Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2002, 09:23 AM

Default Who uses a Finalizer...?

I’ve seen it said that if you have good plugins you don’t need one, but since I like to run my mastering plugs on my main session, I thought this might be a way to get back the huge CPU power they drain me of.

Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2002, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Who uses a Finalizer...?

Bmac,

I've always had great CPU resource success bouncing a multi track session to disk WITHOUT any mastering plugs on the master fader. I then open up a NEW session, solely for mastering. I import the L/R bounced session into the new session. Now I have only 3 strips: Audio L, Audio R, and Master fader. I then apply my mastering plugs to the master fader, take a lightpipe out of the 001 into lightpipe in on my convertor (the "mighty RME ADI-8 Pro), then analog out of the RME to analog in on a standalone HHB Burnit CD recorder...HEAVEN!

'OL 88 (DEAN)
Old 07-30-2002, 10:57 AM

Hey Dean,

That's how I use to do it, but once I apply the master plugs, they always seem to change things just enough that I want to re-tweak some things in the mix. I personally prefer to get some master plugs up early on and tweak to them - so to speak.

The Waves 3.5 update has helped out lot, but it would be nice to have all the avail CPU for the mix - hence my inquiry about the Finalizer.

Running the main session through the Finalizer and into the HHB could be a very cool set-up too.

BTW: Do you forget your password, or just like to always have the highest user number... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 11:12 AM

another idea is to take your 24bit to an Alesis Masterlink and run that back thru a sweet stereo tube pre with some rca 5751's ot AT7's. i've heard it brought back in 16 bit and 24 bit files and both sound pretty sweet!
Old 07-30-2002, 03:56 PM

Another angle is how does it affect you work?
Limitations are not always bad.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:46 PM

People are avoiding using the name of THE FINALIZER like it was satan.

Many of the "big guys" use it and as a matter of fact run it on all the time while mixing.

And if the IRS is good to me I may buy one next year. But after a Nuemann (however it's spelled) and a focusrite and...oh I give up!!

How about the FINALIZER vs. Soundforge (which I have).

Please some helpful input.

Old Timer.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:56 PM

In searching around a little...

The general opinions seem to be that the Finalizer's eq is not that great, but the comp and limiter are quite good. Overall, the sound is said to be a little "edgy".

The Drawmer Masterflow (sounds like the name of a toilet) has received good marks compared to the Finalizer...more open sound, very musical EQ, etc.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:06 PM

I've also heard many positive reports on the DBX Quantum (now version #2).

Bmac,

I moved my main CPU to a new studio space, away from home. I'm now on a crap-top and yes, damnit, I forgot my password. Big PITA!

I believe all the gear mentioned will do the job nicely, but it'll take a good set of ears to coax satisfying results form any of these. Gee, all those mastering engineers in their expensive facilities must absolutely cringe at all this kind of thing. Must be similar to how you drummers felt when drum machines hit...

I agree about the tweaking with the mastering plugs in place...Audiosuite your finished tracks where possible, choose the 512 buffer setting, consolidate regions and dispose of the unwanted clutter, use the Finalizer funds towards a faster CPU, and 100 other tips I'vew learned and successfully used from here on these forums.

Lets go Mets!