Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 PM

Default Plug-ins on Venue?

Hello,

Which plug-in types does the Venue allow?

I've seen .TDM and "Native" mentioned. Would that be AAX Native?

thanks!
Nick
Old 10-24-2015, 01:40 AM

Default Plug-ins on Venue?

VENUE (the original) requires TDM and special VENUE installers. The new consoles, often referred to as "the new Venue", require AAX-DSP
Old 10-25-2015, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Plug-ins on Venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
VENUE (the original) requires TDM and special VENUE installers. The new consoles, often referred to as "the new Venue", require AAX-DSP
This is correct and while special VENUE installers are preferred there is a way to install plugins with regular Windows installers by "exiting to desktop". For both generations of desks, you need to install DSP versions and have to have appropriate DSP version licenses.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Can you please tell us how to install plug ins by exiting to desktop? I know its not preferred but would really like to know how to do this. TIA
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTlanceK View Post
Can you please tell us how to install plug ins by exiting to desktop? I know its not preferred but would really like to know how to do this. TIA

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en209523
Old 11-02-2015, 11:54 PM

And if you are on S3L you have an extra step, when done you need to launch and go Venue software > plugins and after you have confirmed that the plugin you installed from desktop now appears under plugins available for install then you continue installing from there as normal on S3L. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...g-S3L-Plug-ins
Old 12-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Thanks Kristo!!!
Old 12-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTlanceK View Post
Thanks Kristo!!!
My pleasure! And if you end up with some nicely working plugins feel free to add their DSP usage to this little spreadsheet I made for us to have an idea of how much DSP plugins need and also what kind of latency they have.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Avid

Kristo, I just went through that google doc, and added in a ton more of the supported plugins, and organized it a bit (alphabetical, by manufacturer and by console). In my off time I can go through more of these and update the numbers.

If you wish to change the section I added to 'instances per card' rather than DSP percentage, feel free to take the percentage and turn it into instances per card: (1/0.XX%)*18=Instances Per HDX Card

for example 18% DSP usage would be this:
(1/0.18)*18=100 Instances Per HDX Card.

[email protected]
Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Kristo, I just went through that google doc, and added in a ton more of the supported plugins, and organized it a bit (alphabetical, by manufacturer and by console). In my off time I can go through more of these and update the numbers.

If you wish to change the section I added to 'instances per card' rather than DSP percentage, feel free to take the percentage and turn it into instances per card: (1/0.XX%)*18=Instances Per HDX Card

for example 18% DSP usage would be this:
(1/0.18)*18=100 Instances Per HDX Card.
Very nice Ryan, much appreciated!! Although I would assume many of us would rather like to have an idea of how many actual instances we can use instead of the % as % can sometimes fool us. And important would be not how many per CARD but how many per CHIP. As you know, on S3L we have very limited DSP available so every little counts. I can imagine DSP instances count having quite a little meaning once you are on the S6L with minimum setup having 18 chips, but with only 4 on S3L we really need to watch what we use and when to make it work :)

So what I have done is I have started adding a plugin of the same type in empty session keeping an eye on the DSP meter to see exactly when it "spills over" to another chip. That is how the plugin counts in the table are derived right now. And then having one of the instance up I'm adding another plugin to see if they occupy the same chip and share or take out another chip.

Thanks again Ryan!