Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Default Pro Tools 5.1.3cs7 & 5.3.1cs2 — Control Surfaces Fix

Pro Tools 5.1.3cs7 & 5.3.1cs2 both contain the same fix relating to control surfaces only.

For Pro Tools|HD systems, download and information:

http://www.digidesign.com/download/cs/531cs2/

For Pro Tools|24 & MIX systems, download and information:

http://www.digidesign.com/download/cs/513cs7/

(also linked from the Pro Tools section in Support/Downloads)

What's Fixed in Pro Tools 5.3.1cs2?

Fixed: Potential Crash when Starting Playback while Changing Parameter Values via Control Surfaces

When entering playback, while simultaneously modifying parameter values via a compatible control surface, Pro Tools may crash if one or more tracks are record enabled.

Regards,
Digi Pro Tools Team
Old 07-16-2003, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 5.1.3cs7 & 5.3.1cs2 — Control Surfaces Fix

quote: "Fixed: Potential Crash when Starting Playback while Changing Parameter Values via Control Surfaces.
When entering playback, while simultaneously modifying parameter values via a compatible control surface, Pro Tools may crash if one or more tracks are record enabled."

The crash/freeze that I experience on a regular basis happens even when no tracks are in record and not only when first entering play mode. It does indeed seem related to changing parameters (especially moving a fader) on the PC. BTW, it also happens w/ or w/o having a movie online, and w/ or w/o being in t.c. chase or t.c. generate modes. This freeze requires restarting the G4, and happens about once during an 8 hour session (usually when the director and producer are sitting behind me...hmmm). I'm currently designing a new room for film/t.v. mixing and seriously considering going with a DM2000 solely due to this one major PC bug.

Anyone else have the same type of PC crash? Before I download the software update, does Digidesign's fix truly banish the freezes? Or should I just wait til I switch to v.6.x
Old 07-16-2003, 08:44 PM

Yes, my ProControl incurrs the same Freezing Problems. It happens about once a day.

I think that I have narrowed down the cause to... trying to do make the ProControl do to many things all at the sametime ie--hitting play and turning the Pan knob and pressing the TB footswitch at the sametime OR some other strange combination.

But I do know that it does have something to do with hitting the Play button while initiating some other control simutaneously.

No, I have not downloaded the potential upgrade fix yet. Though I will tomorrow.

G4 867 single processor
OS 9.2
PT HD 5.3.1
Old 07-20-2003, 02:10 PM

Peter Carlstedt
Member # 10423 posted July 16, 2003 01:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SNIP
This freeze requires restarting the G4, and happens about once during an 8 hour session (usually when the director and producer are sitting behind me...hmmm). I'm currently designing a new room for film/t.v. mixing and seriously considering going with a DM2000 solely due to this one major PC bug.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">dr.sound replies:
Peter,
You can't be serious that you would design a Film/TV room around the Yamaha 20000 for just 1 bug that happens once a day and takes you down for 5 minutes! It would take a hell of a lot than that to go to the Yamaha for me. You would dealing with a completly seperate unit that has it's own limitations and automation data and faders with poor resolution. Add to that the costs. No thanks! I guess to each his own.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:28 AM

Marti, your point is well taken and I don't mean to sound like a whiner. Still, I really don't think it's too much to ask of Digidesign that we be able to grab a fader for more than 3 seconds without the system crashing, no matter how inexpensive the product. Keep in mind that I was planning on using the Yamaha more as a HUI, and perhaps as a monitor matrix...not really interested in all of it's other bells and whistles. As I understand it, it's about the same price as a basic ProControl setup so it seemed like a possible alternative. Of course for those with a serious budget, it's still hard to beat a dedicated console designed for film post, but alas, this project can't quite afford a Euphonix or a Neve. Having said that, the one thing I do love about mixing within the ProTools environment is absolutely everything is automated, and easily conformable.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:34 AM

engineerjoel, let me know if that patch works. BTW, in my situation, it will freeze up even if I'm moving just one fader. I have tried changind the automation data "density" (or whatever that parameter is called..."thinning" I think) and still it crashes.

G4 867 mhz single processor, PT mix plus, v.5.1.1