Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-31-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Best way to record guitar into protools?

Hi there,

I was just woundering what would be the best way to record my guitar into protools. I have a semi acoustic, but will i plug it straight into protols or will i use my condenser mic along with my guitar plugged directly into the M-box. I was told i should use the condenser mic along with the guitar being plugged into the M-box. So i was just woundering if any one had any ideas as to what would sound best.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Best way to record guitar into protools?

I prefer a mic'ed sound, but you could record the mic and the guitar out to separate tracks. You can choose to blend the two. Why don't you see what it sounds like and decide what you like the best?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:40 AM

THANKS FOR THE BIT OF ADVICE YOUR RIGHT I'LL JUST HAVE TO TRY OUT DIFFERENT WAYS AND SEE WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE
Old 04-01-2006, 01:16 PM

I use a stereo condensor mic on accoustic guitars as I like the ambient sound and the stereo movement, which you will not get DI-ing though you will get a nice full sound. The best thing is to, as is said earlier, is just mess until you find that sound that you prefer and like. Nothing is wrong as it is all down to personal taste.

As Sir George Martin said "The Boys (the beatles) would come in and say we want to do this..talking about some weird sound wanted on the Sgt Peppers album..I had no idea what to do to achive what they wanted so we just experimented using headphones as mic's cutting the tape and reversiing it, chucking it in the air and putting it back together again...

If it's good enough for "the best" (IMO) record producer to learn that way, I am sure going to give it a go as well. Good luck with your projects