Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-02-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Can't Access Newer Stock Plugins

Hey all,

All of a sudden I only have access to older versions of stock Pro Tools plugins (Dverb, Maxim, etc) with the old light grey GUI. I haven't made any major changes with my setup, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Any idea how I can go grab updated versions? I can't seem to find them on Avid's site. I'm running Pro Tools 10.3.9 on a 2012 Macbook Pro i7 with OS 10.8.5.

Thanks in advance,

C
Old 11-02-2020, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Can't Access Newer Stock Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblind View Post
Hey all,

All of a sudden I only have access to older versions of stock Pro Tools plugins (Dverb, Maxim, etc) with the old light grey GUI. I haven't made any major changes with my setup, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Any idea how I can go grab updated versions? I can't seem to find them on Avid's site. I'm running Pro Tools 10.3.9 on a 2012 Macbook Pro i7 with OS 10.8.5.

Thanks in advance,

C

Hi,

On HD systems the TDM ones are still grey and the Native ones are the darker skins. but you're running a native system so not sure why you're getting the old grey skins.

Didn't they start with 10.3.10 version? not sure as i mostly use TDM

Have you checked all plugins? are they all the grey ones?

Can't see how they would change without you changing the version.

Maybe try running the installer again

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:25 PM

I am guessing maybe there are old RTAS plugins installed and then the AAX plugins got deleted or Pro Tools messed up and the AAX plugins stop being seen and are replaced by old RTAS ones.

Obvious troubleshooting to do... check if the plugin files and directories are all there. Trash prefs and databases. Delete any unneeded RTAS plugins and confirm the AAX versions load.

An easy way I'd see this happening is recent AAX-64 only plugins get installed in Pro Tools 10... it won't load them and will instead load any equivalent old RTAS plugin. But that will not happen by itself.

Version numbers will give away the story and the recent version PT Prefs prints those out again. Or is easy to use file(1) to directly check for 64-bit only AAX plugins.

e.g. AAX-64 only Maxim:

$ cd /Library/Application\ Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins
$ file Maxim.aaxplugin/Contents/MacOS/Maxim
Maxim.aaxplugin/Contents/MacOS/Maxim: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-02-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it appears to be all Avid plugs that are showing the old skins. They're not in my AAX folder, but they're still in the DPM folder, so that kind of explains it. Not sure where the AAX versions went though. My other computer runs Native 10.3.7 and it has the darker skins, so they're at least that old.

I haven't trashed prefs and databases yet, but the AAX plugs are clearly missing and I can't seem to locate them on my laptop. The AAX-64 thing makes sense, but I haven't downloaded/installed any.

If I run the Pro Tools installer again do I need to reinstall all my other (non-Avid) plugs?

Thanks again,

C
Old 11-02-2020, 05:36 PM

Is the Plugin Folder there? Or there and totally empty, or there and just some specific plugins missing? Have plugins been moved to the Plug-ins (Unused) folder? If so the modify dates (using stat(1)) on those files may give you a clue of when the problem happened.

You are looking in /Library/Application\ Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins ?

It's easy to imagine scenarios where AAX-64 plugins get installed on top of your Pro Tools 10 systems (like you run an installer for a current version of Pro Tools, maybe just even start an installer by accident and then stop it) and then Pro Tools 10 throws up on them are moves them to the (Unused) folder.

IIRC Pro Tools 10 did not have the automagic plugin recovery feature... so you need to reinstall the Pro Tools 10 installer. That can only put back the default plugins. What else is in your plugin folder or you might need to reinstall we can only guess.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:50 PM

The plugins folder is there, and the rest of my AAX plugs are present, just not the stock Avid/Digi ones. I only have the older versions in the DPM plugs folder.

Yes, I looked in the directory you specified and these plugins are not in there, and the unused folder is empty. My laptop was running slowly so I did get rid of some stuff, but I wasn't ruthless about it so I'd be surprised if any of those plugins got trashed inadvertently.

Besides the stock Avid stuff, I've got the Soundtoys 5 bundle, a few Waves plugs, Fabfilter Pro Q, some Slate plugins, Valhalla verbs, and some Arturia soft synths. I should still have most of the install files for that stuff, but I guess I'd want to make sure before reinstalling Pro Tools, in case any of those companies no longer provide versions compatible with my system. That, or I just keep everything as-is, and deal with the older DPM versions of those Avid plugins.

Thanks,

C
Old 11-02-2020, 07:29 PM

Reinstalling Pro Tools won't trash third party plugins. But you better have all this backed up and ideally archives of any third party plugin installers especially ones you are worried about not being available now. Nobody here is going to go and check availability of plugins installers for you. That's your job.

Things usually don't just disappear. But now is the time to make sure you have good backups *from before* you had problems and don't go overwriting those backups now.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:28 PM

Reinstalled 10.3.9 and the plugins are back. So far so good.

Thanks again,

C