Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 AM

Default no sound with aggregated device / 32 channel limit?

Dear all,

i'm bit confused with the I/O limitations of PT12 native.

I have a Mac Pro Tools Aggregated device (same happens if i set it up as a Coreaudio aggregated device) with around 52 channels (48 on 88,2 and 96 KHz).

The first device (UAD Apollo 8 Thunderbolt + ADAT expanded with Audient APS 880) allocates the first 32 devices. The second device is a Focusrite Claret 8Pre + ADAT expanded Focusrite October mkII. The Clarett just handles 4 channels of ADAT expansion if on 88,2 KHz and higher / above 8 channels.

This works well under any other DAW and audio software, but if i try to access any port under Pro Tools of the second Thunderbolt device i get silence / no signal. No warning nor other thing arises.

I know that Pro Tools native has a limitation of 32 "input channels", but i thought this only affects I/O channels for parallel recording - not the usable channels at all.

Before i look further about any tech problem - does Pro Tools native handles more then 32 channels I/O - even if i record just from a few at the same time?

If so - what could be the reason why PT did not gives any sound on the channels on the second device (channels > 33-52)?

If native has that limitation - is there any way around that limitation without to spend into a full HD version (with 500 bucks per year for updates)?

Just for completeness - this is the Setup (simplified):

Code:
Mac 
   |
aggregated device / PT aggregated device
          |
   |-------------|
   v             v
Apollo8    Claret 8Pre
   |             |
  ADAT        ADAT
   |             |
   v             v
ASP 880   OctroPre mkII

The Apollo if SPDIF cross connected to a AVID Eleven Rack (as FX / ReAmp 2 bus i/O)

The Clarett 8Pre is the Master clock (T-splitted).

many thanks for any hint or tip,

Niels.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:15 AM

Default Re: no sound with aggregated device / 32 channel limit?

Yes, the 32 limit is the issue. PT recognizes the first 32 channels as presented by the driver. The thing is that even with HD you're still limited to 32 when using coreaudio or ASIO drivers.

3. Pro Tools | HD software supports up to 64 channels of I/O with HD Native hardware through DigiLink, and up to 32 channels of I/O through Core Audio and ASIO

With aggregate devices you can change the order of how the device is presented in AMS if that helps in making a more usable configuration.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 07-03-2017, 03:20 AM

There is a way within the UAD ecosphere to change the number of channels that PT has presented to it. I think this was done when they came out with the 'ProTools' mode in their operating system s/w. I would say to consult the manual.

QAPLA!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Yes, the 32 limit is the issue. PT recognizes the first 32 channels as presented by the driver. The thing is that even with HD you're still limited to 32 when using coreaudio or ASIO drivers.
Yes, this is true. You can't go over 32 simultaneous i/o without Avid hardware -- either HDN (64) or HDX (unlimited)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:06 PM

Hiho guys,

many thanks for your very helpful infos.

Quote:
The thing is that even with HD you're still limited to 32 when using coreaudio or ASIO drivers.
Ahh, this is very important - because i thought about saving for PT HD and the yearly update plans. Does this affect even "Pro Tools aggregated Device"s? Seem's to make no sense for my scenario then....

Quote:
There is a way within the UAD ecosphere to change the number of channels that PT has presented to it. I think this was done when they came out with the 'ProTools' mode in their operating system s/w. I would say to consult the manual.
Ahh, yes, i've still run the UAD in "Pro Tools Mode" which gives me 32 channels (from which i use around 26 - so this may give me further 8 channels).

But i'm really wondering about UAD2 Apollo users with multiple UAD2 stacked 32 I/O interfaces - i've seen several users which use i.e. 2-4 stacked Apollos with Pro Tools. What do that guys do? Running anything trough AVID HD hardware? Or is UAD2 Apollo directly not a Coreaudio device (i thought "anything" is "CoreAudio" what not could be selected under "Hardware" in PT)?

Just to state again: I do not need to RECORD more then 32 channels in parallel - i "just" need access from PT to record a few tracks at once from a selection of 52 input devices. But i think this is still what you guys mean too...ß(

many thanks again for your time guys,
best regards,

Niels.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:23 PM

The thing is, PT sees FIRST 32 i/o, so if your interface has 96 i/o you need to have a software in between that changes the i/o numbers so that for example 49-56 appear as 1-8 and 89-96 appear as 9-16 and so on