Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Waiting On Video Operation To Complete

Waiting On Video Operation To Complete

Getting this error a LOT lately... On the new Mac Pro, with MacOS 10.9.3, and PT 11.1.3 HDX system. I also have a BM Intensity card in a Sonnet TB Chassis with the HDX Card.

If I don't work with vid files, everything seems to be ok... but once I open a session with video, or import video into a session, I 'tend to get this error message when closing sessions....and the processes PT goes thru when closing a session takes for ever. Seems to defiantly be a PT Video Engine problem.

PT seems to go into some "degenerative" state. Sessions that opened just fine moments ago, now take forever to open, throw a missing codec error, and the vid track is yellowish and of course doesn't play back, and the session takes a very long time to close.

Quitting PT and re-opening the app seems to solve the problem, but only temporarily... something else sets it off, and I'm back with the error message.

Here's hoping Avid can find this bug, and FAST!!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Waiting On Video Operation To Complete

What type of video are you using? I've been getting the same thing. At the moment we are using .dv files. This is on a Mac Mini running an HD license, no video output device on Mac OS 10.8.x. Our systems couldn't be any more different, yet we are getting the same thing. Software related?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 AM

I get the same error on a silver Mac Pro 5.1 with Black Magic PCIe Decklink Mini Monitor. Avid DNxHD Codec MXF.

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Same thing here with HDX and Black Magic intensity with Imac protools 11. Any solution for this?

Stupid question bring up new invention
Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
What type of video are you using?
Frankly, I don't think it shouldn't matter...but the answer is usually h.264 vids. PT should be able to playback any video format that QT can playback. These aren't esoteric vids with arcane codecs...just run of the mill system vids that seem to choke PT.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Talbot View Post
Frankly, I don't think it shouldn't matter...but the answer is usually h.264 vids. PT should be able to playback any video format that QT can playback. These aren't esoteric vids with arcane codecs...just run of the mill system vids that seem to choke PT.

Just trying to find a common thread. Wasn't insinuating that you were doing something odd.

Take this FWIW:

Spoke with my local Avid rep this week. He said that they were painfully aware of the issue and that a fix was in the works. However, I'll believe it when it actually stops happening.

Fortunately, on the New Mac Pro, restart and reopen only takes about a minute all up.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 PM

I am seeing it on 10.8.5 HDX 1 with ProRes files. in fact, as I type......

Then it gives me the "The Video Engine had an unrecoverable error. Would you like to reinitialize the Engine?"

This was in a new session with a new import of the video.

Had to quit and restart.

What would be great is an un[bleep]upable Video Engine.

I am NOT using a Black Magic card.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash

Last edited by minister; 06-11-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Is this a new error that you are seeing after installing your latest new BM drivers and using PT 11.1.3? I hope is not yet another new bug.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 AM

I get it too with MJPG and ProRes and NO Blackmagic card. Only happens with some video files... and seems to happen on at the same place on the timeline?
(For example, every time I got to a certain scene it would happen... then I switched video files and it fixed it)
iMac, PT11.1.3 native, os10.8.5
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Not sure as this last upgrade changed soooo much in my system it's hard to say what the culprit is... but... clearly this isn't what Avid has in mind.

I'm assuming it should work with any codec supported by QT on my system...

The BM card has the latest drivers... and while the card isn't new, I've just started using it with PT, so can't comment on "before"....

All I know is I hope they get this fixed.. :)