Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Softube AAX plug ins seem to have a massive sale on

As do Brainworx/PI alliance.

They have full demos available. Just about everything is AAX DSP (though hungry)

Trying them again (tried them back in TDM land) Trident EQ seems pretty different from the usual pultec clones/emus though they have their own ones of those too. Spring verb can do nice Boiiiinnggs, TSR 1 seems pretty impressive.

I originally did this to try their bass amp room. Seems pretty decent. Anyone owned this PI for a while and advise how they've found it ?? Mini review kind of thing?

Cheers
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Softube AAX plug ins seem to have a massive sale on

My opinion is they are one of the best at what they do period! The tubetech is a necessity IMO. I really need to check out the summit channel.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Yeah I would love the summit grand channel

Tubetec is smooth it's like nothing is there at all
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Got the Grand Channel thru Audio Deluxe for $122.00
And yes, it kicks butt!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Has anybody compared the summit channel to the tube tech one? The tt is twice the price. The cl1b comp is brilliant and I have tried the hw summit comp irl. It was not great. Good. Not great.

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
Has anybody compared the summit channel to the tube tech one? The tt is twice the price. The cl1b comp is brilliant and I have tried the hw summit comp irl. It was not great. Good. Not great.
Yes. Alas, I am still too new at all of this to be offering proper impressions of either, but I will say this. I got up to speed with both units in no-time flat. maybe 3 extra minutes on the Tube Tech because I got two of the knobs' functionality backwards in my mind. (duh!)

I'd learned the feel of the Passive from the Native Instrument's Ultimate bundle. It has a Softube 'Passive. The Summit's mid-range and highs are so much more musical to my ears. I really get along with it better than the NI version. I was assured that they were completely different by someone at ST before I bought.

I got the two channel strips and 7 other titles. The 3-EQ pack, the 2 Reverb pack, Spring Reverb, Tube Delay, A-Range, Valley people Dynamite and the ToneLux Tilt pair. I still have not tried the EQ 3-Pak or the Spring Reverb.

I'm not convinced that I'm using the Dynamite in the proper manner, but everything else I've tried has been good. Even the Tube Delay, which I saw a couple of people speaking poorly of. It took a while to dial it in, but I really like what I ended up with.

All in all, I'm very pleased. They compliment the native Instruments plugs that came with Ultimate, the Pug & Mix 40-pack and of course, the stock Avid and AIR plugs. For a home hobbyist, I am set up mighty fine.

I am always so slack on these things, but I confess to not really trying any of the pre-sets. I need to start at least looking at them enough to answer the "how are the pre-sets?" question.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM

Thanks. I like the NI passive, so I might love the summit... Can you offer some initial gut feeling about how the tt and the summit strip differ? I can not demo right now. In the YouTube demos I have heard, the summit eq sounds more smooth. I have the cl1b comp (hardware and softube, actually) and that one is great. The pi does not give you the sound from the tubes and transformers of the hw, but the actual compression seems pretty close.

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 AM

My initial gut feeling on the difference is that I thought I was able to get more defined definition, energy, thump and clarity on the kick drum and the bass guitar. I felt like I had a bit more control. I the TT, I'm not sure what to do if I want to changes something. I do the twiddle and keep what works thing. having said that, we're really not talking about a lot of time difference.

I threw them into another in-progress project a couple days ago. I figured I was having more success with the Summit on the low end, so for learning purposes, I used the TT on my drum mix. It's working fine and natural. A little goes a long ways on the compressor as you're aware of. I think I need to determine a strategy for working with both of the EQs on top of the compressor. It's almost like I'm fighting something. also, I have not gotten the feel for the boosting and attenuating he same signal/frequency. My ears are obviously not telling me something that a professional could pick up.

What I eventually want to be able to say is "I use this channel for this and that channel to do that other thing". Until then, it's trials and coin flips'

I'm going to check out the differences between the two strips over the next week or so and hope to have a better report than "just sounds different".

I've also got to check out the 3-EQ pack, too. That's a third passive in the arsenal where I only need one probably. However, the focusing EQ sounds mighty interesting.

btw, using the Softube site actually had a higher total price early on than the Audio Deluxe site, but once I got to maybe the 4th or 5th item, it started going in favor of the ST site. After 9 titles, I think I was $50 ahead or something like that.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post

I'd learned the feel of the Passive from the Native Instrument's Ultimate bundle. It has a Softube 'Passive. The Summit's mid-range and highs are so much more musical to my ears. I really get along with it better than the NI version. I was assured that they were completely different by someone at ST before I bought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
Thanks. I like the NI passive, so I might love the summit... Can you offer some initial gut feeling about how the tt and the summit strip differ? I can not demo right now. In the YouTube demos I have heard, the summit eq sounds more smooth. I have the cl1b comp (hardware and softube, actually) and that one is great. The pi does not give you the sound from the tubes and transformers of the hw, but the actual compression seems pretty close.
The NI Passive is Softube's emulation of the Manley Massive Passive hardware eq and there's nothing like it in Softube's lineup. To compare the Passive to anything in the regular Softube line isn't a valid comparison. All it would give you is a feel for how Softube does it's programming and ease of use, nothing to do with sound as such.

QAPLA!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 AM

Many thanks. Good tip, there re the st site possible deals. I know what you mean with the pultec style boost/cut thing. I don't use it much either. Some folks swear by it. I tried the passive/active bundle out. I liked the passive eq the most. Had high hopes for the focusing eq, but it did not float my boat.

The summit eq seems more flexible than the others, anyway.

From the sound examples on the st site, the tube-tech eq seems to have more bite and migh even be a bit harsh. Or?

Phone +46707773443