Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2001, 05:31 PM

Default Is this a possibility (vst4)

Hi, I am a fairly new user to pro tools and this may seem like a very silly question. But someone has told me that a version of cubase vst can work as a front end to my protools mix plus system. Is this true??. The reason being I am just so much better and faster with that sytem. I run my sytem with a mac g4, and have a couple of 888/24 interfaces. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Is this a possibility (vst4)

Steinberg made a busines decision last year to discontinue development for TDM. So you can use an older version of Cubase, but it would be a bit of a dead end for you. Might want to try using PT software or Logic.

Old 05-01-2001, 11:13 PM

thanks for the reply. But why would it be a bit of a dead end. Sorry to sound so niave, but for the music i do I propably don't need as much of the as advanced editing as You get with protools software. i am a bit of a cubase fan. Logic, I just can't get into it. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2001, 04:49 AM

If the older version of Cubase works for you and you like it I say go for it. I think Hans Zimmer is still using an old version of Cubase or at least was about a year or so ago. However, if you haven't, you should check out Digital Performer. I really like it for some reason. I actually have started using Pro Tools for sequencing some and its actually not as bad as I thought it was once I really tried.

Jason
Old 05-02-2001, 09:08 AM

Thanks Jason. Since my last posting I have found out that there is a version (VST24) TDM was useable with protools but all Ihave heard is bad reports about it. But if hans zimmer is using it then at least I know there is somebody out there using it. As for digital performer dealers have told me to try it out, But I really don't wish to learn another program at the moment. Perhaps my best option would be to give the midi in protools a try

Thanks again