Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 PM

Default Plugging into USB breaks sound output - popping noises until factory reset

When I plug my 11R into my computer via USB, it causes any sound from the 11R to cut out and I only hear popping and clicking noises. After that, no matter how many times I turn on/off the 11R, even when it isn't connected to USB. I've played with about every setting and nothing works to fix it. I have to perform a factory reset on the 11R to get it to output ANY sound again.

I installed all of the proper drivers and everything on my Windows 10 64bit PC, along with the 11R editor. The editor works and I can change settings on the 11R, but no sound besides popping and clicking. Like I said, only a factory reset restores sound output. I saved my presets before resetting, but I can't get them back onto the 11R because anytime I plug it into my PC, it breaks the sound output.

I've tried different cables and different methods based on other research I've googled for but nothing works. I have the EXACT same problem as in this thread:http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=365532

That guy didn't get his problem resolved. His solution was to ditch the Eleven Rack and go with an Axe Fx II. I might have to do the same thing if there isn't any solution for this. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Plugging into USB breaks sound output - popping noises until factory reset

So, no solution for this huh?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Plugging into USB breaks sound output - popping noises until factory reset

Are you plugging the 11R in to the PC when its already ON?

Have you tried plugging in the 11R via USB.

Turn the PC and 11R OFF.

Turn the 11R ON.

Do you get sound from the headphones and Main Outs?

If YES.

Turn ON the PC.

Do you get sound from the headphones and Main Outs?

Are you plugged directly into the PC or a Hub? Try to use a USB 2.0 port on the rear of the PC.

Unplug EVERY other USB device and just use the 11R.

Disable the 11R from being used as the main interface for PC sounds.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-22-2016, 08:03 PM

Hey Benoni, thanks for the reply. Yes I've tried all of the above combinations and no luck. If it's plugged into my PC under any condition/combination the sound output on the Eleven Rack breaks until a factory reset is performed. Even when the eleven rack is completely unplugged and then powered on again standalone - after it's plugged into my PC it does not function again properly no matter what until it's factory reset.

I'm not doing anything funky cable-wise. I've tried various high quality USB cables and plugging directly into the various USB 2.0 ports on my PC just as I should be doing.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:23 PM

Can you try it with another computer?

Is this a new unit that is still under warranty?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-09-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Can you try it with another computer?

Is this a new unit that is still under warranty?
No, this unit was bought used and I don't believe it's under warranty.

I was able to connect a different laptop to it and it did not break, however this does NOT fall under the category of my computer being the issue - no other audio equipment malfunctions when plugged into my computer besides the 11R. Therefore I can't record using the 11R or fine tune my sound using a PC.