Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 PM

Default Audio is only comping from my monitor, and not my audio interface

Hi, I just recently began using Pro Tools 11. I have started editing some stuff and the sound will only come out of my computer monitor. I built my own PC and have a speaker system that I connected to my tower. I cannot get the sound to come out of the speakers or come through my headphones when plugged into the headphone jack on the tower.

To try and fix this, I went to Setup -> Playback Engine. A window pops up and the first line reads Playback Engine: ASIO4ALL v2. I cannot change or select this setting. ASIO4ALL v2 has no window that can be selected. What do I do?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Audio is only comping from my monitor, and not my audio interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjtblanton View Post
Hi, I just recently began using Pro Tools 11. I have started editing some stuff and the sound will only come out of my computer monitor. I built my own PC and have a speaker system that I connected to my tower. I cannot get the sound to come out of the speakers or come through my headphones when plugged into the headphone jack on the tower.

To try and fix this, I went to Setup -> Playback Engine. A window pops up and the first line reads Playback Engine: ASIO4ALL v2. I cannot change or select this setting. ASIO4ALL v2 has no window that can be selected. What do I do?
First off you need to give us the specs on your system. A SiSoft Sandra report would help amongst other things. There's a 'help us to help you' link that's at the top of every page - check it out and follow it.

Your speaker system - are they powered monitors or just plain speakers? If the latter that's one of the reasons you're not getting any sound - a headphone output will never have enough power to drive unamplified speakers. Those headphones may also present too heavy of a load to the computer.

Hold down the 'n' key on your computer keyboard as you start PT and you'll be presented with the ability to select your audio interface. You really need to have an external audio interface to get any kind of decent sound output when working with any recording program, not just PT. On board sound I/O is good for nothing but games and even then sucks, to put it mildly.

QAPLA!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First off you need to give us the specs on your system. A SiSoft Sandra report would help amongst other things. There's a 'help us to help you' link that's at the top of every page - check it out and follow it.

Your speaker system - are they powered monitors or just plain speakers? If the latter that's one of the reasons you're not getting any sound - a headphone output will never have enough power to drive unamplified speakers. Those headphones may also present too heavy of a load to the computer.

Hold down the 'n' key on your computer keyboard as you start PT and you'll be presented with the ability to select your audio interface. You really need to have an external audio interface to get any kind of decent sound output when working with any recording program, not just PT. On board sound I/O is good for nothing but games and even then sucks, to put it mildly.
I have a pair of speakers that have their own power source. They are the JBL LSR305 speakers. They work fine. Sound from all other programs comes out of them as desired. They are powered independently and connected to my tower via an audio jack. I also plug in a pair of headphones into an audio jack on my tower to listen to sound when needed.

As stated before, I have already tried to change the audio interface under the Playback Engine window. When the window opens, I cannot change the Playback Engine option. It says "ASIO4ALL v2" and nothing can be selected.

I don't see why my computer's specs should be relevant. It's very powerful. Way more than enough to run Pro Tools. But here they are:
CPU: Intel Core i7‑5820K (6-core, 3.3 GHz)
GPU: Radeon R9 390 (SAPPHIRE NITRO)
32GB RAM
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Running Windows 10

When using Pro Tools, all sound from other programs still comes out of my external speakers or headphones. But the sound from Pro Tools comes out of my computer monitor. I need Pro Tools to act like all of my other programs.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:43 PM

We cannot guess what your monitor speakers or others are actually connected to and how. That "what is it connected to" is what you set the playback engine to in Pro Tools.

What *exact* (e.g. make/model/part number) audio interface/sound card/chipset is installed in the computer that you are hoping for Pro Tools to use? And does it have a native ASIO driver for that interface/chipset? Did you install that driver (and what exact version did you install, ideally provide a link to the driver download you used) ? If not ASIO4ALL is the best you can do (it wraps any old Windows WDM audio driver and makes it looks like ASIO).

If building an DAW/audio PC and you want to use the internal soundcard/chipset the first thing to do is make sure that has a native ASIO driver. Does yours? What is shown under Windows device manager for that device/driver?

ASIO4ALL frequently sucks. But even if you are stuck with ASIO4ALL on all your audio interfaces you should be able to configure it to work with what you need. You need to read up on using the ASIO4ALL control panel in the ASIO4ALL documentation, found online.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjtblanton View Post
I have a pair of speakers that have their own power source. They are the JBL LSR305 speakers. They work fine. Sound from all other programs comes out of them as desired. They are powered independently and connected to my tower via an audio jack. I also plug in a pair of headphones into an audio jack on my tower to listen to sound when needed.

As stated before, I have already tried to change the audio interface under the Playback Engine window. When the window opens, I cannot change the Playback Engine option. It says "ASIO4ALL v2" and nothing can be selected.

I don't see why my computer's specs should be relevant. It's very powerful. Way more than enough to run Pro Tools. But here they are:
CPU: Intel Core i7‑5820K (6-core, 3.3 GHz)
GPU: Radeon R9 390 (SAPPHIRE NITRO)
32GB RAM
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Running Windows 10

When using Pro Tools, all sound from other programs still comes out of my external speakers or headphones. But the sound from Pro Tools comes out of my computer monitor. I need Pro Tools to act like all of my other programs.
Computer specs are always important when trying to diagnose a problem. And the more info you give, the better the diagnosis and cure that can be given. You only give part of your system; how about posting a Sandra report?

I think part of your problem might be due to the seeming fact that you're using the same audio output for both system and PT; that's never a good thing. You really should have a separate external audio interface for PT usage.

As far as selecting your audio device have you held down the 'n' key when starting PT? That will allow you to select your interface.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2016, 04:26 PM

I'm trying to address this problem once again. Here is the info on what's happening:

I have a trial version of Pro Tools 11.3.0. No sound is coming out of the program. Nothing is muted. All of my other programs produce sound just fine.

To fix this I went to Setup -> Playback Engine.
In the window that pops up, it says Playback Engine: ASIO4ALL v2
I cannot select or change the playback engine settings. ASIO4ALL v2 is simply greyed out.

I then closed Pro Tools and opened it while holding down the n key. The same Playback Engine window popped up. As before it says Playback Engine: ASIO4ALL v2 and nothing can be selected.

How do I fix this?

It seems you guys also want a SiSoft Sandra report. I don't really know what parts of it you want or why it's necessary, so here's the whole thing:

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : DESKTOP-GL44O6O
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : OEM
Serial Number : To Be Fille***********
Chassis : Desktop
Mainboard : ASRock X99 Extreme4
Serial Number : M80-560********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) P2.00 06/01/2015
Intel vPro : 9.01.02.1010
Total Memory : 32GB DIMM DDR4

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (6C 12T 3.6GHz, 3.6GHz IMC, 6x 256kB L2, 15MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA2011

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASRock Xeon (Haswell-E) DMI2 100MHz
Memory Controller : ASRock Xeon (Haswell-E) Integrated Memory Controller 0 Target Address, Thermal & RAS Registers 100MHz, 4x 8GB DIMM DDR4 2.13GHz 256-bit
Memory Controller : Intel Xeon (Haswell-E) Integrated Memory Controller 1 Target Address, Thermal & RAS Registers 100MHz

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : G.Skill F4-2133C15-8GRR 8GB DDR4 PC4-17100U DDR4-2132 (15-15-15-36 4-52-17-6)
Memory Module : G.Skill F4-2133C15-8GRR 8GB DDR4 PC4-17100U DDR4-2132 (15-15-15-36 4-52-17-6)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : ACR G257HL
(1920x1080, 24.9")
Monitor/Panel : ACR G257HL
(1920x1080, 24.9")
Video Adapter : AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (40CU 2560SP SM5.1 1GHz/947MHz 6% OC, 16kB L2, 8GB DDR3 6GHz 512-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)
Video Adapter : AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (40CU 2560SP SM5.1 1GHz/947MHz 6% OC, 16kB L2, 8GB DDR3 6GHz 512-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (2560SP 40C 1GHz/947MHz 6% OC, 16kB L2, 8GB DDR3 6GHz 512-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (2560SP 40C 1GHz/947MHz 6% OC, 16kB L2, 8GB DDR3 6GHz 512-bit)
OpenGL Processor : AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (2560SP 40C 1GHz/947MHz 6% OC, 16kB L2, 8GB DDR3 6GHz 512-bit)
OpenGL Processor : AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (2560SP 40C 1GHz/947MHz 6% OC, 16kB L2, 8GB DDR3 6GHz 512-bit)

Storage Devices
WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (3TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 3TB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, SSD, SED) : 466GB (C:) (E:)
Generic STORAGE DEVICE (31.9GB, USB2) : 30GB (G:)
HP DVD Writer 1265t (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved (E:) : 500MB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, SSD, SED)
EOS_DIGITAL (G:) : 30GB (FAT32, 32kB) @ Generic STORAGE DEVICE (31.9GB, USB2)
Hard Disk (C:) : 465GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, SSD, SED)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ HP DVD Writer 1265t (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASRock Wellsburg LPC Controller
Audio Device : ASRock Wellsburg HD Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semi 0900
Audio Device : PC Partner Hawaii HDMI Audio
Audio Codec : ATI (AMD) HDMI Audio
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : ASRock Wellsburg sSATA Controller [AHCI mode]
USB Controller 1 : ASRock Wellsburg USB xHCI Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : ASRock Wellsburg USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 3 : ASRock Wellsburg USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus
SMBus/i2c Controller 2 : Intel SNB/IVB/HSW-E XMB Ch 0 SMBus
SMBus/i2c Controller 3 : Intel SNB/IVB/HSW-E XMB Ch 1 SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Send to Microsoft OneNote 16 Driver (1200x1200, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft Print To PDF (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Amyuni Document Converter 400 (2400x2400, Parallel, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Peripherals
Media Player : Generic STORAGE DEVICE (29.71GB)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 10 Personal 10.00.14393
Platform Compliance : x64
Old 10-28-2016, 05:18 AM

Looking at your Sandra it looks like you don't have a real external audio interface and are you using either the Realtek or the hdmi output for your audio. Not optimal at all - you really should have a true external audio interface - how else are you going to record anything or get decent audio?

You don't say how your monitor screen is connected but I'm going to guess it's via the hdmi connection and that's why you're getting audio through the monitor. Have to ask - why are you running asio4all? Doesn't the Realtek have it's own drivers? Also what are you using for system sounds? It's a no-no to use the same interface for that and also PT audio.

But it comes down to getting a real external audio interface, ditch the asio4all and use that for PT audio. Not a huge fan of built-in gamer audio I/O especially if you're trying to do anything of consequence that resembles quality work.

QAPLA!