Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 AM

Default Trouble using iSCSI SAN and PT 10.3.2?

Apologies for the semi-long post...

Recently, most notabley after upgrading to 10.3.2, I am getting -9073 errors during tracking (24 tracks at 48k on average). This is happening all the time regardless of HW buffersize, Cache size, Quickpunch enabled or not, etc... I have tried all possible combinations. When looking at the system usage, the disk meter spikes often to 100% and if it stays on 100% for a little too long, then I get the -9073 error. I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on a Dual quad 2.26 with 6G RAM. PT ver is 10.3.2. SNS iSCSI initiator is 4.0 Build 204. iSANmp is v 3.1.6.376.

I had Studio Network Solutions techs look at my system and they haven't been able to come to any conclusions. The SAN system has been running flawlessly since we set it up a couple years ago, but now ProTools seems to have changed the way the disk activity works and now I can't record to a SAN over iSCSI.

Maybe more RAM is the key? Maybe something else? I have checked integrity of all cabling to the storage with Fluke equipment and it's all solid. No hocus pocus there.

So, does anyone have any other testimonies or experience with their iSCSI system and PT 10.3.2 in a tracking session with many tracks?
FWIW, before I was getting these errors, I could easily record 100+ tracks at 44.1k without breaking a sweat. Not 24 tracks won't even go.

Any insight to a possible solution is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Trouble using iSCSI SAN and PT 10.3.2?

I was in same boat using DDP. You have to enable Unity Emulation mode. You should consult SNS

By the way I can no longer rename files from PT on these disks
Old 11-22-2012, 04:32 AM

Hi Pythagor,
Are you using your system to record audio over iSCSI? I am using an infortrend appliance with four Gb iSCSI ports on the back which are directly attached to clients. I don't know if my infortrend box has a Unity emulation setting. Is there another name for it and what does it allow the system to do? And what do you mean by not being able to rename files on the disk?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks.
mike
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Hi Mike

We are using DDP that is generally ISCSI system. They have a trick that let your mac thinks that it is dealing with avid unity disks. I am not sure if it works with any system probably it is part of DDP AVFS system. i will ask DDP support

When you double-click on file in PT you have a choice to rename Clip ( region) or the whole file. In Unity mode you do not have the choice. you can rename only clip

you are welcome to ask
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM

This is just a followup report. Since i updated to the latest PT 10.3 version, everything works again as it should.
mike