Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!

I've been using the machine in my sig as a hackintosh for over 2 years. I almost didn't try cause back then everyone here said hackintoshes were far too unstable to use with protools. I decided to do it anyway and much to my surprise ALL the issues I had with protools on windows disappeared when I installed OSX. ive been a happy camper since. Getting a new iMac when they get released since I'm tired of waiting for a new Mac pro
NEW Dverb 1024 - 283 64 - 235
Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM

This thread peaked my interests. I bought a refurbed Mac Pro back in April and since then have used my Windows 7 PC rarely.
So after reading this thread I decided to take that i7 920 PC and give it a whirl and I have to say that I was pretty impressed with how easy it was to get a stable system up and running. With all the info out there and files it took some searching but not that much.
I've been building PCs for 20 plus years and this 'Hackintosh' install seems to be running as reliably if not more so then a custom built Windows machine with 3.11 for Workgroups, Win95, Win98, Win XP, Windows 7.....you get the idea.

Not that I will replace my Mac Pro anytime soon, unless they come out with newer models with better hardware but it was nice to put an OS on a machine and not spend 2 days downloading updates!!!!

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 AM

Talking Re: Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!

I waited for Mountain Lion's release and Ivy Bridge support before pulling the trigger ... OH MY GOD - BECKY! ... Best thing I've ever done. This machine is absolutely wonderful!

GA-Z77X-UD5H • Intel Core i7 3770K • 16G RAM (2x8) Corsair Vengeance • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus • EVGA GeForce GT 640 2GB • Corsair TX750v2 Power Suppy • Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Silent Case • SyBa Firewire AddOn • Crucial M4 256G SSD • Seagate 3TB HDD • Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Already owned Mac wired KB, Wired Mouse, Dual displays

Currently using Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 via Firewire but now that I have a PCI slot I'm going to try my old MOTU 24io. I don't have the PCIe version, but I'm thinking that PCI should be faster than Firewire, right?

I've been running on an Early 2008 17" 2.6GHz Core2Duo 4G RAM MacBook Pro which performed fine for most of what I was doing. Some of the things I would notice sometimes were the meters in the mixer or the bars/beats stuttering but it didn't affect playback so I dealt with those issues.

When I got a large session I'd have to do a lot of mixing down into stems to be able to use all the processing that I wanted. NOT ANYMORE!

My Playback Engine H/W Buffer size has been on 1024 samples since forever and when I would try 512, or 256 the CPU usage would bump greatly and the playback would start to crackle and pop eventually leading to a Pro Tools error that the disk couldn't keep up or that I had too many plugins/etc.

I tried playing the Audrye Sessions - Turn Me Off session at 32 Samples and CPU was 21% - No pops or clicks. In fact, I'm typing this entry while it is playing using Firefox ... Disk goes from 1-3% ...

Now I need some guinea pigs to see how low I can get the latency during tracking and maybe Input Monitoring woes are a thing of the past for me?

If you're technically inclined or can read and comprehend, this is a no brainer.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Hi Mate,

I'm looking to build a PT10 rig with a CustoMac system based on TonyMacx86. I see most of the specs yoou have are from the new 2012 buyers guide. The motherboard you have seems to have on-board firewire, what was the need to get an add-on syba card?

Cheers

Willo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
I waited for Mountain Lion's release and Ivy Bridge support before pulling the trigger ... OH MY GOD - BECKY! ... Best thing I've ever done. This machine is absolutely wonderful!

GA-Z77X-UD5H • Intel Core i7 3770K • 16G RAM (2x8) Corsair Vengeance • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus • EVGA GeForce GT 640 2GB • Corsair TX750v2 Power Suppy • Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Silent Case • SyBa Firewire AddOn • Crucial M4 256G SSD • Seagate 3TB HDD • Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Already owned Mac wired KB, Wired Mouse, Dual displays

Currently using Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 via Firewire but now that I have a PCI slot I'm going to try my old MOTU 24io. I don't have the PCIe version, but I'm thinking that PCI should be faster than Firewire, right?

I've been running on an Early 2008 17" 2.6GHz Core2Duo 4G RAM MacBook Pro which performed fine for most of what I was doing. Some of the things I would notice sometimes were the meters in the mixer or the bars/beats stuttering but it didn't affect playback so I dealt with those issues.

When I got a large session I'd have to do a lot of mixing down into stems to be able to use all the processing that I wanted. NOT ANYMORE!

My Playback Engine H/W Buffer size has been on 1024 samples since forever and when I would try 512, or 256 the CPU usage would bump greatly and the playback would start to crackle and pop eventually leading to a Pro Tools error that the disk couldn't keep up or that I had too many plugins/etc.

I tried playing the Audrye Sessions - Turn Me Off session at 32 Samples and CPU was 21% - No pops or clicks. In fact, I'm typing this entry while it is playing using Firefox ... Disk goes from 1-3% ...

Now I need some guinea pigs to see how low I can get the latency during tracking and maybe Input Monitoring woes are a thing of the past for me?

If you're technically inclined or can read and comprehend, this is a no brainer.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post

Wombat, would you mind sharing the info of what it cost to put this together?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willosy View Post
Hi Mate,

I'm looking to build a PT10 rig with a CustoMac system based on TonyMacx86. I see most of the specs yoou have are from the new 2012 buyers guide. The motherboard you have seems to have on-board firewire, what was the need to get an add-on syba card?

Cheers

Willo
Because a lot of on-board FW controllers are not up to spec for audio, or do not have the proper chipset.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 PM

This thread is of interest to me. I attempted a hacintosh build when I first built my i7 rig but it wasn't fully osx dedicated as I was just messing around for fun. I ran into an issue at the time with PT recognizing my ilok 2 and couldn't be bothered dealing with it at the time so just went back to using W7. I've since read that it could be something to do with the network settings? Can anyone on here confirm this?

I'm pretty keen to give it another go though. Looking at getting myself an SSD boot drive and then making it a dedicated osx based system and see how I go.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remis View Post
This thread is of interest to me. I attempted a hacintosh build when I first built my i7 rig but it wasn't fully osx dedicated as I was just messing around for fun. I ran into an issue at the time with PT recognizing my ilok 2 and couldn't be bothered dealing with it at the time so just went back to using W7. I've since read that it could be something to do with the network settings? Can anyone on here confirm this?

I'm pretty keen to give it another go though. Looking at getting myself an SSD boot drive and then making it a dedicated osx based system and see how I go.

Hmm... I have both iLoks 1 and 2 running on my system and never had any problems. I do recall some time back that a few users on both sides of the fence having problems with iLok 2s when they were new. Perhaps it was a driver issue that has been sorted recently.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Hmm... I have both iLoks 1 and 2 running on my system and never had any problems. I do recall some time back that a few users on both sides of the fence having problems with iLok 2s when they were new. Perhaps it was a driver issue that has been sorted recently.
Yeah, hopefully it'll all work nicely this time. Have to move house over the next few weeks so might be a little while before I get the chance to get it all up and running, but will post back my findings once I get round to it.

PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Same here, I've mixed them in most every possible way with no problems.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com