How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Advantages of PT HD native From PT 9 with CPTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Keep in mind that you can track through plugins on a 003 as well. That's more dependent on your computer power.

The advantage in this area that HD Native gives you is because of the new Avid interfaces. They are a new design that is faster, latency wise, then other interfaces at the same buffer size. So a buffer of 128 feels like 64, 64 feels like 32, etc.

If you only need 2 inputs, your best bet is the HD Omni. It gives you 2 very nice preamps/DI's, plus 2 more line inputs. Plus assignable monitor control from stereo up to 7.1 surround. There's no midi on the unit, but that's old school method anyway. Nowadays it's just as easy to use a midi to usb interface, or a keyboard controller that acts as one, like the Axiom series.

As mentioned, with the trade in program, it might be a good solution to trade in your 003+ and get the HD Native/Omni bundle.
Hi Nst7

Great info, i rang my local dealer and they offered me hardly anything for my 003+ so if i go HD native ill sell it i think.

As for tracking with HD native what plugs were you using i use Mcdsp and waves alot so if i could track with plugins on that would be great. At the mo i use LLM and that turns all the plugins off

Regards

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 AM

BTW, unless someone else knows otherwise, the OMNI is capable of 8 inputs total into Pro Tools(despite its having lightpipe IO on it). I asked this at a demo last night. Too bad as I thought I could get 14 with it, but that's not possible, and the HD IO is a lot more $$.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 AM

Would a RayDAT and ADI-8 Pro be comparable to an HD system?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Raoul23,

For tracking with plugins, you just set the hardware buffer at 64 when recording. This sounds like real time for most practical purposes. This assumes your computer can handle it, as it's more taxing on the computer. If you're doing this after many tracks have been recorded, and there's many plugins on the tracks, it may get harder to do this, but there are workarounds. One is to deactivate (not just bypass) plugins on other tracks while you are doing your recording, and then when you're done you reactivate them for mixdown (and set the buffer higher). The other way is to record a submix of some of your other tracks, then deactivate the original tracks, while you're still doing some of your overdubs. Then, again, when you're done, reactivate those tracks for mixdown.

This works the same way for your 003 as it would for HD Native. The difference is that with the new Avid HD interfaces, with the way they're built, the inherent latency is even lower. You could set the buffer at 128 and it sounds like 64, etc.

In most cases, the only time I need to track with plugins, are using amp simulators, or if I'm recording vocals and want to monitor with a reverb.

Albee, you are correct about the Omni being a total of 8 in, and 4 of those are digital ins. Then there is any combination of 8 out.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM

I wonder if there is any consideration from Avid for the CPTK when moving to HD Native.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM

There is no extra credit, but it's not a problem to sell your complete topknot ilok license to someone for pretty good money.