Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-18-2002, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Recording Violin!!!

It depends on the context of the recording... You'll get your best sound on the instrument by putting her in the largest room possible.

In any case, I'd use your condenser mic. Few dynamics sound very good on high string instruments. (On low strings, ie bass, you can sometimes get a decent result)

If you are recording solo music (like a Bach Partita), start with a pair of mics in an ORTF pickup or an x-y pickup. Put the mics a few feet away and place roughly at the hight of the instrument.

If you are talking solo as a part of a collection of tracks, you can use one microphone. Many people will place the microphone over top of the instrument, but I find that gives too "scratchy" of a sound. I place the mic off-axis of the instrument, usually in front but aiming straight to the side of the instrument. You still get a good tone, but none of the edge of the bow on the string...

--Ben
Old 12-18-2002, 01:37 PM

I would say:
Simply put your nt-1 a foot or so from the violin, pointing directly at the body of the instrument.
Listen for the relative levels between body sound and the sound of bow against string. and point the mic differently if you have too much "bow".

The nt-1 is very trebly. You will probably get a too trebly sound. Just use eq and comps to shape it. To soften too much highs is better than the other way around.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:40 PM

I agree that you should defintely use a condenser mic. If you really want a close mic'd sound without much room sound, I would suggest you try to get your hands on a small, clip-on condenser mic or a violin pickup. If you can't, then use your Rode NT, and try to get her into a good sounding room.

Good Luck!

PS - you can try sending an email to a former classmate of mine who has been recently recording a cello player using PTLE and the 001...you can ask him what he is using. His name is Fred Armand, and you can email him at [email protected] .
Old 12-19-2002, 12:42 AM

Default Recording Violin!!!

Hello thee everyone. I would like to record violin onto my tracks. My Girlfriend is great at violin, so that area is fine, but I would benefit greatly from some tips as to how to rcord it. I have a walkin closet for a iso-booth. I own a Rode NT1 and a Shure SM57. what do you think? There doesnt seem to be any posts on the DUC for a single violin. Thanks !
Old 12-19-2002, 05:53 AM

Although my experience is a small diaphram works best, I'd suggest trying both mics to see which one you like. I'd avoid the closet iso booth, you want some small room sound. I typically place the mic about 2 feet above the player, coming over the left shoulder, pointing roughly at the neck. tweak to taste.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:52 AM

thanks guys! I recorded her a bit in the closet iso booth with the NT1 about 6 inches from the body. I got a nice bassy sound. there actually weren't many highs in the sound like one of you suggested. It sounded pretty well. But I am excited to get home and try to record her in a bigger room. Ill let you know whats up thanks all
Old 12-19-2002, 02:31 PM

Violin is my main instrument both for playing and for recording, maybe I can share some experience.

1) Acoustics of the room is the key factor. Violin sounds and shines fully and beautifuly only in a reasonably big and resonant room or hall. Violin in a small dead room will not sound nice on a recording, even if you add tons of reverb, it will always tend to sound a bit sharp, thin and schratchy

2) Really full and colourful sound of violin can be reached by using a stereo matched pair of condensers (I use Schoeps MK4 or MK21), not only one mic (especially not a condenser emphasing higher frequencies), preferably in ORTF position (angle around 120 degrees, distance about 17 cm), at least 1 or 1,5 meters above the player, who is standing about one meter in front of the mics with the axis of the instrument paralel with connecting line between the two mics

Over the time I have struggled a lot with reaching some satisfactory sound (even Neumann U87 was not very good for it). But the above mentioned way somehow works.

Good luck,

Ivo
Old 12-20-2002, 08:56 AM

I just finished with some UIL tapes for a local HS string quartet here is what I learned:
1. ISO both no good
2. Close micing Cello good (API w/103 and 112)
3. Close micing Violin no good. I needed at least 24 inches with all 4 mics I tried (103,M300,81, and 57). The M300 won. 26-28 inches above the inst behind the player not pointing directly at the inst but more at the ground (carpet).
4. Realverb was the one that worked that day. Still sounded questionable but, the players loved it. I have since gotten Altiverb and opened these sessions to hear and well...you guessed it. Concertbougha or however you spell it was the setting that made me cry, get goosebumps and loose bladder control it was so beautiful. he.he.

If I were you..??
Use the Condenser. keep it back at least 2 ft. Move it a lot and find where it works the best. Use the biggest room you have. Since you have it, put the 57 in ther as well. Maybe as a room mic. Make sure you don't have a phase issue. If you still need reverb and I think you will if you have a small room. download everything you can and print the reverbs you like to additional tracks so you still have them when the demos time out.

D