Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Default 12 cores not being used equally (cpu errors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Hey JFreak I did a test myself. I took pro tools sound generator and rendered a sine wave at 20k. Ona at 48khz sample rate and one at 192khz. Can you tell me which one looks more like a sine wave?

See attached pictures. Zoom on pro tools at maximum

Btw, all can do this test.

Did you watch the xiph.org video posted above by Darryl Ramm? It explains why a waveform can look like that but you still really get a true sine wave.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 PM

Default Re: 12 cores not being used equally (cpu errors)

Quote:
See attached pictures
Lucky our ears don't see them, it is simply a representation of bunch of samples; again -- the mixer recreates SIGNAL from samples and what you see is not what you hear. This is digital signal processing 101 actually.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:29 PM

Hi,

First post for me as I’ve just joined a couple of weeks ago...

I’ve already found the forum to be helpful, so thanks!

I love Monty’s explanation of continuous versus discrete time that starts around 6:15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-27-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah but this is saying to me that are 4x more snapshots of the same audio wave at 192 vz 48.

indeed the converter is reconstructing the wave...but...I'm sure something is letting behind...

Anyway, thanks a lot.
... and again the stuff being “left behind” is all the additional higher frequency signal that you get as you increase the Nyquist frequency by raising the sample rate. This is basic basic sampling theory stuff. You keep coming back here and have not bothered to read or understand things people have given you links to. This Lavry paper http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lav...ing-theory.pdf has a section titled “You do not need "more dots" for better accuracy”, that explains exactly why this claim is wrong.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah but this is saying to me that are 4x more snapshots of the same audio wave at 192 vz 48.

indeed the converter is reconstructing the wave...but...I'm sure something is letting behind...

Anyway, thanks a lot.
You're welcome.

What is left behind is the visual representation of the signal. Whichever way we try to SEE IT, it's always going to be for our eyes only. And because you seem to love video analogy... you know, our ears cannot hear silent films from late 1800's to early 1900's, apart from the pianist playing in the front row. Visual representation of a signal is for our eyes only. Mostly we are interested whether the energy is close to zero or digital maximum. The shape of a waveform shown by any DAW is pretty much irrelevant.

You need to forget the snapshot thing, because you only store samples in your audio files. The mixer is reading the samples and constructs a SIGNAL out of it, and it is the SIGNAL we are processing within a DAW, not crushing samples like crazy. A sample is just a time scale of how fast the mixer is processing the signal and relevant to syncing signals relative to each others.

Really dude, you need to read everything available regarding "Nyquist Theorem" and "Digital Sampling Theory" until you know the difference between samples and signals. It all comes down to assumption that our ears can only hear about 20Hz to 20kHz and if you filter out everything except the human hearing range your "perfect signal" can be achieved using 40kHz sampling rate.

... and really, ALL THE REASONS why there are higher sampling rates come down to LESS THAN PERFECT converters and filters; as a workaround to pushing those imperfections higher than a human ear can hear. Optimal sampling rate would therefore be about 64kHz which would allow 32kHz bat noise but even a mediocre gear would behave pretty linear up to 20kHz
Old 03-27-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Ok, this could be. Let me sleep over it...and read more...
Flat earth is the truth right?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your kind help.
There is 8 slices of my apple pie. Will it taste better if I slice it into 16 slices?

Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
There is 8 slices of my apple pie. Will it taste better if I slice it into 16 slices?

Sort of like what they're doing out in St.Louis where they vertically slice bagels into slices

QAPLA!