Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2023, 11:56 AM

Default ProTools Apollo Twin

Hello,

Need advice about upgrading "home retro recording" system.

My system today:

Mac Pro from 2011 OS X 10.08.5.
Pro Tools HD10 vers 10.3.10
PreSonus AudioBox iTwo. (Replace for sure)

I wish to continue to use ProTools as I have access to another (ProTools) studio for recording drums and other very useful gear and having my music mixed.

I use my home studio only for one or two channel tracking set up. Guitars, synths, vocals. And some editing / pre mixing.

Looking at an Apollo Twin for system upgrade, more plugins etc.

Will a Apollo Twin work fine if I keep this system?

Mac Pro from 2011 OS X 10.08.5.
Pro Tools HD10 vers 10.3.10

As I am more a musician than a tech, any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Echomix; 09-14-2023 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:53 PM
Avid

Default Re: ProTools Apollo Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomix View Post
Hello,

Need advice about upgrading "home retro recording" system.

My system today:

Mac Pro from 2011 OS X 10.08.5. (Ok, upgrade or replace?)
Pro Tools HD10 vers 10.3.10 (Ok, upgrade or replace?)
PreSonus AudioBox iTwo. (Replace for sure)

I wish to continue to use ProTools as I have access to another (ProTools) studio for recording drums and other very useful gear and having my music mixed.

I use my home studio only for one or two channel tracking set up. Guitars, synths, vocals. And some editing / pre mixing.

Looking at an Apollo Twin for system upgrade, more plugins etc. How will a Twin fit into my system today. Upgrades / problems?

As I am more a musician than a tech, any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi There!

You'll need to consider what computer you'd be working on. If you want to upgrade you computer, you'd also probably need to upgrade your version of Pro Tools due to compatibility. You can start by check this https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Not sure with the said hardware but you can check more info on it at https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...m-Requirements

Hope this helps
-Tope

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 09-14-2023, 02:25 AM

You'd have to go back about 10 major versions of UAD software to run on Mac OS Mountain Lion (which is what I think you mean by 10.08.5)

From the Uaudio site: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215267203

OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion v6.3.0 through v8.4.1
Current UAD is version is 10.2.5

Practically speaking, there's a risk that the firmware which comes with a new Twin won't be compatible with versions of UAD software from Nov 2015 (v8.4.1). You will also miss out on all UAD plugins since that date - UAD software is a single monolithic install, you don't add new plugins individually.
Also, be warned that UAD plugins are very addictive - I spent £4500 on them in the course of a few years. Their marketing and visuals are very appealing.

If you want to use your current computer, and your current version of PT, then a different interface would probably be a better choice. Anything by RME will be reliable and have good drivers going back many, many years.

Dominic
Old 09-14-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
Hi There!

You'll need to consider what computer you'd be working on. If you want to upgrade you computer, you'd also probably need to upgrade your version of Pro Tools due to compatibility. You can start by check this https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Not sure with the said hardware but you can check more info on it at https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...m-Requirements

Hope this helps
-Tope
Thanks so much for your replay -:)
Old 09-18-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
You'd have to go back about 10 major versions of UAD software to run on Mac OS Mountain Lion (which is what I think you mean by 10.08.5)

From the Uaudio site: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215267203

OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion v6.3.0 through v8.4.1
Current UAD is version is 10.2.5

Practically speaking, there's a risk that the firmware which comes with a new Twin won't be compatible with versions of UAD software from Nov 2015 (v8.4.1). You will also miss out on all UAD plugins since that date - UAD software is a single monolithic install, you don't add new plugins individually.
Also, be warned that UAD plugins are very addictive - I spent £4500 on them in the course of a few years. Their marketing and visuals are very appealing.

If you want to use your current computer, and your current version of PT, then a different interface would probably be a better choice. Anything by RME will be reliable and have good drivers going back many, many years.

Dominic
Thanks for your reply, very useful!
Old 09-19-2023, 02:30 AM

Thanks again for inputs.
I have decided to go for upgrades and have been offered a second hand mac like this:

MacBook Pro 15`from 2018 / 2019
2,6 GHz 6 core Intel Core i7
Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1536MB
32GB, 2400 MHz DDR4
512GB SSD

Will this work fine with new Pro tools Studio software?
Old 09-19-2023, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomix View Post
Thanks again for inputs.
I have decided to go for upgrades and have been offered a second hand mac like this:

MacBook Pro 15`from 2018 / 2019
2,6 GHz 6 core Intel Core i7
Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1536MB
32GB, 2400 MHz DDR4
512GB SSD

Will this work fine with new Pro tools Studio software?
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...rating-Systems

For the MBP 2019 with 2.6GHz processor:
Supported Software:
Pro Tools 2018.1 - Pro Tools 2023.6

So, it will work. Will it be snappy - probably not. Will the fans on the laptop crank - almost certainly, and definitely if you are running an external screen.

I don't know how much you are paying for that machine, but IMHO you would be better with a second hand M1 powered MB Air or MBP with 16GB RAM.

If you are doing small productions then what you've proposed will most likely be fine. Pro Tools is a bit greedier than most DAWs - just getting all the plates spun up seems to take a bit more power than the alternatives.

Dominic
Old 09-19-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...rating-Systems

For the MBP 2019 with 2.6GHz processor:
Supported Software:
Pro Tools 2018.1 - Pro Tools 2023.6

So, it will work. Will it be snappy - probably not. Will the fans on the laptop crank - almost certainly, and definitely if you are running an external screen.

I don't know how much you are paying for that machine, but IMHO you would be better with a second hand M1 powered MB Air or MBP with 16GB RAM.

If you are doing small productions then what you've proposed will most likely be fine. Pro Tools is a bit greedier than most DAWs - just getting all the plates spun up seems to take a bit more power than the alternatives.

Dominic

Last edited by Echomix; 09-21-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:45 AM

Interesting!
So M1 is a real step up from previous prosessors like the "MBP 2019 alternative"? What about M1 and M2? How important do you consider 16 or 32 RAM in the music prod. setting, and 256 or 512 GB SSD?. Secondhand price of "MBP 2019 alternative" - and MB Air M1 is about the same 1000-1500 euros depending on specs. year modell etc. What is the main difference between MB Air - and the more expensive MBP ? Is it like the extras you have in MBP, you do not need for music production? Sorry if I ask too much ...