Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Default iLok2 for Pro Tools 10? Why??

We are trying to upgrade from ProTools 9 to 10 on 14 computers. Since we just bought PT10, we have been given a free upgrade to 11 when it comes out--which we actually don't want, at least not for a while.
Apparently, PT11 requires an iLok2, even though PT10 doesn't. However, iLok License Manager is insisting that we are installing a "PT11 bundle" which contains both PT10 and PT11, and will not let us just install PT10 on our iLoks. However, to install PT11 we need to get iLok2s on every machine.
So it seems that we need to replace all 14 iLoks, to run software we don't even want.
Is there a way to "unbundle" PT10 and PT11 so we can run the software we want without spending an extra $700?

Last edited by Lehrman; 06-18-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: missed a sentence
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Default Re: iLok2 for Pro Tools 10? Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehrman View Post
We are trying to upgrade from ProTools 9 to 10 on 14 computers. Since we just bought PT10, we have been given a free upgrade to 11 when it comes out--which we actually don't want, at least not for a while.
Apparently, PT11 requires an iLok2, even though PT10 doesn't. However, iLok License Manager is insisting that we are installing a "PT11 bundle" which contains both PT10 and PT11, and will not let us just install PT10 on our iLoks. However, to install PT11 we need to get iLok2s on every machine.
So it seems that we need to replace all 14 iLoks, to run software we don't even want.
Is there a way to "unbundle" PT10 and PT11 so we can run the software we want without spending an extra $700?
Hi,

You can still download the bundle onto an ilok 1 and PT10 will run fine. the only time you'll need an ilok 2 is when you want to run PT11.

So carry on as you were using ilok 1 until you need to go to PT11 then you'll have to purchase ilok 2.

Ilok 2 is needed for higher security! this is the reason many vendors are using ilok 2 only. Ask Slate digital what happened when they used ilok 1

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid the bundles cannot be broken.

But you could consider that 700 bucks well spent because compared to 1st gen the new ilok keys are close to impossible to break. I have broken at least a dozen 1st gen keys and was always worried about those plastic things when I was on the road. With the new ones no worries.

Imagine how much it would cost to break one of the iloks which has plenty of licenses loaded...
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Also,

I think those keys can be bought for discount if you buy many at once. I don't know if +10 is many but it's worth asking.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Also,

I think those keys can be bought for discount if you buy many at once. I don't know if +10 is many but it's worth asking.
I've asked, you need at least 50 for a discount

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

You can still download the bundle onto an ilok 1 and PT10 will run fine. the only time you'll need an ilok 2 is when you want to run PT11.

So carry on as you were using ilok 1 until you need to go to PT11 then you'll have to purchase ilok 2.

Ilok 2 is needed for higher security! this is the reason many vendors are using ilok 2 only. Ask Slate digital what happened when they used ilok 1

Chris
Ummmm...no.

I can't download the bundle onto an iLok 1. If I could, I wouldn't have wasted three hours in the lab this morning and posted this message. When I try to move the bundle to an iLok1, I get a message saying I need an iLok2.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I'm afraid the bundles cannot be broken.

But you could consider that 700 bucks well spent because compared to 1st gen the new ilok keys are close to impossible to break. I have broken at least a dozen 1st gen keys and was always worried about those plastic things when I was on the road. With the new ones no worries.

Imagine how much it would cost to break one of the iloks which has plenty of licenses loaded...
Since these are tied to machines in a lab (literally, with wire ties) and never moved, breakage is not really an issue. I've owned about 30 of these suckers over the years and never broken one. I'm sure the new ones are sleek and wonderful and all that, but if I needed to buy them when I upgraded the software, someone needed to mention that so I could have budgeted for it. As it is I now have several thousand dollars of useless software.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I've asked, you need at least 50 for a discount
Ask someone else than iLok, for example altomusic.com or sweetwater.com or audiodeluxe.com or if you know someone personally at any plugin company. I think someone will make you a nice deal.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Since these are tied to machines in a lab (literally, with wire ties) and never moved, breakage is not really an issue. I've owned about 30 of these suckers over the years and never broken one. I'm sure the new ones are sleek and wonderful and all that, but if I needed to buy them when I upgraded the software, someone needed to mention that so I could have budgeted for it. As it is I now have several thousand dollars of useless software.
Have you already noticed that many plugin vendors require iLok2, haven't you?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Well I just went from 9 to a 10/11 upgrade and could not run 10 on an ILOK Gen 1 probably because of the 11 Bundle.

Bought an ILOK Gen 2, stuck it in along side the ILOK Gen 1, started the new ILOK desktop app, did a drag and drop from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2, and pulled the Gen 1.

Fired up 10.3.5 and it load perfectly. Found all my old plugs and locations including STRIKE! Kits, etc.

Running everything on a Dell PowerEdge 840 Server, NVIDEA Dual Vid Card, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, 8GB RAM, 2 @ 2TB SATA Drives and a Quad Core XEON processor with a Delta 66 Interface (Guitar Player).

Threw an old tune with 32 tacks of mixed stuff at it; Audio, Instrument & Midi...

Running like clockwork and exceptionally clean.

VERY Happy!

Patrick

PS...patiently waiting on 11.