Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Disappointed with PT 9

I ditched PT along with my BLA 002R hardware early last year from sheer frustration of not getting a stable system after years of actively trying to. Moved to REAPER, things are much more stable and also perform much better.

When news of PT9 dropped a couple months ago, I was thinking, too late AVID, Cockos' REAPER fits like a glove.

What has changed? Well, I had a small editing gig come by my way, unfortunately, it required PT. I could foresee more gigs missed, so I felt it was the smart thing to do to at least have a copy in my studio.

I figured, hey, PT9 is going to let me use my RME HDSPe(AES) card, should be a relatively pain-free acquisition.

Oh boy.. the pain and suffering has returned.

Here's a quick and dirty laundry list of disappointments.

1) Still 32-bit, I guess I can't use my 12GB of RAM.
2) Start up time is ridiculous, do we really have to rescan our plugs on every launch? We have no choice in the matter?
3) Can't change buffer playback without restarting PT? Wouldn't be too much of a hassle, but look at #2.
4) Still buggy, I'm facing the infamous Play/Pause (session doesn't play) bug. To fix it, I have to fiddle around with settings, and there is no sure-fire change this setting to make it work; It's different every time almost.
5) Sometimes my session plays, meters are lit up, but no audio. The fix? To go into my I/O, click and drag my outputs to different channel, then put them back again.
6) Incredibly slow, can't move plugs around or add plugs while session is playing.

Seriously AVID....

It's really shocking after using REAPER for a year... I can't believe the contrast. It's blinding.

I was expecting along with the new(not really) features, stability and bug fixes would come along as well. I'm afraid not.

Anyone else experiencing the disappointments and regrets with upgrading to PT9?

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Disappointed with PT 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Nope, it's just you.
Seriously though everyone has different needs, maybe for you Reaper or something else is more suitable, for many Pro Tools is the best for various different reasons, I believe main often being it's great audio editor, is available in most studios and has awesome control surfaces, interfaces are not bad either.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Yea different needs but basically the same dozen or so bugs and problems. Has anyone seen the 9 forums,,, ate the f up with same ol' crap and a couple of new turds. Oh and the cs update needed and update ,,,,,, funny as crap.

Dont you think

You know of the 8 or so people locally that use it we all take bets pretty regular, if the next cs will actually address real issues, if it will work and what new probs will result from the cs fix. Then we usually watch the forums for a few months and when the smoke clears start updating. But this time i even went against my usuall mode of operation and tried it first go.

You know what ,,,,,,,,,,,got burned again.

No surprise

In a few weeks, months, what ever it may be reliable, or it will wont and ive then got all the versions of 8 cobbled together and nothing changes.

Might run fine,,, might not.

The forums are mainly fullllllllllllll of satisfied customer right. Click "New Posts" and see Hmmmmmmmmmm.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis6406 View Post
The forums are mainly fullllllllllllll of satisfied customer right. Click "New Posts" and see Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Who said the forum is mainly full of satisfied customers?

If that were true... there would be no need for this forum, and it would just be a bunch of people patting themselves on the back.

This is a support forum where people come looking for help for issues, and the people who are happy with their setups help those in need. If you don't give us details as to what your system is and exactly what's wrong... we can't help you.

There are some identified issues, but the majority of problems that come here are user error.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
It's really shocking after using REAPER for a year... I can't believe the contrast. It's blinding.

I was expecting along with the new(not really) features, stability and bug fixes would come along as well. I'm afraid not.

While I totally agree with you regarding Reaper, Dism is 100% correct. And to add to what he said, and I use to do this, some of us quite naturally but unfairly want PT to behave like other DAWs. Kenny Gioia's Groove 3 Reaper tutorial got me up to speed on it. It is truly a model DAW that also handles my virtual instruments with speed and efficiency, almost like working on a text document. I just finished a thread on my VI woes in PT9. Turned out my Sandra is fine, but unlike Reaper PT is only 32bit and on top of that needs a monster CPU to work like I wanna work in it with VI's like Structure. On the flip side, I can't mix without PT and it handles monster mix sessions fine with my Waves bundles. So while I love Reaper, I love PT just as much.

I'd take a wild guess that subconsciously you posted this thread because you really like PT9 and want it to work for you . Your best bet is to submit a Sandra and go from there.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
1) Still 32-bit, I guess I can't use my 12GB of RAM.
Sure you can using rewire, but I've yet to need more RAM than is available in ProTools alone.

Quote:
2) Start up time is ridiculous, do we really have to rescan our plugs on every launch? We have no choice in the matter?
Mine takes about 25 seconds to launch, and I have a ton of plugs. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Quote:
3) Can't change buffer playback without restarting PT? Wouldn't be too much of a hassle, but look at #2.
Not true - I change the playback buffers all the time without restarting.

Quote:
4) Still buggy, I'm facing the infamous Play/Pause (session doesn't play) bug. To fix it, I have to fiddle around with settings, and there is no sure-fire change this setting to make it work; It's different every time almost.
Sounds like you have some optimization/compatibility issues. I haven't had that problem at all with PT9.

Quote:
5) Sometimes my session plays, meters are lit up, but no audio. The fix? To go into my I/O, click and drag my outputs to different channel, then put them back again.
Again, sounds like optimization/compatibility issue. Post a SANDRA if you'd like help, and make sure you go through the Troubleshooting thread.

Quote:
6) Incredibly slow, can't move plugs around or add plugs while session is playing.
I don't have those issues at all. There's definitely something wrong with your rig.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Sure you can using rewire, but I've yet to need more RAM than is available in ProTools alone.
I've heard this before regarding 32bit PT and RAM. I think it should be fairly noted that Native Instruments' NY Grand, Vintage Organ and Abbey Road Drums, Spectrasonic's Trilian Studio Bass, and a few patches from Structure (a simple production session) can easily eat up 3-4 Gig's of RAM. VI's and DAW's are 64bit now for this reason. You just can't defend 32bit anymore, unless of course all you do is record and mix in Pro Tools or use Xpand and Hybrid.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 PM

running Mac Pro and 9 here............SOLID......

Dog
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
I've heard this before regarding 32bit PT and RAM. I think it should be fairly noted that Native Instruments' NY Grand, Vintage Organ and Abbey Road Drums, Spectrasonic's Trilian Studio Bass, and a few patches from Structure (a simple production session) can easily eat up 3-4 Gig's of RAM. VI's and DAW's are 64bit now for this reason. You just can't defend 32bit anymore, unless of course all you do is record and mix in Pro Tools or use Xpand and Hybrid.
Yeah I'm not defending it, I want 64-bit ProTools just as much as anyone. I'm just saying that personally ProTools being 32-bit hasn't limited my workflow as of yet. I actually have Abbey Road 60's drums and use it with no major issues but this gets into the main problem I have with PT9 which is crashes when editing MIDI. I think it's more a driver issue than anything because the driver craps out when PT crashes. I don't like to have a lot of VI's open all at once anyway so I usually print them to tracks.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Yeah I'm not defending it, I want 64-bit ProTools just as much as anyone. I'm just saying that personally ProTools being 32-bit hasn't limited my workflow as of yet. I actually have Abbey Road 60's drums and use it with no major issues but this gets into the main problem I have with PT9 which is crashes when editing MIDI. I think it's more a driver issue than anything because the driver craps out when PT crashes. I don't like to have a lot of VI's open all at once anyway so I usually print them to tracks.
Apologies for using "defend". I see your point. Having several VI's open at once until mixdown is very common for me because of constant changes close to the deadline, making more RAM very important to me. I offered another angle regarding the PT 32bit RAM limit.