Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 PM

Default 2GB Limit for PT on Mac?

I got error when use "Export region as file" or Bounce to disk and final file size exceed 2GB that always got "Attempt to position mark before start of file (-40)" in PT on Mac (i got PT HD3 7.4.2 and PT LE 7.4.2).

The question is that is this the limitation for PT on Mac OS? because i got PT on both PC and Mac platform and it work fine for PT on Windows.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 AM

Default Re: 2GB Limit for PT on Mac?

It must be a PT for Mac issue. I was just informed in a "Sneak Preview" of PT8 tonight that the 2GB limit has been raised to 4GB for PT8.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 11-14-2008, 02:53 AM

This was mainly a PT for WIN issue, because FAT filesystem only supported 2GB files some time ago. And because PT has been coded "OS agnostic" the same limitation has been hard-coded to Mac version as well. Despite Mac file systems being able to support larger files. Now that such Windows systems are not supported (that max at 2GB) they're lifting the limitation to 4GB. Don't blame Macintosh for this one, it's because FAT has sucked since day one.

That said; while having a 24bit and 44.1kHz session it takes several hours to reach the file size limit. It's not going to bother many people very often. But if you have a 24bit and 96kHz movie soundtrack you'd want to bounce all that three hours into one uncompressed master soundtrack, wouldn't you? Yes, that's the real-world limitation and it's going to go away soon.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

The question is that is this the limitation for PT on Mac OS? because i got PT on both PC and Mac platform and it work fine for PT on Windows.

Thanks
No, it's an ambiguity in the WAV/AIFF file spec - depends on how you interpret the sign bit in the DWORD for length in the header. ProTools has interpreted this as 2GB - some others (though not all) interpret it as 4GB. I guess as of PT8 Digi has decided to go with the flow and change it to 4GB. Has nothing to do with Mac OS.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex, OS 10.12.6, PT 2018 HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, Avid C24.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM

...My question is that is this the limitation for PT on Mac OS...not Mac OS itself or Windows file system.

As I told in 1st Post, I got both PT HD3 and LE on both PC and MAC. I can export or bounce for file larger than 2 GB with PT on PC but I can't do that with PT on MAC that the reason while I ask.

I saw many post about this WAV/AIFF limitation but i can do that on PC and even some MAC audio software can made WAV/AIFF larger than 2 GB.

Nothing to do with MAC OS or Windows file system anyway cause HFS+ and NTFS both pass that limitation (I don't use FAT or FAT32)

Thanks for your answers, glad to know that PT8 will fix this issue...i hope