Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Default Mbox 2 Mini problems with Logic 9

Greetings,

Perhaps someone can help. I am mostly a Logic user and use a RME Fireface interface. I do need to export/import sessions in Pro Tools for which I use my Mbox 2 mini.

I'm on a job that took me away from my regular studio and I thought I'd just bring my Mbox and use that with Logic. What's happening is I get system overload messages constantly. But if I continue and restart over and over again until it reaches the end of the piece Logic starts behaving ok.

I've never had this problem before so I'm pretty certain it's the Mbox. Any suggestions on how to proceed to troubleshoot/repair?

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Mini problems with Logic 9

That's a pretty quick conclusion to assume it's the Mbox...

Have you even bothered to check the Logic forums first? Apple isn't flawless... Logic ships with bugs and problems, too. It's not to say there isn't a communication problem, but that could be any number of things. Have you tried running Permission Repair? How recent are your updates? Version of Logic/Pro Tools?

I seriously doubt the problem you're having is hardware related...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 AM

If it helps..
I'm using running Logic 9 on my MBP using a Mini and I don't have any problems at all with Logic 9. If anything, I get better performance at low buffer sizes than I did with my Saffire.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedude View Post
If it helps..
I'm using running Logic 9 on my MBP using a Mini and I don't have any problems at all with Logic 9. If anything, I get better performance at low buffer sizes than I did with my Saffire.
Thank you for your response, Spacedude.

May I ask, what OS version you're using and if there are any updates I should be aware of.

Cheers,
MJ
Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayinla View Post
Thank you for your response, Spacedude.

May I ask, what OS version you're using and if there are any updates I should be aware of.

Cheers,
MJ
I've been bit silly from a PT point of view and I updated to Snow Leopard (10.6.1) but before that it was running just as fine in 10.5.8 (PT8 runs lovely in SL for me too actually)

I'm on a 2.4 MBP
Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Hi Spacedude,

You're a lot braver than I. I have my copy of SL but haven't updated. Ok- I'm also on 10.5.7 so maybe the problem is there. Since I'm in the middle of a project I hate to go monkeying around with it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayinla View Post
Hi Spacedude,

You're a lot braver than I. I have my copy of SL but haven't updated. Ok- I'm also on 10.5.7 so maybe the problem is there. Since I'm in the middle of a project I hate to go monkeying around with it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I'm just a hobbyist so it's easier to be brave :)
Old 09-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Problem resolved.

As regards Dism's post - I did try the obvious things and looked at the Logic forum. Having said that, it's not unreasonable to assume the newest thing entered into a stable system is the problem.

And having said that - what I didn't check was my RAM. Apparently 4 out of 5 gigs of Ram shook loose during the trip. Once I snapped the card back in place Logic and everything else ran as before. I guess that does speak well of PT in that it worked as well with 1 gig of ram as it did with 5 gigs. Logic, on the other hand was barely useable.

Thanks again to Spacedude. Yours was the only post from a Mini user who works with Logic. That kept me seeking a solution, albeit a boneheaded one I should have thought of right away.

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm sorry if I came across as a bit harsh. It just seemed to me as though you were being quick to blame Digi for something that could be caused by just about anything else... like your apparent RAM problems.

I also don't have anything against Logic or any other DAWs for that matter. If it sounds good, use it. Glad you were able to solve the problem.