Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2019, 02:24 AM

Default Pro Tools edit GUI is going to ruin my iMac

For the Attention of Avid:

This problem happens when Pro Tools is playing - and the GUI is present onscreen

Can you tell me WHY my fans keep activating and my computer blows out hot air out of the vents EVERYTIME PRO TOOLS IS PLAYING and the EDIT GUI window is visible on my iMac (i9 40GB RAM) screen. WHY?

I want to know why it is that: every time pro tools is playing and the Edit Window is visible on my brand-new iMac the back of my computer gets extremely hot and the fans start to blast hot air out of the vents?

Is this behaviour Normal?

I want you to answer this... Please!

Because I am getting the same problem again on my new iMac (i.e.: very noisy fans and heat 'blasting' from the back vents, EVERYTIME THE EDIT GUI IS PRESENT onscreen), additionally, THIS, is exactly the same kind of fault that I had constantly experienced on my previous i7 iMac. (and most probably destroyed it)

This reaction is VERY DESTRUCTIVE, hence my concern! The heat will damage the components!

* Is this a fault or;
* Am I doing something wrong;
* Is this normal?
* Do/have other people experience this as well?
* Why does the edit GUI window cause this?
* The edit GUI is basically a static image

Is this a fault?

This fault exists whereby, the presence of Pro Tools EDIT (GUI) window onscreen, contributes to the iMac generating heat on the back panel - which is also directly proportional in causing the fans to go into overdrive - and literally blasts hot air from the back vents!

When the edit GUI window is present onscreen - and pro tools is playing - this causes a problem...

When The GUI window is not onscreen - and pro tools is playing - the fans, noise and heat dissipate and diminish.

I want to know WHY - because this is causing me problems.

Nothing else makes my iMac behave this way. NOTHING!

So, why is this a problem on my brand-new i9 iMac with 40GB RAM?

I am extremely unhappy about this, especially since I have spent near on £5000 on my new iMac getting everything right - and the GUI looks like it is going to destroy my computer again.

Everytime, the pro tools GUI is present onscreen the fans - and heat go into overload. The heaviest graphical lifting pro tools does is drawing the visual representations of the waveforms in real time - and this is always automatically set to: No scrolling. Anyway, the the Pro Tools GUI is basically a static image - so hardly a concern for the GPU - in that respect - is it?

I want answers and a diagnosis to this, because I have spent a load of money and, I feel like pro tools will destroy my iMac. :'(

Sent to Avid

Last edited by jamesleonard; 11-28-2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: submitted the drafted complaint instead of final
Old 11-28-2019, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools edit GUI is going to ruin my iMac

btw, this very dangerous problem was happening on Mojave 10.14.6/Pro Tools 2019.10...

I have rolled back to Mojave 10.14.5/Pro Tools 2019.5... And there is no noise or fans blasting hot air. It works as it should.

I had it running with both: the Edit and Mix GUI visible on screen - on a continual loop for an hour
and with the internet on!!!

It works perfectly on: Mojave 10.14.5/Pro Tools 2019.5 ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY,

So what is it Avid?

Is it Mojave 10.14.6 or Pt 2019.6 or 2019.10

Mojave 10.14.6 and the point updates are an absolute cluster****

I'm staying here on: Mojave 10.14.5/Pro Tools 2019.5

I am not having Avid 'eff' my iMac up again

Happy Holidays

Last edited by jamesleonard; 11-28-2019 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Hello, Logic Pro X. :)
Old 11-28-2019, 01:49 PM

Does your current iMac have an ssd or spinner for system drive? My late 27 inch iMac that's in my profile had a 7200 rpm spinner and the heat from that is most of what killed the video card. That saga has been documented here and too long to go into here. I think that may be what actually killed your earlier iMac. Mine was the last one to have an internal optical drive.
And that old iMac had three fans in it and current models only have one fan so heating and fans running like a tornado are endemic to the design unfortunately.

Would never buy another iMac or even a laptop which is why I took a step backwards if you will when I got a replacement and went with a 2012 cheesegrater. Yeah I miss Thunderbolt but for what I'm doing for my clients and myself it suffices and gets the job done.

QAPLA!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Nah mate, I have Samsung X5 SSD (external)
Flash Storage (internal)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
Nah mate, I have Samsung X5 SSD (external)
Flash Storage (internal)

That’s an external drive. He’s asking about your system drive.

Are you booting and running your system from the external USB SSD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Are you booting and running your system from the external USB SSD?
Internal... always internal.

Thanks Happy Holidays...
Old 11-28-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Would never buy another iMac or even a laptop which is why I took a step backwards if you will when I got a replacement and went with a 2012 cheesegrater. Yeah I miss Thunderbolt but for what I'm doing for my clients and myself it suffices and gets the job done.
What are you on about?? Apple are a TRILLION dollar company (for a good reason, as well). They don't make poor products... How much is Avid worth??

Avid need to get with the program - or fade into obscurity.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
Internal... always internal.

Thanks Happy Holidays...

OK cool.

But, the question still remains, what is your internal drive on that iMac? SSD, HDD or Fusion Drive?

Old 11-28-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
OK cool.

But, the question still remains, what is your internal drive on that iMac? SSD, HDD or Fusion Drive?
You mean this : Device Name: APPLE SSD SM1024L
Old 11-28-2019, 04:32 PM

Correct.

So you’re running an internal SSD. Great.

I just clicked on your profile and I saw you’re running a 003. They’re not supported on Mojave. I’m surprised you got it to work. It totally bricked a new Mac Mini with Mojave that I was configuring for a friend.

Can you try running the PT session without the 003 attached and using the on board system audio. I know you said it worked with a prior iteration of Mojave, but it’s worth testing this kind of stuff.

Do any other audio apps cause this issue?