Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2002, 05:06 PM

Default Anybody use the Finalizer???

I'm a lowly digi001 user who needs to hear some objective opinions about the Finalizer. I believe the digi 001 system is quite good with alternate A/D conversion such as the Rosetta or the Lucid. I think I understand what the word clock does and do not think it has magical powers. I understand the importance of a great mic pre but think those who would pay thousands for one are retarded, or rediculously rich, or just doing what makes clients expect because of Nashville or L.A. or New York studio "buzz".
So anywhy, I'm selling my house because I'm getting a divorce (probabaly too much time with my hobbies) and trading in my Lexus GS 400 for a Z 06 Corvette, moving into an apartment for a few years and have a few thousand bucks left over to spend.

I am buying 1)a Masterlink, 2)a Neuman TCM 103, 3)some low end (apartment volume) powered monitors, and 4) maybe a Mini-Me and possibly 5) a finalizer.

I come to you guys and girls because if you are pros then I am sure you've used the finalizer at least a few times or have listened to traks "mastered" with this product. Keep in mind that the kind of projects I will take on probably do not have the budget for a mastering house. My pay will be mostly just equipment money. I will however be taking on the local scene pretty aggressively because now I'm out of JAIL.

Thanks in advance,

Old Timer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2002, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Anybody use the Finalizer???

Oh, and in case anyone suggests I buy the HD 1 system I have the question I can't quite figure out from the digi site,... the "96" has 16 high Z inputs??? And does your A/D conversion suck too?

Old Timer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 06:31 PM

Hello Dean,
I have a finalizer express (not the high end finalizer at more than double the price--I've seen them at pro audio stores for around 2200 USD compared to 1000 for the express) and though it doesn't have as many options as the high end finalizer--I really like it.
At first I had to do some tweaking to get masters to translate well- but after that I learned to master down to a second computer, through the finalizer, which made bringing up consistent levels for "one off" songs or CD's quite easy. The finalizer has a steeper learning curve than the express- but I love all the I/O options these units have which make it very versatile (I should go into sales by the sound of my post).
Initially, I thought this isn't doing much to my sound, but then I had to remember that it is a mastering device mainly for mult-band compression, limiting, soft-clipping and bringing up the levels (or controlling them) of my mixes. Mileage will vary, but on some of my masters the volume levels were almost too loud.
I hope some of this info helps...Good luck on the divorce (if there's such a thing)...I've been there...no good (depending on your perspective though). LB.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:56 PM

Thanks Hurdy..

Would you say the high end finalizer would be more for the "pro" app, such as network T.V. or something, or for the "pro" studio with a bunch of crazy equipment combos, or for the "nerd" who likes to write his own software (as opposed to the user)??? Is there a sound trade off or really just flexability??

Would the Alex vs. a higher end Lexacon be a similar situation, where they use the same chip (so they sound nearly the same) but the Alex is just sort of presets??

Would it be better for me to buy the express, and go for the Rosetta instead of the Lucid (or maybe step up to the AD-8000 [I think it's called])?

The divorce goes well (have you ever heard that one?) My soon to be ex and I are good friends, and lawyers are only minimally involved [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 07:20 PM

I have a TC finalizer plus I'd be willing to sell (make me an offer)

It's not the 96k version but It is probably the best one for your applications

I'm only selling to use the money for DSP for my protools rig

[email protected]
Old 12-23-2002, 07:34 PM

Hello Dean,
Compared to the Finalizer Express, the Finalizer has 96K capabilities plus EQ, a spectral stereo enhancer/dynamics feature, and a wizard with presets- where I think a person can even store settings. It is more high end, with more menus and options such as LED readouts for routing and parameter adjustment analysis. The Express is definately more stripped down and is more "knob" based (which I like) instead of push buttons- but some major tweaking can be done for those willing to dig in to all those menus.
I'm not sure about the differences in chip architechture of these units, but I know the express is more of a semi-pro unit with the "quick master" in mind versus the Finalizer 96k which is targeted more at the pro studio environment.
DBX (I think) also makes a mastering unit (I can't remember it's name) which some people have discussed. Both websites can help sort through all the different features though......good luck! LB.
PS. I know people won't always agree with my statements but this is what's worked for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]