babyface is the main interface, and set the inputs accordingly. In my case, my Fireface receives the 11R's digital output in inputs 11-12.

This is the setup I use with all my DAWs, be it PT, Live, Logic, or Reaper. It should be noted that I always have PT running in the background, no CPU problems or anything like that. I dont know if it is relevant, but when I'm just using PT for the editor, I have the Playback Engine set to PT Aggregate I/O or built-in, just to make sure PT doesn't hijack the 11R in anyway shape or form. It really shouldn't though, because if there is no session open, I don't think it'll mess with the clock. And as long as the 11R is connected via USB, you will have access to the 11R window.

Just my two cents. Also, I'm on a Mac. Not 100% sure on Windows systems.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

I am guessing you simply had the Eleven Rack connected to the computer via a USB cable while doing this even if you were not using that USB link, In which case the Eleven Rack is *not* in stand alone mode and you cannot set the clock rate from the front panel knob. If so just unplug that USB cable and you should be off and running (that always works for me) if not try rebooting the Eleven Rack without the USB cable attached.

Darryl
Fookin hell that's done it!! Finally the pain is over

You should really write the instruction booklet Darryl there's nothing about this in there, i.e. unplugging the USB to get access to the internal sample rate options. You've been really really helpful and I wanna say thanks for everything - I shan't return until I have a recording to show you guys!

Also Madgt you're right, but I only had a leads going one way so I was reliant on the ER's sample rate - there should really be an option to change it regardless of whether it's plugged into the USB port, locking it in to 48khz under certain circumstances makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyways everything should be fine from this point onwards
Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Actually the Eleven Rack User Guide both v8 and v9 do make it clear the clock rate cannot be set from the front panel if the USB cable is connected. E.g. In the v9 user guide....

"However, when Eleven Rack is connected to your computer via USB (in this case, for control reasons), the sample rate and clock source can no longer be set from the front panel."

You do need to read through the whole Eleven Rack User Guide as they do not have good sections dedicated to non-Pro Tools DAW use.

Darryl
Old 07-09-2012, 02:40 PM