Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Default PT 9 ate my automation!

Hi

I just encountered the strangest problem. I was doing fixes on mixes from earlier this week with a client, and when we opened the sessions, the automation data was GONE! We compared to the bounces, and we could clearly hear that there was auto on the bounced 2tracks, no noise in start and endings etc... It seems like pro tools forgot to read the auto data in the .ptf. All other data is present, plugs, fades, aswell as the timeline selection from when bouncing.

I tried it all, restart, trash digi (avid) prefs, databases, repair disk permissions, still same problem.

When I open a session where the timeline selection from bouncing is still there, all my faders sit at -inf, as they were when there was auto. BUT, the auto lanes, all sit straight, no breakpoints, and at random levels. As soon as I hit play, faders go to where the auto lane is. It seems that some of the session data containing auto is damaged, but some is still there, as the faders "start" on the right levels.

I also tried to restore backup session file, same problem there. Aswell as opening the .ptf on different versions of PT on different computers...

VERY embarrassing, since the client was sitting next to me, ready to do the final auto fixes, before final bounce... Now 3 hours later with trobleshooting and no solution yet, Im pulling my hair...

Anyone here ever experienced this??

regards

August

(PT 9.0, iMac 27 i7, 8GB ram, 10.6.4)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM

Default Re: PT 9 ate my automation!

Some screendumps:
Session just opened, faders NOT corresponding to auto lane: (eg traces of lost automation?) Why?!
http://tinypic.com/r/vy2tt0/7
After hitting play, faders reading auto (as they are supposed to)
http://tinypic.com/r/zn0fi8/7

UPDATE:

Allright, I think AVID might have a problem here, seems like a bug, affecting automation happening late in long sessions

After testing over and over, I have come to the conclusion that no automation written after 373 minutes will be saved!(88.2khz session, later at lower sample rates) It is possible to write,and read automation, but as soon as you hit 'save', close and re-open the session, auto-data is goooone... Disaster imho.

This means that I lost 1 full day of mix work for a client... How do I address this to AVID? Is there a way of reporting bugs direct to AVID? I don´t feel like spending 40 bucks on getting a Avid Support Code for telling them about bugs in their software...

Cheers
Old 02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Avid

I think you're hitting up against the maximum session length, which is 12 hours and 25 minutes at 48k and proportionally shorter at higher sample rates.

In your 88.2k session, what is the start and end times of the Edit window?

This from the Pro Tools Reference Guide:

Quote:
Edit Window Default Length
Pro Tools lets you set a default length for the Edit window in hours, minutes, seconds, and frames. This is useful if you want to assemble a session of a particular length or leave extra room to expand the Edit window’s work area in your session. The maximum length is 12 hours and 25 seconds at 48 kHz, and proportionally less at higher sampling rates. For best scrollbar sensitivity, set the length to slightly longer (a minute or more) than the total session or song length.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 PM

Seriously.......a session longer than 373 minutes........................??

Dog
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP