Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Default Not all regions normalizing equally

Tonight I had to move some files over to Sound Forge to do a batch normalize because Pro Tools 9 was not normalizing files equally.

It was for a phone game, please do not lecture me on the evils of normalizing, I have respect for music, but phone game assets? Don't even start with me

So I had 30 or so regions lined up. Pulled up Normalize, selected peak, region by region, create individual files, level on each chan/track. And PT 9 would normalize most regions on the track, but a few it would not touch. I could select these regions individually and normalize them. But not as part of a group.

What, if anything, was I doing wrong? This is something I'll need to do frequently, so I'd like to find a way around this, short of doing it manually region by region.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PT 9.0.2 on a Mac Pro running 10.6.6.
Assets were 16/44.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Not all regions normalizing equally

Is it possible that there was a previous Find operation in the Regions bin that prevented them from all being selected there? I've seen that happen before. If it happens again, open the Regions bin and see if all regions are showing. Kind of far-fetched, I know. Only thing I can think of.

Nyquist was right.

PT 2019.6 Ultimate | Omni | macOS Sierra
PT 2019.6 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the tip David. I'll have a look at this when it comes up again.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM

A few possibilities:

The regions could be locked.

The regions could already have a peak or transient at 0dB

When selecting multiple regions for normalization, I believe they are normalized as a group. If any one of the regions you selected has peak or transient at 0dB there would be no level change in all of them.

-Dan
Gigabyte EX58-UD5 rev 1.0
Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the reply Dan. Some of the regions were close to zero already. But the normalizing did not process the regions evenly. Some were gained up, others left untouched.

I did select the "region by region" option. Which I thought would get around normalizing them as a group based on the loudest sound...

I swear I have done this hundreds of time and not run into this. I will check into the regions possibly being locked.

Not sure about the find operation. I will check that out.

Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:07 PM

As far as I know, It hasn't worked for a very long time. Do a search and you can see people bringing up this issue years ago. Probably very low on their desire to fix.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) 32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Is it possible that there was a previous Find operation in the Regions bin that prevented them from all being selected there? I've seen that happen before. If it happens again, open the Regions bin and see if all regions are showing. Kind of far-fetched, I know. Only thing I can think of.
If by chance it is this, with the regions that don't work. consolidate the region and try normalize again.
Pro Tools 10.0
Apogee Duet
M-Audio BX5A's
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Thanks Zeuss. I did searches before posting but did not find anything pertaining to this issue. Guess I did not use the right criteria.

I've been using PT 8 do to this process on and off for some time and don't recall issues like this. Either I was less critical to it in the past or just oblivious, I don't know.

@ Slater, the regions were all independent files with no fades, not simply regions from a larger file, It's just as easy to go through and normalize each one as it is to consolidate then normalize. Thanks for the good suggestion though.

I just was able to get around this by pulling all the files from the region list, and placing each file on it's own track (top to bottom timeline drop order instead of left to right), then normalizing.

I think maybe I just do not understand how PT was normalizing, based on the releative regions on a track, instead of behaving like a 2 track editor where if you say "normalize to peak" all files are gained to the new peak regardless of their original peak.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM

You know, I'm on Windows and I've seen this issue before only I didn't recognize it at the time. I did the exact same thing where my workflow was to RMS normalize every clip down to a certain level and them come back with a limiter and bring every clip up to where I ultimately wanted them. In working through the clips after normalizing, there were a few that were unaffected. I just ran the normalize on them again and it then worked. Since I didn't realize what was going on, I didn't even think to investigate.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2019.10, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 PM

hi, i keep a partition of tiger
running pt7
specifically for this reason
(also to hear audio from jam!)

it's not perfect on 7
but it's much better than 8, which is all but unusable.

a great tool for pre leveling instruments like perc or bass
where you don't want the transients shaped by comp/limiting...
and more accurate than, say, vocal rider.

i wish 8 hadn't broke this,
but my guess is a fix for this is up there with updating
the trillium lane assets they bought!

oh well,
e