Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 11-24-2000, 11:49 AM

Default computer shutdown

While using protools free, in the middle of a session the computer will restart by itself, and it only does it when using protools free. I have 192MB of ram on the computer so it's not a lack of ram.
Old 11-25-2000, 02:28 PM

Default Re: computer shutdown

The exact same thing happens to me. I am not sure why, I think it is a bug in the software. Here are my specs:

PIII 800mhz
256 MB Ram PC-133
ASUS P3V4X VIA Apollo 133A
Geforce GTS 2
Sound Blaster Live
Old 11-26-2000, 01:01 AM

It's a bug in the Via Apollo chipset. You need a BIOS update, and disable the on board sound in BIOS as well.

-Robotobon
Old 11-26-2000, 02:05 PM

No I disagree with that Robotron. First, I have the lastest BIOS update and there is no onboard audio. Secondly, my friend has a i820 motherboard and his computer restarts everytime he starts a project. I do not believe that it is specific to the chipset.

Thanks for the help

Omar
Old 11-26-2000, 03:05 PM

That's a very strange thing. So do you think it could be a RAM issue? I've heard similar stories as your regarding the i820 chipset.

The reason I suspected the BIOS is because I had installed an SBLive! on a friend's VIA based PC, and she had the reboot problem. After the BIOS update everything was fine.

Good luck to you
Try installing Quicktime, it worked wonders for me.
-Robotobon
Old 11-26-2000, 08:16 PM

I believe it is Sound Blaster Live related. Hopefully the new revision will fix this problem. It is supposed to fix crashes and speed problems. I do not believe that it is related to the RAM at all. If it is related the the RAM, it would only happen on one person, but the problem seems to duplicate itself on other systems. Also, if it was the RAM it would reboot in other places, not just Pro Tools.

Hope this info has been helpful

Omar Khalid

[This message has been edited by abomb316 (edited November 26, 2000).]
Old 11-27-2000, 02:31 AM

Hello,

We are trying to get in touch with PT FREE users that are seeing reboot problems (there have been about 5 independent reports of this issue, I believe).

We haven't seen these problems on our test systems, but we have a theory about the problem and we have a potential fix (to be included with "Release 2").

We hope to have some users test out our fix prior to posting Release 2 so that we're more confident of the solution.

If you are seeing this problem frequently, we urge you to post to this thread and provide your email address so we can contact directly.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign
Old 11-27-2000, 06:15 AM

Maybe you all at least got to try the free version once. I have NOT ONCE been able to get it too work.
this is what happens, the program almost loads to where i can see main window with the menus on top and the {digedesign} wallpaper, but the pointer just freezes and my computer is stuck. ctrl alt del wont even work. other times the whole thing just powers down and restarts. i really want to try out this program!!!!

I am a cubase user and it is pissing me off. the free version of protools is a very nice way to get my hands wet.
Old 11-27-2000, 08:52 AM

I also have sb live. It seems like everyone using sb live is having this problem. I hope also that the revision will fix this problem.
Old 11-27-2000, 11:03 AM

I am experiencing the same problem as nnengo hombre. I can't even launch PT Free, because it hangs just as it's loading, and then reboots. Like everyone else who seems to have this problem, I have a Soundblaster Live soundcard.