Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 08:43 PM

Default Mbox is Awkward.

I love this thing so far, but I can't get used to the 'input/playback' knob situation. I don't understand why there isn't an overall Volume control. I am using the Master fader in PT to do this but its not optimal. Also, when I want to track with a mic using headphones I ave to turn my speakers off. That is very annoying! Anybody have any tips regarding this stuff? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2002, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Mbox is Awkward.

and another thing...
What ever is connected to the input is ALWAYS heard in the output. Unless the 'mix' knob is cranked all the way over to the playback side which would be deafeningly lowd. example: I track a guitar via a Pod goiing into input 1. With the 'mix' knob I am able to adjust the level of the guitar in relation to the PT playback. This is great for overcoming latency issues. BUT ... After I am done recording my guitar signal is still coming through the mix output! I have to unplug the pod so that I am not hearing my idle guitar buzzing away. Am I missing some technique that would avoid this messy scenario? hmmm,,, [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2002, 03:18 AM

>"Where can I get one?"

Yuterri, it sounds to me like you found the Mbox (for purchase) in less than 1 day amazing [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] without having to order...very strange

>"I love this thing so far"

I think anyone would, if they could just "walk-in" off the street & purchase it so quickly...w/o going thru some monster company...

>"What ever is connected to the input is ALWAYS heard in the output. Unless the mix' knob is cranked all the way over to the playback side which would be deafeningly lowd.."

ALTHOUGH MINE HAS NOT YET ARRIVED, on page 14, Getting Started with Mbox, it states:

"To listen to just the Source input signal, turn the Mix knob fully left to Input. To listen to Pro Tools output only, turn the Mix knob fully right to Playback."

Old 03-08-2002, 07:31 AM

I get what your saying. The way the mix pot works is awkward because you may have a certain level you would like the background tracks to be at but in order to hear what your input is that level is decreased.

Hopefully you'll get used to it.

Carl
Old 03-08-2002, 08:44 AM

Does the headphone pot determine the output for the main outputs as well as phones? If so, I don't see your problem here. If not, it's a real shame.

Siegfried
Old 03-08-2002, 08:50 AM

"Does the headphone pot determine the output for the main outputs as well as phones?"

I WISH ! ! ! No, the headphone volume pot only controls the headhone out. I am thinking about trying to run my monitors off the headphone jack! That would solve the problem, but I think the level coming out of the headphones my be too hot to go to my powered monitors. This puppy might be going back. I guess its back to the 001 for me [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
btw, I got mine at West LA Music. They had about thirty of them testerday. Today they will have thirty one.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:03 AM

I was actually going to reply to my own post. Of course the line outs aren't controlled by the headphone pot-they're line outs. You'd never see this anywhere else. It makes sense to hook up your powered monitors to the rear headphone jack, and your headphones to the front, and then the headphone control will be your control room monitor. As nice as a rear headphone jack mute would be, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this. It will work just fine. I think you're complaining a bit too much over a very good product. Live with it for a while.

Siegfried
Old 03-08-2002, 09:04 AM

Well, I think that the mix pot is incredibly easy to use. All it takes is a little effort and you will find the right mix within seconds. I just wish that people would realize this isn't a replacement for the 001, it is a different product with a different purpose so to compare them is a little tough.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:58 AM

>"As nice as a rear headphone jack mute would be, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this. It will work just fine."

Sorry, but you can only use one or the other NOT BOTH.

>"Well, I think that the mix pot is incredibly easy to use. All it takes is a little effort and you will find the right mix within seconds. "

This is true, my bigger peeve is that you can't just MUTE or TURN OFF the input once something is connected. ie. a guitar. You always have to disconnect it. bummer.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:19 AM

>"They had about thirty of them testerday. Today they will have thirty one."

Just ONE for me, please [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]