Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 02:23 AM

Default isolating audio is for me

Dear People,
I would like to know how to isolate sounds from within an audio region. example: if I recorded my drum kit with one mic in the room, therefore it comes up on one track. Ok now I want to seperate each sound ie. bass kick, snare hi hat etc etc. and have them as seperate audio regions in my audio list.
Then I can slot them back in using the grid to snap them to whatever note timing I'd like( because i'm a crap drummer). Who can answer this question ?
essentially I guess I'm looking for a function which will cut the audio up into seperate sections based on when there is a, what do you say, peak? in the track.
Thanx folks
RUDEBOY
Old 08-29-2001, 04:57 AM

Default Re: isolating audio is for me

You're looking at using programs such as Logic Audio (Strip Silence function in the sample edit window) or Steinberg ReCycle.

Both programs will slice your audio file into pieces corresponding to peaks and silences, but they can't separate any sounds that occur together. Once it's mixed it's mixed and no computer can separate sounds that are on the same audio file at the same time.

I use the Strip Silence function all the time in Logic Audio and it's awesome what you can do with that.

6am eternal
Old 08-29-2001, 06:23 AM

Default Re: isolating audio is for me

You are dreaming. Strip silence works great for trimming out bleed from other parts of the kit between trancients of the primary piece being miced and I use it all the time for that purpose, but if you used one mic there is no way to separate the different parts of the kit unless no two parts of the kit where being played at the same time.